Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
To Bubble or not to Bubble
Dino Offline

Big Grin To Bubble or not to Bubble
To Bubble or not to Bubble? I know the reasons I should bubble but I was just wondering why not a check valve. Does anybody that use them think they restrict the flow? I would really like not to install a bubblier I have the perfect spot for my HHO generator but the bubblier would be a pain.
06-18-2008 07:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: To Bubble or not to Bubble
Many of us use both.

A bubbler is used as a layer of protection to keep electrolyte out of the engine/flash back arrester and use a check valve to keep the bubbler from being sucked back into the cell.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-18-2008 07:26 PM
Dino Offline

You don't think a check valve is enough of a flash back arrester?
06-18-2008 07:31 PM
aquaman Offline

Dino Wrote:You don't think a check valve is enough of a flash back arrester?
I seen a video of a spark arrestor test, where the guy lit the end of the hose, coming off the bubbler, with flash arrestor after bubbler, and the thing ignited, the flash arrestor failed, the bubbler failed, and the cell blew up! You can not be too safe! Besides flash arrestors and check valves, a great safety measure is to NOT clamp any of your hoses, and leave the fill cap loose. These things will blow in the event of a flashback, leaving the cell intact
06-19-2008 07:12 PM
Dino Offline

Sounds like sound advice, thanks bro. You don't by chance have a link to that video do you? It sounds pretty cool.

aquaman Wrote:
I seen a video of a spark arrestor test, where the guy lit the end of the hose, coming off the bubbler, with flash arrestor after bubbler, and the thing ignited, the flash arrestor failed, the bubbler failed, and the cell blew up! You can not be too safe! Besides flash arrestors and check valves, a great safety measure is to NOT clamp any of your hoses, and leave the fill cap loose. These things will blow in the event of a flashback, leaving the cell intact
06-19-2008 08:04 PM
Dino Offline

I found a video of a small flash back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaN6KjDVb...re=related
06-19-2008 08:28 PM
aquaman Offline

Dino Wrote:Sounds like sound advice, thanks bro. You don't by chance have a link to that video do you? It sounds pretty cool.

aquaman Wrote:
Unfortunately, no. I've watched hundreds of videos, didn't bookmark it. Just search flash back arrestors on youtube, it'll be in there somewhere. It may have been one of John Aarons videos, he calls himself hydrogentap.
06-22-2008 11:20 AM
jksav7 Offline

Zerofossilfuel on youtube did one to see if his flashback thingy worked. I've seen at least one more on youtube, as well.

Dino Wrote:Sounds like sound advice, thanks bro. You don't by chance have a link to that video do you? It sounds pretty cool.
06-22-2008 01:18 PM
jksav7 Offline

A check valve will not prevent a flashback. A bubbler is essential to protect your engine from any potential caustic fumes entering it.

Dino Wrote:To Bubble or not to Bubble? I know the reasons I should bubble but I was just wondering why not a check valve. Does anybody that use them think they restrict the flow? I would really like not to install a bubblier I have the perfect spot for my HHO generator but the bubblier would be a pain.
06-22-2008 01:19 PM