Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smack Booster NOT the greatest!?!
dirty273 Offline

Sad Smack Booster NOT the greatest!?!
I tested my booster last night without proper conditioning first. It does not produce near the gas it should. I think it is somewhere at .25 or .30 liter/min. I didnt use my multimeter to test actual amps but have an ammeter inline. It moves the needle some but not able to tell exact.

Does everyone just run there cell with the multimeter inline with the booster?

Also is the concensus that S10 has the best setup or are there better setups out there?

To smack or NOT? That is the question.

5 Cell Series
NaOH electrolyte
3.5" X 5" Electrodes
06-20-2008 05:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rebel Offline

RE: Smack Booster NOT the greatest!?!
Sounds like you may have a leak or something else is not right. I built the smack and it produced about 1.5 liters.min without conditioning. After running it for several days and cleaning it out and refilling with distilled water and and 1 tsp of lye ( this turned out to be too much lye once it was installed in the vehicle) it produced just over 1.7 lpm.

It would draw 15 to 20 or 25 amps when installed in the vehicle, but on my bench tests it would only draw about 10 amps due to the length of the wires back to my power suppy.(any testing I do is outdoors with my 35 amp power supply indoors)

Most multimeters are useless for testing amperages over 10 amps as the maximum draw they can take is 10 amps, if your system draws less than 10 amps, go for the multimeter inline, however, with thermal runaway we have witnessed, it will ruin your meter or blow the internal fuse once the amperage goes over the 10.

I have an inline 30 -0- 30 ammeter on my dash with a switch that I can turn the smack off or on. Not familiar with the S10

dirty273 Wrote:I tested my booster last night without proper conditioning first. It does not produce near the gas it should. I think it is somewhere at .25 or .30 liter/min. I didnt use my multimeter to test actual amps but have an ammeter inline. It moves the needle some but not able to tell exact.

Also is the concensus that S10 has the best setup or are there better setups out there?

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2008 07:09 AM by rebel.)
06-20-2008 07:07 AM
jksav7 Offline

Either you didn't build your Smack right or you don't have the electrolyte concentration high enough. Also, it is a good idea to check for resistanceon all your connection points. Do this right after assemble and before getting it wet. There should be very low resistance (1-3 ohms).
But check your concentration first. That may be your problem.

dirty273 Wrote:I tested my booster last night without proper conditioning first. It does not produce near the gas it should. I think it is somewhere at .25 or .30 liter/min. I didnt use my multimeter to test actual amps but have an ammeter inline. It moves the needle some but not able to tell exact.

06-20-2008 09:22 AM
dirty273 Offline

My ammeter is a 60-30-0-30-60 so it is hard to say exact amps. I just wondered how everyone is getting accurate measurements on amps?

5 Cell Series
NaOH electrolyte
3.5" X 5" Electrodes
06-20-2008 09:22 AM
jksav7 Offline

My ammeter isn't the most accurate either. However, if you're only making .25 or so LPM then I would think your booster would only be drawing 5 amps or less. You should be easily able to see the difference between 5 and 10 amps.

dirty273 Wrote:My ammeter is a 60-30-0-30-60 so it is hard to say exact amps. I just wondered how everyone is getting accurate measurements on amps?
06-20-2008 09:43 AM
jcmal Offline

I fab'd a smack, get about 1.5L/min at 13.5V and 20A.

Invest in one of these, the only multi you will need. Mine works great.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605...ccessories

-j
06-20-2008 10:35 AM