Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smack's Gen IV is a dry cell!!
cmac0351 Offline

Smack's Gen IV is a dry cell!!
This is great news because he is a guy who does test after test to get things right and documents everything on youtube to help us all out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyMA7x2wf...re=channel
11-13-2008 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
boeki Offline

RE: Smack's Gen IV is a dry cell!!
so, which is better - a flooded cell maximizing the surface area and having a recirculating electrolyte which helps in cooling but with voltage leak or smack's half-empty design with no recirculating electrolyte but no voltage leak?

is his 7.5 mmw the be all and end all of it all?
11-13-2008 05:49 PM
daddymikey1975 Offline

I don't think this is the be all end all, however i think he's definitely onto something.. he's got a buld that's pretty remarkable for what it is..

I think the idea of 'better' is in the eye of the one looking for the 'best' (it's subjective) :-)

mike
11-14-2008 04:10 AM
Gary Offline

No, "better" will be in two designs. What is perfect for your four won't power your eight. What your eight requires will be too many amps for your four.
After that, I agree with the fully submerged crowd (I am one) and don't need a pump, either. Still, for the record, there is no such thing as a fully flooded cell when operating. The upper portion of any dry cell will be just that; dry. One thing Shane found at MPGSolutions was that the leveling holes had little effect on current leakage. Doug and I have found that there is tracking just around the holes but not further.
To add to that, there's nothing wrong with Smack's (Bob's) design. It just doesn't take advantage of the whole plate, so you ADD plate area for the upper nonworking portion to eliminate the small amount of leakage. My little unit works so well on my fourbanger I'm thinking of adding another unit in parallell to it. That's how efficient it (submerged, no pump) is. 12 amps only nets me 85 degrees F. at 1L/min.
How can you improve on that? Well, I'll guess: Extrapolating on the new Smack, I'll say that, assuming that there is or was a significant amount of "leakage" through the fill holes, one could, instead of drilling holes in the plates at the top, create a manifold over the plates in the plastics. I've done this with H2 separation. But it is a LOT more trouble than simply drilling plates.
The issue or debate remains: current leakage through a 1/4" hole or not? Doug and I found it to be insignificant. The test/proof of this would be two identical units, one with taller plates drilled at the top, and one with the fill holes at the bottom, so that both have the same working surface. Then test each for output, heat, and amps. Test one would be at equal amps, and test two at equal output.
My guess is that they'd be virtually the same.
11-14-2008 07:26 AM