Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Toyota O2 sensor info
tweeter Offline

Toyota O2 sensor info
Yesterday, I found some interesting information on the '89 Camry O2 sensor. After reading many of the posts about many of the Toyota sensors being AFR's, I was concerned that I was getting in over my head, especially if I cut the wrong sensor wire or otherwise screwed up the EFIE installation.

I asked my mechanic if he could consult his Chilton or Haynes for this car and tell me if it was an O2 sensor or an AFR, and how many wires it had. He has his shop manuals on CD and he fired up his computer. Imagine my surprise when he said that the sensor was labeled "O2 sensor" on the schematic, and the schematic only showed one wire on this model! He gave me a printout, and the schematic does show only one wire from an "O2 sensor", not an AFR.

On the way home, I stopped by Autozone and asked about the cost of replacing the sensor. When they looked it up on the computer, the screen showed a part number and a description of "O2 sensor, one wire". They had 2 or 3 different vendors, and all of the parts descriptions showed a "one wire" description!

I've read all of the links posted by Colchiro regarding the Toyota sensors and never found any indication that some of the early models may be the one-wire version. If you have any doubt about which sensor your vehicle has, call a parts store or a dealer and ask how much a replacement sensor would be, and while you're at it, ask them how many wires it has, and what color wire does what function. The dealers for sure, and most parts stores, will have the wiring diagram on their computer system so this might be a free way to discover some sensor information or confirm what you already may think about your setup.

Because of the limited space under the hood of the Camry, I've decided to order the MagDrive 11a brick system. It is a little more expensive, but the smaller size was the determining factor for me, plus it will fit behind the grill which should assist in cooling the unit. I ordered the MagDrive a couple of days ago, but they are back-ordered at least a couple of weeks.

Last night I ordered the single EFIE Deluxe from Mike, so when everything comes in, I'll take before & after pics of the installation and will be sure to post my test results.

One last item...I noticed that jksav7 mentioned in one of his posts or replies that he had installed a single EFIE on a '94 Toyota 4-cyl pickup. I have the same truck and was wondering what kind of O2 sensor this truck has, and which wire was tapped for the EFIE. That will be the next vehicle I do.

I apologize for the long length of this post, but I wanted to pass along the info on the one-wire O2 sensor for the Camry.

Regards,
Dick
-----------------------
1989 Toyota Camry, 4-cyl, (3S-FE)
MagDrive 11a with Single EFIE Deluxe
Largo, Florida
07-02-2008 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: Toyota O2 sensor info
The O2 sensor in my 22re is a 4-wire, narrow band one. I think it is the brown wire that is the signal wire, but I'm not totally sure.

A word of advice: cancel your order from Magdrive. Although I haven't ever used his products, I've read what Bob Boyce thinks of them. They are well-built junk. According to Bob, "Even if you made an outhouse out of gold, it would still be an outhouse". They're too much money to take the chance.

Also, you can look at a youtube video entitled "magdrive exposed". You'll see what his work is really made of.
07-02-2008 11:41 PM
nismotekk Offline

RE: Toyota O2 sensor info
1 wire systems are input to the ECU only, they are not heated. It should be very easy to modify that o2. Alot of early OBD0 or OBD1 vehicles had 1 wire o2 sensors. Most car companys did not start to use A/F ratio sensors until a few years ago. I dont believe you will ever find a OBD1 vehicle with a AFR. I have also heard bad things about magdrive, I actually called him to correct some wrong info he had posted about o2 sensors. He tried to argue with me, but I made him understand.-Chris
07-03-2008 03:56 AM
tweeter Offline

RE: MagDrive in the Toyota
Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

When I was doing my initial research on which generator to install, I saw the "MagDrive Exposed" video. I noticed that the unit in the video is completely different from the unit I ordered. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, the major reason I went with the MagDrive is the size of the unit. The size of their new unit is 5 5/8" x 5 5/8" x 2". I've attached a picture of the MagDrive unit I ordered and we can see this is a completely different unit than the one that was reviewed on YouTube.

When I was looking at the other units, I took their measurements and made a temporary template out of a roll of paper towels. For example, the Hydro Super II is 12" x 3.5". A roll of paper towels is 11" high. I removed some sheets until the diameter of the remaining roll was 3.5", then put a rubber band around it and took it to the car. If I couldn't find a way to fit in the paper towel roll with at least an inch to spare in height, the actual unit wouldn't fit in the car. The 3.5" diameter made it too big to fit behind the grill either. I did the same drill with all of the units I was considering, and none of them would fit under the hood where the generator would remain vertical, yet be accessible for maintenance.

Last weekend, I met with the Florida distributor for MagDrive, a guy named Jim. He had a new unit with him and we were able to dry-fit the unit to see if it would go in the Camry. The 2" thickness will allow the unit to fit behind the grill, but the 5x5 size wouldn't severely impede the incoming airflow to the radiator. The reservoir for the unit is approximately 4x6 or maybe 5x7, with a height of approximately 5 to 6". The reservoir won't fit behind the grille, but will fit in the engine compartment next to the battery. What closed the deal for me is that Jim offered to help me with the installation.

Since the unit has a money-back warranty and is the only unit I found that would fit in my car, I decided to take the plunge. What I will do is follow through with the order and carefully document the results with pictures and data. If the new unit turns out to be crap, I'll fall on my sword and maybe I can help someone else in the forum from making the same mistake. If the new unit turns out OK, then at least we'll have some data on their new unit and won't be comparing it to the older, taller unit that got reamed on YouTube. With regular commutes from St. Pete down to Miami and back, it won't take long to get some good data on the highway performance of this unit. I plan on installing the generator without the EFIE and driving for a couple of tanks before I install the EFIE and fine tune for the best possible mileage. That should give us some good data on the efficiency of the unit by itself before I pair it up with the EFIE.

When I go for the install in the '94 Toyota pickup, I may install a homemade Smack since there is more room under the hood in the truck, plus it will be a lot cheaper.

Again, thanks for all of the help and quick replies. The willingness to help each other here is what makes it such a great place. I feel like I owe some dues since I have received so much information but haven't yet contributed much. Hopefully, giving a good review on the new MagDrive unit will be a small payback. I'll keep everyone posted on the project.

Regards,
Dick
-----------------------
Largo, Florida
07-03-2008 09:22 PM
jksav7 Offline

RE: MagDrive in the Toyota
Ok, sounds good. Don't be shy to return the thing if it doesn't perform close to specs. According to Bob, the magdrive units are very inefficient performers. It would be nice to have a hardcore review on it, so we'll look forward to reading about your observations. By the way, how much does Jim say it'll output, and at how many amps?
07-03-2008 10:28 PM
tweeter Offline

RE: Magrive output
I don't remember the exact numbers or if he quoted any of his own findings to me. I'll email him and see if he can provide some output numbers - both the advertised and what he has found on his own. Before I install it, I'll do a bench test by the 'displacing water in a bottle' method.

Regards,
Dick
-----------------------
Largo, Florida
07-04-2008 03:55 AM