Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tuning that deluxe EFIE thing.
Zipstor Offline

Tuning that deluxe EFIE thing.
Okay,

I finally hooked up that Mike's EFIE. Read the manual and set 200mV on both sides at startup then I've let the engine heat up and it reads 193. Only one thing worries me is that before I start tuning the device, the reading was 230mV on 1 and 330mV on 2. Is that normal?

Is 200mV a good start. Or shall I try to get lower untill the "check engine" light comes on.

Enjoy the new year..

>> http://brownsgas.com
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2009 04:45 AM by Zipstor.)
01-09-2009 04:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Tuning that deluxe EFIE thing.
(01-09-2009 04:29 AM)Zipstor Wrote:  Okay,

I finally hooked up that Mike's EFIE. Read the manual and set 200mV on both sides at startup then I've let the engine heat up and it reads 193. Only one thing worries me is that before I start tuning the device, the reading was 230mV on 1 and 330mV on 2. Is that normal?

Is 200mV a good start. Or shall I try to get lower untill the "check engine" light comes on.

Enjoy the new year..

Hi Zipstor,

I think you have set the 2 different sides at different points during it's ramp up to full voltage. Basically, it takes several minutes before the EFIE comes up to it's full voltage, and even then, if it/they are cold, it'll come up more as it warms up. The cold factor won't apply if you're in southern California (for instance), but certainly will if you're in New England.

The thing to do is to check the voltage after they are fully warmed up, and set the voltage you want then.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
01-09-2009 08:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Hi Zip.

Yes, 200 mv might be a better starting point.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-09-2009 03:45 PM
Zipstor Offline

Mike,

I do have about 193mV on BOTH SIDES evenly when engine is hot (10mn idling) I made sure of that.. However Is it normal that my probe points shows a different voltage before I turn the trims? Is it possible that the factory settings on the EFIE box would be differing from each side? Shall I retest my points with the EFIE off? (Admit I forgot to do that) Maybe my sensors were giving us an uneven reading because one of them is worned out?

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2009 05:05 PM by Zipstor.)
01-09-2009 05:00 PM
colchiro Offline

There are no pre-set factory settings. You have to turn the 20+ turn pots to what you want when warmed up (10+ minutes) since they slowly increase to improve cold starts when the efie is first turned on. When the efie is off, the probes are connected together so you'll get zero volts. Wink

O2's that are past their prime (usually after 60-70k miles), often have a slow response. (The voltage varies slower and often not as far.)

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-09-2009 08:44 PM
Zipstor Offline

I went for a drive today with my wife in the mountains. It -seems- that my consumption has been lower that time than the others on the same trajectory. Meanwhile, when I went foot down on the gas pedal to overtake up hill (about 5000 RPM), the engine went coughing, like miss firing. Can it be because of the EFIE setting that might be on too low voltage?

Did I get this right: The lower the volts, the bigger the savings, is it?

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2009 01:36 AM by Zipstor.)
01-10-2009 01:34 AM
colchiro Offline

If you have 0 VDC offset, that's like turning your efie off. I think the minimum with the efie turned on is about 50 mv and as you turn it up your engine gets leaner, increasing mileage (to a point).

You've turned it too high if one of the following happens:
no gain in mileage
CEL (check engine light) or
loss of power or other driveability issue (which is sounds like you're experiencing)

I'd turn it down about 50 mv until you get rid of the coughing.

Rick

01-10-2009 08:23 AM
Zipstor Offline

So, to make short, the more you ad some mVs the more lean the mixture gets is that it?

The readings on the probe terminals from the unit are they just only the power produced by the unit itself? I thought they would be a reading of the power from the ECU + EFIE? Is it not?

01-11-2009 02:04 AM
colchiro Offline

(01-11-2009 02:04 AM)Zipstor Wrote:  So, to make short, the more you ad some mVs the more lean the mixture gets is that it?

Yes, until you get too high, in which case you probably go into open-loop and the mixture would probably be too rich again. Many vehicles will throw a CEL (check engine light) at that point, usually a mixture too lean code.

(01-11-2009 02:04 AM)Zipstor Wrote:  The readings on the probe terminals from the unit are they just only the power produced by the unit itself?

Yes.

(01-11-2009 02:04 AM)Zipstor Wrote:  I thought they would be a reading of the power from the ECU + EFIE? Is it not?

The black jack is connected directly to your o2 sensor, the red jack to your ecu. With your efie turned off, they are connected so that's why it reads zero. With it on, you'd measure the change the efie is adding. To see the o2 sensor + efie signal (what the ecu sees), you'd connect your red probe to the red jack and your black meter probe to ground. Likewise black efie jack to ground will be your o2 sensor output. These two readings vary too much and too fast to be of much diagnostic value with a volt meter.

Rick

01-11-2009 08:11 AM
Zipstor Offline

So that's why there was 2 different readings before I started turning the screws, the 230mV and 330mV were coming from the way the pots were oriented when it came out of the factory so there might be nothing wrong with my sensors...

How come the pots are not both at the same setting when the unit is new???

01-12-2009 03:24 AM