Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Terrible results
Darth Offline

Terrible results
We built and installed a Tero cell on my son's 2002 Honda Civic SI. Since he commutes a fairly long distance, we felt that his car would be a good test. The cell appears to be working well with lots of bubbles and pulls about 15amps.

Mileage dropped from 27mpg to 25mpg.

We then purchased and installed an EFIE deluxe and set it to 200mv per the instructions.

Mileage dropped from 25mpg to 20mpg.

We reset the EFIE to 300mv and mileage appears to have dropped even more but was turned off due to cost of gasoline.
11-12-2008 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
realtyroy Offline

RE: Terrible results
Darth Wrote:We built and installed a Tero cell on my son's 2002 Honda Civic SI. Since he commutes a fairly long distance, we felt that his car would be a good test. The cell appears to be working well with lots of bubbles and pulls about 15amps.

Mileage dropped from 27mpg to 25mpg.

We then purchased and installed an EFIE deluxe and set it to 200mv per the instructions.

Mileage dropped from 25mpg to 20mpg.

We reset the EFIE to 300mv and mileage appears to have dropped even more but was turned off due to cost of gasoline.

I'm just thinking out loud here but you might want to set the efie to around 150 and then unhook the battery for a few minutes so the computer will lose it intuitive memory.
Maybe having the computer re-learn with the efie set first might help. It wont hurt anything to try and doesn't take very long.

Good Luck!

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
11-12-2008 11:30 AM
Darth Offline

After re reading "How to read your EFIE" I am beginning to wonder if we have wired our EFIE up right. With the probes in the EFIE (red into red and black into black) the meter jumps all over the place with the engine running. Shutting off the engine (but ignition on) gives a good solid number that we've been using to set the EFIE at the 200 and then 300mv. According to the above document, we should be getting the offset with the engine running.

According to Honda, the green wire coming from the O2 sensor should be the signal wire (it also goes through the connector still green). We made our splice right after the connector.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2008 12:10 PM by Darth.)
11-12-2008 12:06 PM
mike Offline

Your Honda has AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) sensors, rather than oxygen sensors. I am speaking only about the sensors that are upstream of the catalytic converter. EFIEs will not work with AFR sensors.

We are about to release a beta version of an AFR version of the EFIE, but as far as I know, no one is producing a working sensor mod for 4 - wire wide band sensors, also called AFR or A/F sensors. You can contact support@fuelsaver-mpg.com to get one of these.

The reason you are getting crazy readings is that the AFR sensor is attempting to communicate to the computer by means of a variable current, rather than a variable voltage. The EFIE is designed to handle a voltage. AFR sensors supply a variable current.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-12-2008 01:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
realtyroy Offline

mike Wrote:Your Honda has AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) sensors, rather than oxygen sensors. I am speaking only about the sensors that are upstream of the catalytic converter. EFIEs will not work with AFR sensors.

We are about to release a beta version of an AFR version of the EFIE, but as far as I know, no one is producing a working sensor mod for 4 - wire wide band sensors, also called AFR or A/F sensors. You can contact support@fuelsaver-mpg.com to get one of these.

The reason you are getting crazy readings is that the AFR sensor is attempting to communicate to the computer by means of a variable current, rather than a variable voltage. The EFIE is designed to handle a voltage. AFR sensors supply a variable current.

Mike you say that the Beta version of the A/F enhancer is coming out soon, like a couple of weeks or are we talking a month or so?

Thanks!

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
11-12-2008 01:43 PM
colchiro Offline

Roy, the design is close to final, but it could be close to a month before the bare boards come back and are assembled.

I see you got in with no problem.Wink

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-12-2008 03:28 PM
mike Offline

Probably a month. The initial prototype has been fully worked out. We're now just adding a delay to the circuit, so it won't start leaning until 30 seconds after startup. This will allow the engine to get going while cold before leaning the mixture.

After that we still have to redraw it for production, and then we will do a limited run of about 100 boards, and do a quick beta test program. We expect to have those boards ready in about a month. Contact support@fuelsaver-mpg.com if you would like to be contacted when these are ready. I think they'll go fast.

In our tests we were able to smoothly lean the mix from 14:7 to 1, to above 22 to 1. After that our external wide band air fuel ratio gauge just read "LEAN", as 22 to 1 was the top of it's scale.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-12-2008 03:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply