Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Uses for HHO
Pat Offline

Uses for HHO
I am wondering if you can convert a swimming pool heater to run on brown's gas. What size of generator would you use, what voltage would you use to generate the gas. Obviously a higher voltage would give you more gas generating. Also, how about converting a household water heater to run on HHO?
04-10-2008 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlexR Offline

RE: Uses for HHO
I assume you are talking about a water(or swimming pool) heater that burns a fossil fuel of some sort, fuel oil, gas, etc.

This falls under external combustion and works differently than internal combustion. With internal combustion we just use a small amount of fuel to act like a catalyst to enhance the combustion.

With external combustion some Brown's Gas will act as a catalyst making the combustion more efficient. The good news is with external combustion we can add much more BG to the flame and actually burn the BG along with the fuel to create heat to heat the water. The positive note to this is that now you are using electricity to make fuel for your water heater. Let me explain. You are taking electricity from the wall to power your electrolyzer to create BG. The kicker here is that depending on your price of the fossil fuel you are using to conventionaly power your water heater with fossil fuel, using electricity from the wall is much cheaper. Your fossil fuel may actually be 8 - 10 times more expensive per watt than a watt taken from the power grid. A quality series-cell electrolyzer will be very efficient. The ER-1200 Watertorch is over 95% efficient.

This electrolyzer would be quite a bit bigger than what you would use in your vehicle.

Also please keep in mind that you can only add so much BG to an external combustion flame before you run into problems relating to the water heater burning a fuel it was not designed for.

You cannot run a water heater, cook stove, or any type of boiler solely on BG. The flame will burn though whatever material is being heated. Yes, any!

Alex

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
04-10-2008 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pat Offline

[quote=AlexR]
I assume you are talking about a water(or swimming pool) heater that burns a fossil fuel of some sort, fuel oil, gas, etc.

This falls under external combustion and works differently than internal combustion. With internal combustion we just use a small amount of fuel to act like a catalyst to enhance the combustion.

With external combustion some Brown's Gas will act as a catalyst making the combustion more efficient. The good news is with external combustion we can add much more BG to the flame and actually burn the BG along with the fuel to create heat to heat the water. The positive note to this is that now you are using electricity to make fuel for your water heater. Let me explain. You are taking electricity from the wall to power your electrolyzer to create BG. The kicker here is that depending on your price of the fossil fuel you are using to conventionaly power your water heater with fossil fuel, using electricity from the wall is much cheaper. Your fossil fuel may actually be 8 - 10 times more expensive per watt than a watt taken from the power grid. A quality series-cell electrolyzer will be very efficient. The ER-1200 Watertorch is over 95% efficient.

This electrolyzer would be quite a bit bigger than what you would use in your vehicle.

Also please keep in mind that you can only add so much BG to an external combustion flame before you run into problems relating to the water heater burning a fuel it was not designed for.

You cannot run a water heater, cook stove, or any type of boiler solely on BG. The flame will burn though whatever material is being heated. Yes, any!

Alex
[/quote
04-10-2008 04:55 PM
Pat Offline

I am talking about running the swimming pool heater only on HHO. I can only get propane here, so it is too expensive to heat the pool. I figure if it would work, I would have to move the flame further from the heating coils because of the hotter flame. My question is how big of a unit to use or if it can even generate enough volume. Pat

AlexR Wrote:I assume you are talking about a water(or swimming pool) heater that burns a fossil fuel of some sort, fuel oil, gas, etc.

Alex
04-10-2008 04:59 PM
AlexR Offline

Pat

As I said at the bottom of my post you cannot run a water heater on Brown's Gas as its only source of fuel. The BG will burn through the metal water tank. Keeping the flame further from the metal is inefficient and will waste energy.

Alex

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
04-10-2008 05:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tattoodaddy75 Offline

(04-10-2008 05:07 PM)AlexR Wrote:  Pat

As I said at the bottom of my post you cannot run a water heater on Brown's Gas as its only source of fuel. The BG will burn through the metal water tank. Keeping the flame further from the metal is inefficient and will waste energy.

Alex

slight issue with the burn though idea just like a propane heater if there is know water in the system it would burn though but with water there to transfer heat it should not burn through
01-07-2009 12:30 AM
AlexR Offline

(01-07-2009 12:30 AM)Tattoodaddy75 Wrote:  slight issue with the burn though idea just like a propane heater if there is know water in the system it would burn though but with water there to transfer heat it should not burn through

BG is much different than propane. Who would knowingly fire their boiler without water in it?

Even with water the BG flame will burn through.

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
01-07-2009 02:45 PM