Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Uploading pictures and other files to the forum
mike Offline

Cool Uploading pictures and other files to the forum
Maximum file size is 100K for images.

It has occasionally come up that folks don't know how to upload pictures or other types of file to the forum.

First of all, at the bottom of each thread is a "Quick Reply" box. I use that box a lot because it's, well, quick. Smile But you can't use that box to upload files or pictures. So if you're in quick edit mode, you need to press the "Preview Post" button, which will put you in full edit mode.

Once in full edit mode, at the bottom you'll see a "Browse" button and an "Add Attachment" button. Use "Browse" to find the file you want on your computer, and once it's selected, press the "Add Attachment" button to upload it to the forum. This can be any type of file, not just pictures. At this point the file name will appear at the bottom of your post, and if other users click on that link, they will be able to download your file. The following image shows the buttons that you use to upload your file.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=160]

Finally, for photos that you want to appear in your post full sized, you have an additional step: First preview your post, and find the link to your newly uploaded image file. Right click on it and choose "Copy link location" from the right click menu (I use Firefox, and other browsers may word it a bit differently). But you want to copy the url of the link to your image. Then in your full edit window, paste the link surrounded by image tags. The following is the code used to display the picture in this post:
Code:
[img]http://www.fuel-saver.org/attachment.php?aid=158[/img]
All you are doing is putting image tags around your copied link. Note, that there is a little image button at the top of the full edit box that will automate this process. Now if you preview your post again, you should see the image displayed full size.

A couple of final notes: There's a limit to how many file attachments you can put in a single post, so if you need to post more images or files, then you'll need to split them into consecutive posts. There's also a limit to how much total file and image space each user uses for all of their posts on the forum. The purpose of this is to prevent malicious users from filling my web server's hard disk. But if users on the forum need to increase their quota, just PM me, and I will do this for you.

(10 Jun 2010 Edit) I've taken some links to some image resizing programs that were posted by forum members here for your convenience:

learntcm posted this link: http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/ I liked this one enough to pay them for registration, but it is indeed fully functional in the free version.

skiers4ever posted this link: http://www.irfanview.com/

nightowl posted this link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downl...rtoys.mspx Note that PowerToys is a collection of programs of which the image resizer is only one.

Post any questions you have about this process in this thread. I will use those questions to improve these instructions.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 08:09 AM by mike.)
06-25-2008 09:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owen1969 Offline

RE: Uploading pictures and other files to the forum
Mike , are you and others having to reduce pics at all ? all my pics seem to be to large to post for some reason, I cannot figure what I am doing wrong , They are in jpeg formatt and are all over 500kb's, Any idea's?
06-29-2008 07:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skiers4ever Offline

owen1969 Wrote:Mike , are you and others having to reduce pics at all ? all my pics seem to be to large to post for some reason, I cannot figure what I am doing wrong , They are in jpeg formatt and are all over 500kb's, Any idea's?

Hi owen1969,

Web pics rarely need to be that large. It's very difficult for the human eye to discern between really high resolutions and medium resolutions on the web via computer monitors. I think 200k and under is fine for our purpose here on the forum. I don't know if there is a max size here but, if not, there should be. You can use Irfanview to reduce the size of the photo (and it has tons of other features as well) and it's FREE! Go here to download the program:

http://www.irfanview.com/

I've used it for years and it's a great program...does alot.

Have fun!
John

2007 Honda Ridgeline 3.5L 4WD
Hydro Super 2 installed on 5/21/08
Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
06-29-2008 08:36 PM
owen1969 Offline

Thanks Skier, I will shrink with that program , The pics are that big right out of my camera, have no idea why they are so large, I never had this problem before, The limit here is 500 I will try to shrink down , Thanks again

skiers4ever Wrote:
owen1969 Wrote:Mike , are you and others having to reduce pics at all ? all my pics seem to be to large to post for some reason, I cannot figure what I am doing wrong , They are in jpeg formatt and are all over 500kb's, Any idea's?

Hi owen1969,

Web pics rarely need to be that large. It's very difficult for the human eye to discern between really high resolutions and medium resolutions on the web via computer monitors. I think 200k and under is fine for our purpose here on the forum. I don't know if there is a max size here but, if not, there should be. You can use Irfanview to reduce the size of the photo (and it has tons of other features as well) and it's FREE! Go here to download the program:

http://www.irfanview.com/

I've used it for years and it's a great program...does alot.

Have fun!
John
06-30-2008 07:40 PM
mike Offline

There's a limit to the total amount of your downloads, and probably one for the individual file size. The reason is that whatever you upload becomes part of my site from there on out. So limits need to be in place.

You can usually set your camera's resolution. The max resolutions on even the cheapest cameras these days is way higher than needed, as skiers4ever has pointed out. I would reduce the resolution to no more than 640 pixels wide, and even 480 if it will show enough detail. And then save the photos in jpg format, using medium compression.

Visit Our Documents Page
07-01-2008 09:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NightOwl Offline

Hi Gang,

Tweeter here under a new name. (I accidentally cleaned the cookie for fuel-saver from my computer and despite three attempts to have my old password sent to me, nothing worked. I had to re-register. When I eventually find my old password, I'll go back to the Tweeter username.)

Microsoft has an image resizer tool that is part of the Power Toys for XP. It is simple to use and gives you several options on the exact new size you want.

Here is the link to the Microsoft site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downl...rtoys.mspx

Scroll down the page and find the image resizer on the right side of the screen. All of the other Power Toys are on this page too.

Once you resize a picture, you can keep the same name as the original image, or give it a new name. Either way, when you upload the image to the forum, use the new version of your picture which has been resized.

Vista did away with the image resizer, but if you do a Google search for "image resizer vista" (without the quotes), there are several third party programs out there that are free and get good user reviews.
07-02-2008 08:58 AM
owen1969 Offline

Thank-you sir, I used the other program mentioned (infraview) and it also worked , Will also try this new one, Thanks

NightOwl Wrote:Hi Gang,

Tweeter here under a new name. (I accidentally cleaned the cookie for fuel-saver from my computer and despite three attempts to have my old password sent to me, nothing worked. I had to re-register. When I eventually find my old password, I'll go back to the Tweeter username.)

Microsoft has an image resizer tool that is part of the Power Toys for XP. It is simple to use and gives you several options on the exact new size you want.

Scroll down the page and find the image resizer on the right side of the screen. All of the other Power Toys are on this page too.

Once you resize a picture, you can keep the same name as the original image, or give it a new name. Either way, when you upload the image to the forum, use the new version of your picture which has been resized.

Vista did away with the image resizer, but if you do a Google search for "image resizer vista" (without the quotes), there are several third party programs out there that are free and get good user reviews.
07-06-2008 12:25 PM
bartolo Offline

owen1969 Wrote:Thank-you sir, I used the other program mentioned (infraview) and it also worked , Will also try this new one, Thanks

NightOwl Wrote:Hi Gang,

Download Irfanview. This program is free and will allow you to manage your pictures to whatever your needs may be.
07-24-2008 09:49 AM
colchiro Offline

Another free program with a lot of power is Paint.net. I use it for just about everything except touching up photos, where Picasa is probably easier for the newbie.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-11-2009 02:29 PM
mike Offline

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1284]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit Our Documents Page
10-12-2009 10:33 AM