Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Suggestions
xcite Offline

Suggestions
First I must complement Mike on having very good communication and support for his product.

I thought I would put together a little info for some that may not realize a few things about hoh systems. With out knowing some of this you can cause damage and or hurt yourself.

One of the first things with any booster is that the plates must be conditioned, and cleaned thoughly before they will perform properly. During this you should never touch them or the inside of the unit with your bare hands so you do not contaminate it.

Another very important point is that the concentration of your electrolyte will dictate how many amps the system will pull when in operation, but will also be affected by the temp of the unit. Also putting 12 volts at a single cell unit will cause it to get quite hot after long periods of operation.

Which brings me to electrolyte's, there are several choices here but remember some get consumed while the unit is running and just topping these off will reduce your concentration in the cell and lower output. Also the consumption of these cause other gases to be produced also. Below I have listed a few electrolytes and their byproducts and listed if they are consumed or not.

1. baking soda- is consumed in the cell during operation and besides hydrogen produces carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide in the process.

2. koh- is not consumed in anything but extremely small amounts, but as water level goes down concentration goes up drawing more amps. Only hydrogen and oxygen produced in any quanity.

NaOH- is not consumed in the process with very similair results as koh.

3.salt- DO NOT USE!!! IT PRODUCES A DANGEROUS CHLORINE GAS as part of its byproduct.

Another very important note is some electrolytes should not be used with certain materials as it degrades them and can cause failure. See here for some info on this
http://www.eskimo dot com/~ghawk/h-o/chemchrt.htm

I am by no means an expert at any of this but can not stress enough about educating yourself before just jumping into something. Another good site [/u](one of many) with alot of good info on this is
oupower dot com
03-20-2008 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Suggestions
Good tips, xcite. Thanks. And welcome to the forum.

Since it seems like an appropriate point, I'll add an advice of my own:

I've covered this in other threads as well, but make sure you're HHO unit turns off when the engine isn't running. There are a number of tricks to achieve this, but using a relay and your oil pressure light switch is probably the easiest. We've had one poster describe the results of an HHO unit accidentally running for several hours with the engine not running, and blowing off his hood, head and various sundry other parts of his engine when he started it up. He may have even lost his girlfriend, who was with him at the time! So I plug this often. Make sure you devise a foolproof method of turning off your HHO unit when the engine is not running.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-20-2008 02:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcite Offline

Yes that is an extreme must and to go one step further if you do go with a very high output multicell unit you should have even more items. such as a bubbler between the cells and the engine, a solenoid valve between the bubbler and the engine, and a pressure releif valve at the cells. These are mainly for those trying to reduce there fuel extremely low with high outputs of hydrogen.

Small amounts of hydrogen/oxygen mix are very powerfull.
03-20-2008 03:02 PM
colchiro Offline

Well, I just sealed my unit after handling it (a lot) and now I read the plates should be clean and conditioned. Is there some way to clean it by rinsing through the cleaning holes in my unit? Would alcohol, dish soap or vinegar clean it?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-20-2008 06:01 PM
xcite Offline

Alot of the conditioning and cleaning depends on what you are going to use as your electrolyte. There are alot of good threads on this at oupower site. There are also alot of other sites, but I have found this one to be full of alot of valuable information on this topic and alot of people sharing there testing and knoledge. But no don't use soap or alcohol. Just do a search on that site and your questions should be answered. When you do the proper conditioning and cleaning your cell will perform better and more consistant as well as more efficent.
03-20-2008 08:13 PM
DragonWhip Offline

colchiro Wrote:Well, I just sealed my unit after handling it (a lot) and now I read the plates should be clean and conditioned. Is there some way to clean it by rinsing through the cleaning holes in my unit? Would alcohol, dish soap or vinegar clean it?

. The preparation of the plates is one most important steps in producing an electrolyser which works well. This is a long task, but it is vital that it is not skimped or hurried in any way. Surprisingly, brand new shiny stainless steel is not particularly suitable for use in an electrolyser and it needs to receive careful treatment and preparation before it will produce the expected level of gas output.

The first step is to treat both surfaces of every plate to encourage gas bubbles to break away from the surface of the plate. This could be done by grit blasting, but if that method is chosen, great care must be taken that the grit used does not contaminate the plates. Stainless steel plates are not cheap and if you get grit blasting wrong, then the plates will be useless as far as electrolysis is concerned. A safe method which Bob much prefers is to score the plate surface with coarse sandpaper. This is done in two different directions to produce a cross-hatch pattern. This produces microscopic sharp peaks and valleys on the surface of the plate and those sharp points and ridges are ideal for helping bubbles to form and break free of the plate.

Bob uses a 6 inch x 48 inch belt sander which is great for preparing the plates and the uses it all the time now with 60 or 80 grit. Always wear rubber gloves when handling the plates to avoid getting finger marks on the plates. Wearing these gloves is very important as the plates must be kept as clean and as grease-free as possible, ready for the next stages of their preparation.

Any particles created by the sanding process should now be washed off the plates. This can be done with clean tap water (not city water though, due to all the chlorine and other chemicals added), but only use distilled water for the final rinse. Thanks to Bob Boyce. Later.
03-20-2008 09:13 PM
mike Offline

Thanks guys.

For those that haven't seen the reference on Bob Boyce's electrolyser plans, you can read it for yourself here. It's in pdf format.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-20-2008 10:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DragonWhip Offline

mike Wrote:Thanks guys.

For those that haven't seen the reference on Bob Boyce's electrolyser plans, you can read it for yourself here. It's in pdf format.

Thanks Mike,New on this board. Later
03-21-2008 09:49 AM
mike Offline

No problem, and welcome to the forum DragonWhip.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-21-2008 09:58 AM
colchiro Offline

DW is one of my "associates" from the e85vehicles forum. Cool

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-21-2008 10:30 AM