Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
To use PVC or NOT???? Please post ur experiences
owen1969 Offline

To use PVC or NOT???? Please post ur experiences
Well the subject says it all. Please post weather you agree in using PVC or not and why, I bought pvc to construct my cells for my 7.3 diesel and see not many like it , My car cell is going to be a nice GE water filter unit, But it's alot more money than pvc but It opens by a screwed lid vs sealed pvc , I guess I can use screwed PVC top but then other dont like the sealent available for pvc , Please post weather you like PVC or not , Thanks and happy testing

Down with Big Oil
Down with the Illuminatti
06-15-2008 09:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: To use PVC or NOT???? Please post ur experiences
I don't use PVC (ABS), but I know many people who do. As far as I know it works just fine. I have read on another forum that using NaOH will make PVC brittle, but considering Eletrik has switched over to PVC in his Smack boosters I wonder how bad the PVC can really be (when used with NaOH).
06-16-2008 03:23 AM
owen1969 Offline

I was thinking that therer is an awefull lot of pvc pipe systems out there, so I own it now , I guess I could use it for a while during testing phase anyhow , You see those reallyu expensive units on the net that charge about $1040 for there bottom model? Theyt have a aluminum casing , I think after testing if I have good results I will weld one up from Alum, In this 6 cell unit I will have one casing and 6 diffrent compartments such as the Gorilla developement group ( http://www.gethydropower.com/products_chimp.html ) But of course mine case will be aluminum, Akum because fins can be tacked on for heat displacement if needed, I kinda like there design of this case, all compartments are seperate and gas flows up on all cells and exits 1 common area, This is what I will make( if the testing works:o) ) If anyone else has any idea's for material than please respond, Or if you had bad experience with ang material please post, Thanks

jksav7 Wrote:I don't use PVC (ABS), but I know many people who do. As far as I know it works just fine. I have read on another forum that using NaOH will make PVC brittle, but considering Eletrik has switched over to PVC in his Smack boosters I wonder how bad the PVC can really be (when used with NaOH).
06-16-2008 04:17 PM
T-Bone Offline

I have built a smack type booster using pvc for a container it works fine but I constantly have to tighten the lid even after a couple of hours of driving I pour water around the lid to check for leaks always see bubbles unless i have just tightened it. also 4 inch pvc fittings are about $3-5 each You will need at least one cap(bottom) one union top female and screw in lid. wal mart has a nice tupperware type container for about $3 it has a rubber seal around the lid and four snap latches. a friend of mine built a smack booster same time as me and used this unit it has worked well for a few weeks. oh yeah its kinda clear too so no need for a sight gauge.Big Grin Its a little bit light duty so take a little extra time to mount it securely and it makes a really nice installation. PS im already lookin to upgrade to this container.Cool
06-16-2008 07:15 PM
colchiro Offline

owen1969 Wrote:...My car cell is going to be a nice GE water filter unit, But it's alot more money than pvc but It opens by a screwed lid vs sealed pvc...
Works for me...

[Image: IMG_0735.jpg?imgmax=512]

... pretty tall (over a foot), but hold a lot of juice.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-16-2008 07:39 PM
aquaman Offline

colchiro Wrote:
owen1969 Wrote:...My car cell is going to be a nice GE water filter unit, But it's alot more money than pvc but It opens by a screwed lid vs sealed pvc...
Works for me...

[Image: IMG_0735.jpg?imgmax=512]

... pretty tall (over a foot), but hold a lot of juice.

colchiro, this is the container waterpoweredcar sells, is this where you got it? I'd like to know where it comes from. It's a decent container, but my 9 cell unit barely fits in it. They sold me an 11 cell unit with it, and it doesn't fit!
06-16-2008 09:11 PM
colchiro Offline

aquaman Wrote:colchiro, this is the container waterpoweredcar sells, is this where you got it? I'd like to know where it comes from. It's a decent container, but my 9 cell unit barely fits in it. They sold me an 11 cell unit with it, and it doesn't fit!

I ordered it from hyrogengarage, which also sells an 11 cell unit. I think I have 9 switch plates and they barely fit. I'd prefer 11 ss plates.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-17-2008 04:23 AM
HHOe Offline

owen1969 Wrote:Well the subject says it all. Please post weather you agree in using PVC or not and why, I bought pvc to construct my cells for my 7.3 diesel and see not many like it , My car cell is going to be a nice GE water filter unit, But it's alot more money than pvc but It opens by a screwed lid vs sealed pvc , I guess I can use screwed PVC top but then other dont like the sealent available for pvc , Please post weather you like PVC or not , Thanks and happy testing

Down with Big Oil
Down with the Illuminatti

I use 2" PVC. Instead of ss plates, i use the 2" ss pipe and ss bolt and washer. this is my second set of generators due to mine melting. I was running way to many amps through it for too long of time (30 + amps). now im running about 10 amps, and they're holding just fine. I used heavy duty glue for the caps and epoxy resin for any holes i made. And for the holes, i drilled them smaller and used a lighter to soften up the hole and put my hardware through while hot. This actually proved to be pretty useful. and for the top, i used a clean-out plug and pipethread tape. last time i didn't and it was hard to get a good torque on the cap. hope this helps

2001 Chevy S-10 2.2 5 speed
22-23 before
27-33 after
06-17-2008 04:57 AM
cyborgmexican Offline

Does anyone know a good cheap website or actual store to buy the water filters from? And what exactly is the name of these because if you type in "water filter" you get a ton of different types of filters.
06-17-2008 05:08 AM
owen1969 Offline

CYBOR, I am Canadian(much cheaper in USa) everything is, But anyhow I bought mine at home depot, It's great, cost 25.00 here in Canada , not sure but it's prob alot less in the USA

cyborgmexican Wrote:Does anyone know a good cheap website or actual store to buy the water filters from? And what exactly is the name of these because if you type in "water filter" you get a ton of different types of filters.
06-17-2008 02:13 PM