Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spark Plug appearance
RetNav Offline

Spark Plug appearance
I was registered under the username wswilley but couldn't get on, so I reregistered.

I have installed a Hydrosuper 2 unit on a 2001 Hyundai Elantra with the 2.0 motor. Also installed an EFIE purchased from an affiliate of Mikes.

As posted under wswilley thread I got excellent results.

Yesterday I received some Halo plugs to put in the car and when I pulled the old ones the insulation at the tip looked like they had been sand blasted pure white. My Chilton manual shows pictures of the plugs in many conditions and this appears to confirm a lean running condition.

I will try to post pictures to this thread later. (have to figure out how)
07-28-2008 03:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tesla Offline

RE: Spark Plug appearance
Those Halo plugs look like a variant on the old JC Whitney Fire-Ring(name?)...they used a stamped disc ground electrode that had a central opening (like the Halo) along with holes around the periphery. Nothing is really new, except perhaps for my concept of a spark plug :-)

...same thing we do every night Pinky, plan to take over the world!
07-28-2008 07:52 AM
nismotekk Offline

RetNav Wrote:I was registered under the username wswilley but couldn't get on, so I reregistered.

I have installed a Hydrosuper 2 unit on a 2001 Hyundai Elantra with the 2.0 motor. Also installed an EFIE purchased from an affiliate of Mikes.

Yesterday I received some Halo plugs to put in the car and when I pulled the old ones the insulation at the tip looked like they had been sand blasted pure white. My Chilton manual shows pictures of the plugs in many conditions and this appears to confirm a lean running condition.

I see it all of the time, dont worry about it. Cars now are so heavily sensored that it would throw a light if it was running too lean. What is the mileage on the vehicle? Were they original plugs?
07-28-2008 08:04 AM
RetNav Offline

nismotekk Wrote:
RetNav Wrote:I was registered under the username wswilley but couldn't get on, so I reregistered.

I see it all of the time, dont worry about it. Cars now are so heavily sensored that it would throw a light if it was running too lean. What is the mileage on the vehicle? Were they original plugs?

The plugs that came out were NGK platinum, but don't know if they were original. The car has 119,000 miles on it now and I have owned it for the last three years.

Looking at the plug tip under the J hook on the back of the insulator you can tell that before the HHO injection they were a tan color.

I posted because of reading that lean running would cause that appearance and was hoping this was indicative on the more complete burning of HHO and gas.Crazy
07-28-2008 01:20 PM
mgmrick Offline

My thought is you are running too lean...bad thing?
07-28-2008 01:21 PM
Mark Blab Offline

Yes I would agree too lean bad. I've been a Auto Mechanic for many years do not run too lean the plugs should have a slight tan look to them, the reason I say slight is because you are introducing hho, if you run too lean you will eventually destroy exhaust valves and you may burn a hole in the top of the piston, I've seen it on vehicles were people install plugs that were at a higher operating range than recommended. If you really want to tell buy a hand held temp sensor and hold it to the exhaust manifold it should not read higher that 800-850 degrees ,or you could rev it up at night with the hood open and see if the manifold glows red.
07-28-2008 02:28 PM
tesla Offline

Dammit Mark, git outta my head LOL! I was going to suggest the same thing regarding the handheld temp sensor. I use that on a bazillion things and was going to baseline my EGT before installing HHO and after to insure I wasn't tempting the burnt valve gods.

How many engines have you seen with cherry red manifolds during break-in? Scary stuff...that's why I always run a high volume shop fan in front of a vehicle with a fresh engine.

...same thing we do every night Pinky, plan to take over the world!
07-28-2008 04:08 PM
Mark Blab Offline

tesla Wrote:Dammit Mark, git outta my head LOL! I was going to suggest the same thing regarding the handheld temp sensor. I use that on a bazillion things and was going to baseline my EGT before installing HHO and after to insure I wasn't tempting the burnt valve gods.

How many engines have you seen with cherry red manifolds during break-in? Scary stuff...that's why I always run a high volume shop fan in front of a vehicle with a fresh engine.

It's even scarier when you are working on one and touch the manifold by accident that's how i know what burning human flesh smells like oh yeah and that trip I made to hell once, oh did I say hell I meant Philly.
07-28-2008 04:34 PM
baracuda Offline

That's what scares me about offsetting sensor values. You basically take the warning that there's a potential problem away.

Like Mark and Tesla said, You could straight up burn a hole in the top of his piston or dump a couple valves and never know it.

I'm sure there's a margain that can be safely played in but if you go outside that margain.......It probably won't happen overnight but eventually you could be sacrificing some hard parts.

Again, as Mark and Tesla said check the temp at the exhaust manifolds.

You can't skin a fish before you catch it !
07-28-2008 05:10 PM
Mark Blab Offline

That right you can't unless the water's really hot or you dump a bunch of chemicals into the lake. Sorry any greenies out there.
07-28-2008 05:15 PM