Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Testing the ignitability of the MAF sensor?
irishmick22 Offline

Testing the ignitability of the MAF sensor?
Has anyone tried bubbling their hho through soapy water and then tried igniting the bubbles with say a red hot paperclip? I thought of this after I installed my cell and I used barbed connections so I'd have to cut my tubing to test it. But I have a co-worker who is building a cell also so if no one else has tested to see if the hydrogen will ignite using a torch heated paperclip I'll see if he'll give it a go.

Pretty simple solution to see if hho will ignite running by your maf sensor or whether it requires an open flame/spark.

I have to also add that yes you would be testing the full HHO gas rather than the diluted HHO + whatever comes in the intake so maybe this would not be a good test...
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2008 12:54 PM by irishmick22.)
07-19-2008 11:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nismotekk Offline

RE: Testing the ignitability of the MAF sensor?
irishmick22 Wrote:Has anyone tried bubbling their hho through soapy water and then tried igniting the bubbles with say a red hot paperclip? I thought of this after I installed my cell and I used barbed connections so I'd have to cut my tubing to test it. But I have a co-worker who is building a cell also so if no one else has tested to see if the hydrogen will ignite using a torch heated paperclip I'll see if he'll give it a go.

Pretty simple solution to see if hho will ignite running by your maf sensor or whether it requires an open flame/spark.

I have had that same thought, I even thought about putting 5 volts to an old MAF and sending some hydrogen through it. Never did it though.
07-19-2008 12:55 PM
colchiro Offline

There's a long history of people here injecting hho before the sensor without problems.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-19-2008 02:18 PM
irishmick22 Offline

colchiro Wrote:There's a long history of people here injecting hho before the sensor without problems.

I agree that many people do inject before the maf sensor. As I was debating where I should inject mine, I ended up injecting it right at my air filter as well. Way before the maf sensor. The dilution with incoming air I am hoping (crossed fingers) will result in no maf sensor ignition. In saying that though what does it hurt if someone is interested to see if there is any issue, albeit maybe a rare one. Call me curious. I'm still going to run mine for now, but should a hot paper clip or as nismoteck suggested running 5 volts over an old maf sensor cause any ignition I will definitely rethink my placement. I don't have an old maf sensor, but I or my co-worker will be trying the paper clip test in the next few days.
Call it a mythbust if you will. I simply want to see if the warning has any factual basis to it or if it is all fluff...

Colchiro -- If it does ignite do you want me to let you know or since there is a long history here do you not care?
07-19-2008 02:28 PM
colchiro Offline

irishmick22 Wrote:If it does ignite do you want me to let you know or since there is a long history here do you not care?

I didn't say I didn't care.Hmm

I just said I'm not aware of any incidents. Yes, I'd be interested if you find something.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-19-2008 02:50 PM
irishmick22 Offline

My apologies then. It just seemed like you were putting down even the effort based upon the forum history. I'll post once I can test it.
07-19-2008 02:57 PM