Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"This stuff is going to eat my engine" TEST RESULTS
dogchow Offline

"This stuff is going to eat my engine" TEST RESULTS
Ok guys. Got something open for debate. Waiting for work to start up again (bored) so I decided to test the pH levels and alkalinity levels of electrolyte, vapor created and exhaust water. Just to see what’s up with “it’s going to eat my engine” concern and see what’s sitting in our exhaust systems.

My tools are a pool water test kit (I know it’s all I’ve got). It’s the reagent type and not the dippy sticks so it’s better. First off my electrolyte is NaOH but in liquid form. 1.75cc/ 32oz. of distilled water. Nothing else. I tried to capture the vapor in a bubbler (“Control Bubbler”) of distilled water only. The “Control Bubbler” is the reading of distilled water only before bubbling. The “Vapor” is after running 1. ½ hrs. and checking the “Control Bubbler” water for a difference. The “Exhaust Only” is I tried to catch vapor in an empty jar before going into the engine. Couldn’t get any but tested the exhaust water. Backing up…. 2-32oz jars with first breathing (bubbling) dumping into the next but no bubbling then into the bubbler or empty jar then to engine.
Before I go there check this site out for the pH chart of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBA...l/ph.html. So here are the results:

.....................Electrolyte......Vapor......Control Bubbler......Exhaust Only......Bubbled Exhaust
......Alkalinity....2000+ppm......10ppm...........10ppm...............15ppm.....​...........20ppm
......pH..................10.............7.6................7.5.................​..7.7....................6.2
With all this in mind regular water is approx. 7.3pH and 20ppm alkaline. I tested our rain water and pH was 6.8 which is our “acid rain”. Might want to move to a dryer and check valve instead of a bubbler??? Draw your own conclusion. Refer back to the chart if needed. No scientist obviously hence the pool tester. I dig holes in the earth for a living. So before your comments I’ll be heading back to my hole shortly. Enjoy!!!!
07-31-2008 11:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stevekos7 Offline

RE: "This stuff is going to eat my engine" TEST RESULTS
dogchow Wrote:Ok guys. Got something open for debate. Waiting for work to start up again (bored) so I decided to test the pH levels and alkalinity levels of electrolyte, vapor created and exhaust water. Just to see what’s up with “it’s going to eat my engine” concern and see what’s sitting in our exhaust systems.

My tools are a pool water test kit (I know it’s all I’ve got). It’s the reagent type and not the dippy sticks so it’s better. First off my electrolyte is NaOH but in liquid form. 1.75cc/ 32oz. of distilled water. Nothing else. I tried to capture the vapor in a bubbler (“Control Bubbler”) of distilled water only. The “Control Bubbler” is the reading of distilled water only before bubbling. The “Vapor” is after running 1. ½ hrs. and checking the “Control Bubbler” water for a difference. The “Exhaust Only” is I tried to catch vapor in an empty jar before going into the engine. Couldn’t get any but tested the exhaust water. Backing up…. 2-32oz jars with first breathing (bubbling) dumping into the next but no bubbling then into the bubbler or empty jar then to engine.
Before I go there check this site out for the pH chart of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBA...l/ph.html. So here are the results:

.....................Electrolyte......Vapor......Control Bubbler......Exhaust Only......Bubbled Exhaust
......Alkalinity....2000+ppm......10ppm...........10ppm...............15ppm.....​...........20ppm
......pH..................10.............7.6................7.5.................​..7.7....................6.2
With all this in mind regular water is approx. 7.3pH and 20ppm alkaline. I tested our rain water and pH was 6.8 which is our “acid rain”. Might want to move to a dryer and check valve instead of a bubbler??? Draw your own conclusion. Refer back to the chart if needed. No scientist obviously hence the pool tester. I dig holes in the earth for a living. So before your comments I’ll be heading back to my hole shortly. Enjoy!!!!

Based on those figures I wouldn't worry about alkalinity in the engine. You've also got to take into account the dilution of the gas in the airflow into the engine, which will reduce the alkalinity to increasingly negligible levels.

Does anyone know the ph of gasoline in the engine? That might be significant also. My guess is that it is probably alkaline, hence the increase in alkalinity from the control bubbler to the exhaust only. It might also be due to other chemical reactions in the exhaust system.

I'll try to google the ph of gasoline to get a clue.
07-31-2008 02:59 PM
stevekos7 Offline

stevekos7 Wrote:Based on those figures I wouldn't worry about alkalinity in the engine. You've also got to take into account the dilution of the gas in the airflow into the engine, which will reduce the alkalinity to increasingly negligible levels.

Does anyone know the ph of gasoline in the engine? That might be significant also. My guess is that it is probably alkaline, hence the increase in alkalinity from the control bubbler to the exhaust only. It might also be due to other chemical reactions in the exhaust system.

I'll try to google the ph of gasoline to get a clue.

A quick google search of pH of gasoline didn't produce anything. But one study indicates that the pH of gasoline vapour when mixed with humid air would probably be slightly acid, which I would think would counteract any mild alkalinity in the HHO vapour.

Just use a bubbler with a scourer pad and the bubbles will be broken up more and will be 'cleaned' better, so then there will be no issue.
07-31-2008 03:05 PM
dogchow Offline

The pH of the gas can be measured with the dip sticks. Since it's not totally clear it may not work with the reagents. Also the exhaust measurements were with gas and hho. All exhaust measurements are the true by-product. Don't exactly know what happens in the combustion chamber?? chemically that is. As for me I'm not worried at all. Just throwing some numbers out.
08-01-2008 12:19 AM