Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Toyota 22RE Problems
DBiker Offline

Shy Toyota 22RE Problems
Has anybody out there installed Hydrogen on a Toyota 22RE engine?
I am trying it on a 1986 pickup/motorhome without any success. I have tried an EFIE and also have spaced back the O2 Sensor. There is a butterfly under the computer on top of the air cleaner which I think when the air flow opens it, it tells the computer to feed more gas. This might be my problem. Is there a way around this? I am not getting any increase in gas mileage, maybe even less. I am putting out 1-2 LPM of hydrogen.
Also does anyone know of any normally open valves that 12v would close during operation to prevent the geneerator from sucking water out of the bubbler when cooling down. I have used a check valve but it don't work.
Thank you for any information you might have.
DBiker
03-01-2009 08:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

RE: Toyota 22RE Problems
(03-01-2009 08:12 AM)DBiker Wrote:  Has anybody out there installed Hydrogen on a Toyota 22RE engine?
I am trying it on a 1986 pickup/motorhome without any success. I have tried an EFIE and also have spaced back the O2 Sensor. There is a butterfly under the computer on top of the air cleaner which I think when the air flow opens it, it tells the computer to feed more gas. This might be my problem. Is there a way around this? I am not getting any increase in gas mileage, maybe even less. I am putting out 1-2 LPM of hydrogen.
Also does anyone know of any normally open valves that 12v would close during operation to prevent the geneerator from sucking water out of the bubbler when cooling down. I have used a check valve but it don't work.
DBiker
'86 should be easy; no OBDII. Need more info: displacement, are you just using H2, or HHO, How are you measuring your output, are you sure you've got an O2 sensor or maybe you have an AFR sensor, what's this computer on top of the air filter? Can you send some pics?
03-01-2009 10:04 PM
hydrotinkerer Offline

The "butterfly" over the air cleaner is the airflow meter it tells the ecm what the engine load is and turns the fuel pump on. What voltage did you have the Efie set at?
03-02-2009 05:47 AM
colchiro Offline

California was the first to introduce the wideband o2's, then the rest of the states later. From what I've read, you won't find Toyotas prior to '97 with an AFR, but there should be a lot of the starting in '99.

Your '86 should be narrow band, which uses the original efie.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-02-2009 01:50 PM
DBiker Offline

(03-02-2009 05:47 AM)hydrotinkerer Wrote:  The "butterfly" over the air cleaner is the airflow meter it tells the ecm what the engine load is and turns the fuel pump on. What voltage did you have the Efie set at?

Does this air flow meter determine how much fuel is injected? If so is there any way to fool it when you are injecting HHO? Possibly a bypass hose or drilling holes in the butterfly? I had my EFIE set at 2.5v. It didn't seem to be doing any good so I disconnected it and built a setback,
1 1/4 inches thick, for the O2 sensor. I still don't see any gain in MPG with 1 1/2 LPM HHO being consumed. So I'm wondering if this Air Flow Meter is the kicker? Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town.
Thanks
DBiker
(03-01-2009 10:04 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  
(03-01-2009 08:12 AM)DBiker Wrote:  Has anybody out there installed Hydrogen on a Toyota 22RE engine?
DBiker
'86 should be easy; no OBDII. Need more info: displacement, are you just using H2, or HHO, How are you measuring your output, are you sure you've got an O2 sensor or maybe you have an AFR sensor, what's this computer on top of the air filter? Can you send some pics?

Engine displacement is 2367cc. It does have an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold which I have spaced back 1 1/4 inches. I'm using HHO gas and measuring it in a tube/bottle calibrated for 1/2 litre. The computer on top of the air cleaner is evedently a Air Flow Meter which might be my problem if it is measuring the air flow and telling the computer how much fuel to inject. If anyone know of a way to fool the computer on this I would appreciate knowing. Maybe a bypass hose or drilling holes in the butterfly? If this is the problem, it might now matter how much HHO I generate. Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town.
Thanks
DBiker
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2009 02:56 PM by DBiker.)
03-07-2009 02:42 PM
firewheel56 Offline

(03-07-2009 02:42 PM)DBiker Wrote:  
(03-02-2009 05:47 AM)hydrotinkerer Wrote:  The "butterfly" over the air cleaner is the airflow meter it tells the ecm what the engine load is and turns the fuel pump on. What voltage did you have the Efie set at?

Does this air flow meter determine how much fuel is injected? If so is there any way to fool it when you are injecting HHO? Possibly a bypass hose or drilling holes in the butterfly? I had my EFIE set at 2.5v. It didn't seem to be doing any good so I disconnected it and built a setback,
1 1/4 inches thick, for the O2 sensor. I still don't see any gain in MPG with 1 1/2 LPM HHO being consumed. So I'm wondering if this Air Flow Meter is the kicker? Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town.
Thanks
DBiker
(03-01-2009 10:04 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  
DBiker

Engine displacement is 2367cc. It does have an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold which I have spaced back 1 1/4 inches. I'm using HHO gas and measuring it in a tube/bottle calibrated for 1/2 litre. The computer on top of the air cleaner is evedently a Air Flow Meter which might be my problem if it is measuring the air flow and telling the computer how much fuel to inject. If anyone know of a way to fool the computer on this I would appreciate knowing. Maybe a bypass hose or drilling holes in the butterfly? If this is the problem, it might now matter how much HHO I generate. Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town.
Thanks
DBiker

hi. for the 22RE: you might try adding hho after the air flow meter .dont drill holes in plate; i think the thing to do is get the codes to see what they say .with what you have hooked up. it is best to use a EFIE so you can turn off if needed.because o2 spaced you may run lean under load . and be out of power range this useing more fuel. try doing test on flat run (NO WIND)to see what you get. than adjust slow over time ; i have had 3 toyota motorhomes. one i put a 5speedtrain.it helped but only on flat ground (NO WIND) hills and wind kills the power. increase. check to see if you have any hard codes . if so they must be cleared first. to see a increase you need to stay in power range.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2009 10:00 AM by firewheel56.)
05-25-2009 09:36 AM