Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Testing a MAF enhancer
cmac0351 Offline

Testing a MAF enhancer
I built my first sensor enhancer and was wondering the best way to test it to see if I did it right.
05-30-2008 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
qsiguy Offline

RE: Testing a MAF enhancer
Can you elaborate on what exactly you built and how you installed it. Is it fixed or adjustable? Did you wire it on the input of the sensor or the output? Depending how you did it will determine methods of checking. For example, if you have a pot for adjustments, you should notice a change in the idle/timing if you turn it up/down. In order to accurately test is you really need to be able to take readings on the output wire with the mod off and on and compare the readings.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
05-30-2008 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmac0351 Offline

I haven't installed it yet. I was wanting to test it before to make sure everything was connected right. I built it like the water for gas one, with two pots. It would be wired to the output of the sensor.

I actually figured I could test it with a plain old AA battery, so I held two of the three wires (input and ground) up to the AA and checked the 3rd wire with a multimeter. As I turned the dial the voltage would go down, but not steadily, more like in spurts (it is a linear pot).

qsiguy Wrote:Can you elaborate on what exactly you built and how you installed it. Is it fixed or adjustable? Did you wire it on the input of the sensor or the output? Depending how you did it will determine methods of checking. For example, if you have a pot for adjustments, you should notice a change in the idle/timing if you turn it up/down. In order to accurately test is you really need to be able to take readings on the output wire with the mod off and on and compare the readings.
05-30-2008 05:39 PM
Atfab Offline

[quote=cmac0351]
I haven't installed it yet. I was wanting to test it before to make sure everything was connected right. I built it like the water for gas one, with two pots. It would be wired to the output of the sensor.

I actually figured I could test it with a plain old AA battery, so I held two of the three wires (input and ground) up to the AA and checked the 3rd wire with a multimeter. As I turned the dial the voltage would go down, but not steadily, more like in spurts (it is a linear pot).

cmack, What value is the pot (ohms) and what kind, carbon or wire wound?
cheap wire ones or a dirty carbon ones can be a problem.

atfab

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
06-01-2008 07:05 AM
cmac0351 Offline

Atfab Wrote:[quote=cmac0351]

cmack, What value is the pot (ohms) and what kind, carbon or wire wound?
cheap wire ones or a dirty carbon ones can be a problem.

atfab

Actually I figured out the problem. It was my extreme noobness, lol. I had my multimeter on the battery test setting, so it was going from "good" to "replace" for the battery. After I put it on the right place, it worked like a charm.

I used 50k ohm pots from Radio Shack.
06-01-2008 10:33 PM