Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smacks Booster trials...
ppomber Offline

Smacks Booster trials...
I have built the Smacks Booster. I have run it with mixed results. I find it generates a lot of heat, and will leak if you don't use good tubing seals.
Fuel cell is made of 16 blank SS switch plates. Close to the early Smacks Booster Instruction, with all the plates spooned together. (Try screwing THAT into the fuel cell tube! Anyone who has made it that way will know what I'm talking about! Anyone else who's serious, just ASK)
Test mule is a 7KW generator, with two fixed loads; 1KW resistance heater and a AC clock timer. Burns 1 ounce of gasoline per minute. Runs exactly 30 minutes on 30 ounces of regular unleaded. With fuel cell connected (to a [running] car battery and operating at around 25-30 amps the best improvement was it running 40 minutes on 30 minutes worth of gas. Thats a 1/3rd improvement. I have yet to repeat it. On that test I melted the lid of the fuel cell due to a bad connection generating a lot of extra heat. I have since found that the connections are best made with 3-4 inch SS carriage bolts with the connections double nutted.
Electrolyte...Started with about a level teaspoon of pure lye (sodium hydroxide) to a gallon of distilled water.
This produced a strong reaction, the electrolyte had so much bubbles you couldn't see the plates just 1/2 inch below the liquid level. It also produced a lot of heat. The electrolyte was about 150-170 F after 1/2 hour of operation. Also makes some GREAT exploding bubbles if you put the outlet of the fuel cell in a bottle of water mixed with soap...a good way to test the quality of the gas...BANG!!!
I have fitted my fuel cell with a thermometer, and I am currently working on a manometer to give me a base line for gas production. The manometer will be installed between the fuel cell and the bubbler. Liquid levels in the cell and bubbler will be controlled to give better and more consistent results on the manometer.
Also currently in process...electric tool etcher followed by sand blasting treatment for the reactive plate faces.
I AM STOKED!!! I want this to work...
06-22-2008 12:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply