Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Try adding Diesel
Fillerup Offline

Smile Try adding Diesel
Adding about 10% Diesel will get us better MPG. I say about 10% because you will need to play with it a bit to get the best MPG for your vehicle. For what ever reason this process varies from vehicle to vehicle. This increases the MPG because diesel typically releases about 38.6 MJ/l (138,700 BTU/US gal), whereas gasoline releases 34.9 MJ/l (125,000 BTU/US gal), 10% less (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_fuel) in other words diesel burns hotter than gas. Adding the 10% will not effect or damage your motor either like some potions and elixirs being sold will. I went from an average of 14 MPG to 18 MPG just by adding the diesel for the past 30K with no problem
01-09-2010 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rpatzer Offline

RE: Try adding Diesel
This is a good article re: the mix. His answer is don't do it.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/mixin...diesel.htm
01-10-2010 08:37 AM
Gary Offline

That article was about adding GAS to a DIESEL rig, not the other way around. Good article though.
01-10-2010 09:09 PM
rpatzer Offline

(01-10-2010 09:09 PM)Gary Wrote:  That article was about adding GAS to a DIESEL rig, not the other way around. Good article though.

True- but what I got was since diesel combusts by compression rather than ignition, it doesn't work since gas compression isn't enough to ignite diesel. Also he mentioned the octane and cetane ratings and their opposite values.
01-10-2010 10:20 PM
Gary Offline

Hmmm...may be several things at play here, using a bit of diesel in gas. For one, it's more lubricant. That may lower ring and piston slap friction. Adding cetane rating to gas seems to be possibly a boon, but why didn't the gas companies do it? I dunno.
I remember a nut who used to fill half diesel and half gas now and then to clean out his engine. We didn't have mosquitos for miles when he drove that thing around.
01-11-2010 07:51 AM
rpatzer Offline

(01-11-2010 07:51 AM)Gary Wrote:  Hmmm...may be several things at play here, using a bit of diesel in gas. For one, it's more lubricant. That may lower ring and piston slap friction. Adding cetane rating to gas seems to be possibly a boon, but why didn't the gas companies do it? I dunno.
I remember a nut who used to fill half diesel and half gas now and then to clean out his engine. We didn't have mosquitos for miles when he drove that thing around.

Gary- here is more on the mix-
"Trying to use diesel fuel in a gasoline engine also has unpleasant consequences, but generally not as dire in terms of damage to the fuel system. Depending on the proportion of diesel fuel relative to gas in the tank, a gasoline engine will either run poorly or stop altogether, necessitating another $500 trip to the repair shop for draining and flushing. A couple of old grease monkeys at the shop I used to work at claimed that their "super high-compression" gasoline engines of the late 1960s could easily switch between gasoline and diesel fuel with no problems, but I tend to think they spent too much time inhaling fumes from the carburetor cleaning tank.

Some old-timers and shade-tree mechanics will add small amounts of diesel fuel to the gasoline in their cars in the belief that it will lubricate the valves, in the same way that people will add such items as "Marvel Mystery Oil" and automatic transmission fluid to their gas tank. I can find no reputable studies that show any merit to adding diesel fuel to gasoline. While small amounts of these items aren't likely to kill the engine or cause permanent damage, their use is not recommended. Some of these same old-timers advocate adding small amounts of gasoline to diesel engines to "burn out" carbon deposits and "clean the injectors and valves." This is not recommended by any diesel engine manufacturer I know of, and due to gasoline's resistance to burning from compression ignition, it's possible it might make matters worse by lowering combustion temperatures. In any event, I found no support in any of my combustion and automobile resources for the idea that gasoline and its additives would "clean" diesel injectors or valves better than the additives already in the diesel fuel.

In short, don't put the wrong fuel in your vehicle. If a significant amount of the wrong fuel does wind up in your tank, have the vehicle towed to a repair shop lest you ruin the fuel pump or get stranded by the roadside. If you want to use inexpensive diesel fuel, the solution is simple. Buy a diesel car."
01-11-2010 12:25 PM
abe Offline

If you want something to clean your engine from carbon despots,and will improve your gas millage.For cars with high millage,try running a can of Sea Foam through it.It kind of cool,you can watch the carbon burn(smokes for a little while).I was surprised it improved my millage about 3 mpg. You can pick-up a can at any Auto Parts store or even Wal Mart for about $10.00. You can check it out on Youtube.
P.S. I'm not selling this ether, only passing along Info.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2010 03:51 PM by abe.)
01-11-2010 03:47 PM
bsmart Offline

(01-09-2010 01:57 PM)Fillerup Wrote:  Adding about 10% Diesel will get us better MPG. I say about 10% because you will need to play with it a bit to get the best MPG for your vehicle. For what ever reason this process varies from vehicle to vehicle. This increases the MPG because diesel typically releases about 38.6 MJ/l (138,700 BTU/US gal), whereas gasoline releases 34.9 MJ/l (125,000 BTU/US gal), 10% less (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_fuel) in other words diesel burns hotter than gas. Adding the 10% will not effect or damage your motor either like some potions and elixirs being sold will. I went from an average of 14 MPG to 18 MPG just by adding the diesel for the past 30K with no problem

What type and year model vehicle did you add this diesel to? How did you arrive at the right mixture?
01-12-2010 10:29 AM
Gary Offline

Patzer: there's a reason I don't use Marvel Mystery Oil in an engine. I did some research on it some time back, and I recall that it came out back in the days of plain oil without additives. It would do what additives do now. It IS, on the other hand one of the light oils that I found made my roller skates (which are sensitive to oil resistance) go faster. That also means that it's a VERY light oil. It came out in testing equal to tranny fluid, which I've also used.
For skates that is, not for motors.
01-12-2010 02:28 PM
Dino Offline

I remember back in the day when I was 17 me and my buddy ran his 442 down to fumes and knew we wouldn't make it home without some gas and neither of us could scratch two quarters together. So we decided to allegedly liberate some gas from a parked truck in a parking lot, both of us were teenage morons and knew nothing about that most trucks ran on diesel so we borrowed five gallons and put into his beautiful 442 convertible and proceeded to buck, backfire and lurch all the way home. I never laughed harder I had tears coming out of my eyes, my buddy didn't get the joke thoughSmile. The car ended up being fine and it wasn't damaged in anyway.
02-17-2010 11:19 AM