Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Toyota results
sax88player Offline

Toyota results
Vehicle: 1996 Toyota Tercel
Stock Milage for freeway: 38-40
Milage after HHO: 42-45

Hey all. So far I have seen some results, but for the most part they are disappointing. I was reading a thread earlier about too much gas causing less milage potential in some cases, and I was wondering if my little 1.5 liter motor is getting too much gas to see any crazy 50-60 mpg results. I'm using an EFIE, and I've done 5-10 drive tests testing different off sets and so far 45 is the max I can get.

Do you think I will need a MAF Sensor adjuster? Or could it just be too much or too little gas?

Help!

Thanks!
11-02-2008 06:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Toyota results
I know late model Toyota's are stubborn. I thought the narrow band models like yours would be more forgiving tho.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-02-2008 06:32 PM
sax88player Offline

colchiro Wrote:I know late model Toyota's are stubborn. I thought the narrow band models like yours would be more forgiving tho.

Do you know where people have been putting the offset at on a 1.5 liter motor? I know that since it is so small, a little bit of HHO will probably go a long ways...
11-03-2008 01:14 PM
Gary Offline

I have the same engine, no EFIE, o2 sensor unplugged and 1L/min. HHO into it. I get +6mpg, giving me 36 max. You're doing great. I might end up with an EFIE yet.
11-03-2008 04:48 PM
sax88player Offline

I was just thinking that since I already get like 40 mpg on the free way without HHO and since I have such a small motor I would be able to see in the 50's and 60's... I'm first going to try a little less hho then again with more hho and see if I see any differences. Any other suggestions?
11-03-2008 09:21 PM
Gary Offline

No. I've thought it is odd that these little Toy engines have so drastically differing stock mileages. Ours only gets 27 highway 24 city stock. It's been tuned and new plugs, air filter and all, but I see some of you guys getting 40? Crap!
Maybe I need to play around with the timing and see what happens.
11-04-2008 02:49 PM
sax88player Offline

Well, my car is all stock. Part of the reason I might get the milage is I am a granny driver... really easy off the line and never "on the gas"... Also being a 5 spd manual transmission helps. Buy anyways... What kind of a setup are you using for HHO?
11-04-2008 03:05 PM
Gary Offline

I'm hypermiling myself. But the base tests were done that way too, so the results are solid.
I have a little guy in the trunk with a tube up his butt and he farts a lot.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2008 06:00 PM by Gary.)
11-04-2008 05:46 PM
sax88player Offline

Last night I added more sodium hydroxide to my generator so that it was a higher concentration, and I went on my test loop of exactly 50 miles on the freeway doing ~65 mph and I used 1.1 gallons of gas giving me 45.4 mpg! For this test I did NOT use my EFIE. I wanted to get an idea of what kind of milage my car could do without the help from the EFIE on the free way where you are keeping a consistent speed.

The only problem is that at that high of an electrolyte concentration(roughly 1/2 tablespoon total), after an hour of running it the cell was pretty hot. which means it would do me no good in a long running situation.

So I guess my next test is to lower the concentration a bit and go again without and EFIE and see where I stand...

Also, I had a great idea, and I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with it. Why don't we hook a volt-meter to the oxygen sensor its-self and see about how much it runs normally and then turn on the hho and see how much it changes... then we know where to put the offset!
11-05-2008 09:44 AM
Gary Offline

From what I've read it's not a measurable quantity: it jumps all over the place. Somehow the ECU can read it though, by comparative values, then extrapolating something to work with from that to send to the injectors.[/align]
11-05-2008 05:55 PM