Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Something Ive noticed, Computer related.
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

Something Ive noticed, Computer related.
From what I can tell you must reset your computer after adding HHO.

When your car first turns on from being without power for over 20 mins (no battery power) it builds a "program" on how to run the car. It takes readings from sensors and such and build running parameters.

Now Ive been tinkering with this HHO stuff on the car for about a month now and I've come to notice I get better results after resetting the computer after adding the HHO rather than not.

Today I re-hooked up my system, had to have it off for various reasons, and noticed, with my scan gauge II, that it idle it would bounce around from 690-750, now normally its rock steady around 700, 695-710. So I reset the computer and bam back to rock steady at around 700. The car doesnt realize we are adding something after it built its program, it may eventually adapt itself to it, but this speeds the process way up.

The way to reset your computer is to unhook one of your battery cables and leave it unhooked for about 25 mins. So say you can disconnect the battery and do something like hit the brakes or turn on your headlights and it instantly resets it by discharging the capacitors on your car. I don't know if there is any truth to this so I just unhook mine for about a half hour.
07-10-2008 03:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Something Ive noticed, Computer related.
... on my vehicles, I'd have to set the radio stations and clock each time. Hmm

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-10-2008 08:25 PM
nismotekk Offline

tjh566 Wrote:From what I can tell you must reset your computer after adding HHO.

When your car first turns on from being without power for over 20 mins (no battery power) it builds a "program" on how to run the car. It takes readings from sensors and such and build running parameters.

Now Ive been tinkering with this HHO stuff on the car for about a month now and I've come to notice I get better results after resetting the computer after adding the HHO rather than not.

Today I re-hooked up my system, had to have it off for various reasons, and noticed, with my scan gauge II, that it idle it would bounce around from 690-750, now normally its rock steady around 700, 695-710. So I reset the computer and bam back to rock steady at around 700. The car doesnt realize we are adding something after it built its program, it may eventually adapt itself to it, but this speeds the process way up.

The way to reset your computer is to unhook one of your battery cables and leave it unhooked for about 25 mins. So say you can disconnect the battery and do something like hit the brakes or turn on your headlights and it instantly resets it by discharging the capacitors on your car. I don't know if there is any truth to this so I just unhook mine for about a half hour.

HMMM...Good thought, I will try this. If you touch the positive and negative battery cables together it will kill the caps faster also!-Chris
07-11-2008 02:58 AM
Gary Offline

I did that to no avail. My mechanic told me that it does nothing to the computer. I dunno if he's right or not.
07-11-2008 04:19 AM
rebel Offline

I have noticed the same thing, but all I do is pull the fuse for the ECU out and put it back in about 15 minutes.

First noticed when I installed the EFIE, I kept going into Open Loop and trouble codes when adjusting the voltage. By turning the ignition on (not running engine) then setting the EFIE voltage with fuse pulled....Replacing the fuse and starting the engine, I found I could now adjust the EFIE to any voltage without going into Open Loop. Like you said, it appears that the ECU seeing this new voltage from the O2 is learning the new parameters and accepts them.

I always pull the ECU fuse when adding any enhancers and I have had no problems with trouble codes coming up since.

tjh566 Wrote:From what I can tell you must reset your computer after adding HHO.

07-11-2008 04:30 AM
HHOe Offline

I'm glad i read this thread today because this was something i actually thought about doing today. The thought came to me when i recieved my emission test schedule for my other car and for the past two years i've had to reset codes by disconnecting the battery. once i would go to get the emmision test, the guys there would ask if i had any work done or the batter disconnected because there was sufficient data in the ecu. i would have to drive it for about a week or so. That sucked because i couldn't determine when that damn error code would come up. Anyway, i'll be doing this today. thanks

2001 Chevy S-10 2.2 5 speed
22-23 before
27-33 after
07-11-2008 05:40 AM
rebel Offline

Gary Wrote:I did that to no avail. My mechanic told me that it does nothing to the computer. I dunno if he's right or not.

I am surprised about the comment by the mechanic because I have noticed over the years anytime I have had the battery disconnected, sometimes during repairs being done, the engine would run a bit rough for the first little while.

I recently had a battery replaced by CAA in my parking lot and the guy told me that my engine would not run perfectly until it got a bit of running due to the ECU being disconnected from battery voltage.

I guess we will have to ask more mechanics to see what the answer is lol
07-11-2008 06:28 AM
bwilson11 Offline

rebel Wrote:
Gary Wrote:I did that to no avail. My mechanic told me that it does nothing to the computer. I dunno if he's right or not.

I am surprised about the comment by the mechanic because I have noticed over the years anytime I have had the battery disconnected, sometimes during repairs being done, the engine would run a bit rough for the first little while.

I recently had a battery replaced by CAA in my parking lot and the guy told me that my engine would not run perfectly until it got a bit of running due to the ECU being disconnected from battery voltage.

I guess we will have to ask more mechanics to see what the answer is lol
what you are speaking about is called idle strategy, the vehicle relearns. after its memory has been erased. it is not uncommon for the vehicle to shift a little different or even stall once or twice. after erase. but it collects new data and is fine
07-11-2008 06:50 AM
rnotme Offline

The ECU having to reset/re-learn after power has been removed is very common with OBD-I GM Vehicles. I own 2 92 Chevy Luminas and if you disconnect the battery for any length of time you have to drive them for at least 20 minutes for the ECU to reset fully.

I forgot to do that to my wifes car after I changed the battery and boy I got hell for it.

"WTF DID YOU DO TO MY CAR!!!!!"

lol
07-11-2008 08:15 AM
Gary Offline

Mine is a 2000 Silverado 5.3 - maybe that's why.
07-11-2008 08:38 AM