Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Starting simple
Malice 1 Offline

Starting simple
Quick Intro:
This is my first post. I drive a 94 chevy camaro z28. I am a USMC strike fighter pilot. I'm tired of supporting the oil companies, and the carbon footprint I make in my jet in 1 flight is more than most of you will make in your lifetime. I figured it's about time for me to help out the environment a little, since I do ALOT to destroy it.

My camaro is considered a gas hog by most, but I have been getting stellar results with simple mods. It has a huge aftermarket, so I'm having an easy time. I have been runing very strict testing on my MPG during my weekly commutes.

I bought the car with an aftermarket cold air intake and flowmaster catback exhaust. When I drove it like a typical camaro owner, I was getting 19-21mpg highway.

First mod: Slow down!! I restricted my speed to 4mph over the limit on any given road. I also restricted my shifting(manual trans) to 2200rpm, and accelerations to 20% throttle. This alone brought me up to 28.2mpg. I use this as a baseline.

My next mod was increasing the tire pressure from 33psi, to 44psi. I feel that high pressure is unsafe in any weather except hot dry weather, so I change it often. 44psi in all tires got me 29.4mpg.

Next I removed my tool kit, gym bag, and ALL OTHER junk in the car that wasn't absolutley necessary for the trip I was taking. I had been toting around 70lb of junk in the trunk! Thats a big difference on a 3300lb car. I also gave the car a good wash/detail/claybar/wax, but I doubt that the decrease in laminar flow over the body really did anything for mpg. I got 31.6mpg on that series of tests.

That is what my tests have gotten me so far.

Next I plan on installing a set of edelbrock mid-length headers, a high flow catalytic converter, and new o2 sensors for less restrictive exhaust flow.. Shortly after that I'll put on underdrive pulleys for less engine accessory drag.

I am also starting to build a smacks booster, or HHO thingy. Call it what you want. I want to install that along with a dual o2 EFIE, and then tune the EFIE with an innovate LM-1 wideband sensor. I used to work on drag cars, and I have blown more than one engine due to lean conditions. I think it's a little dangerous to blindly lean out the o2 sensors with an EFIE. Luckily, a friend of mine has a wideband sensor I can use to tune my narrowbands.

Finally, I'll add roller tipped rocker arms to my valvetrain, for less unessesary drag. My final goal for everything is 45mpg highway. Do you think I can do it??

1994 Chevy camaro Z28 5.7L V8 M6
33mpg & climbing
04-24-2008 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fess40 Offline

RE: Starting simple
I've heard of similar numbers being achieved, so I wouldn't say it's impossible. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.
04-25-2008 12:28 PM
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

Wow, You increased your mpg about %46 just by changing some habits. Impressed.

Anyway, 45 mpg is feasible I think. I'm getting around that (coming from 28-31 mpg), and this is before I install an EFIE next week.
Great job on working to decrease your environmental footprint. Looks like your making good progress to start! Cool
04-25-2008 02:13 PM
colchiro Offline

Do you have electric cooling fans behind the radiator?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-25-2008 02:47 PM
mike Offline

I think you can do it. Your approach is quite methodical. You might want to check out the article Tuning For Mileage, which you may need to achieve your goal. Also, there are quite a few articles on HHO, oxygen sensors and engine tuning on this page.

Good luck Marine!

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-25-2008 03:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Malice 1 Offline

Just a quick update on my Non-HHO related progress.

I installed 23% underdrive pulleys, and aerodynamic headlight covers for less drag. If you've seen a 94 camaro you know why I bought them. I have also installed a dual EFIE, but no HHO booster.

My previous best highway MPG was 31.5. On a duplicate test to verify those results, I got 30.9. My best MPG with the windows down was 28.8mpg.

With the mods mentioned above, I got 32.9mpg with the Windows down! Thats a pretty good improvement. I used poor research methods for this test, since I tested 3 variables at the same time. I dont' know which one made the most difference. I was like a kid at christmas with all these new toys, and I couldn't resist installing them all.

My EFIE was set at 190mV on both banks. Before the EFIE, I was indicating 14.7-15.4 AFR on my wideband gauge. WIth the EFIE dialed in, I was indicating 15.3-15.7 AFR. It's definatley working. I might try and lean it out a little more with no HHO, but not much.

I might do my next test with my EFIE turned off to test the results of the headlight covers and underdrive pulleys. I imagine the underdrive pulleys aren't doing much right now since I have a cam driven water pump, but once I start using air conditioning, that 23% underdrive is gonna make a big difference.

33mpg & climbing
06-13-2008 03:39 PM
Dino Offline

Your getting impressive mileage already almost as good as a new Toyota Corolla.Smile
06-13-2008 05:06 PM
steelerfan89 Offline

A large part of the gains are due to driving habits. 2200 RPMs have to be tough to stay under.
06-13-2008 06:12 PM
Malice 1 Offline

steelerfan89 Wrote:A large part of the gains are due to driving habits. 2200 RPMs have to be tough to stay under.

Ha. Not when you have 350ft-lbs of torque almost off idle.

I'm getting really used to my relaxed energy management style of driving. I'm worried I'm gonna really stink if I ever get back into amateur racing.

The vacuum gauge is helping out ALOT for driving habits. I recommend one to anyone with a manual transmission.

33mpg & climbing
06-13-2008 06:37 PM