Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
V-8 2 barrel carb question
romulus Offline

V-8 2 barrel carb question
While I am waiting for my duel EFIE I am running an hho system on my V-8 boat engine. It has no electronics Big Grin just a 2 barrel carb and I have adjusted the fuel mixture screw as far lean as I can and still keep the engine running smooth. The timing is set at 8 degrees BTDC. I am trying to get the most efficiency and power by adding the HHO. What would adjusting the timing closer to 0 degrees do for the power or efficiency?
07-03-2008 01:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
azzad Offline

RE: V-8 2 barrel carb question
I expect the screw you are adjusting is the idle mixture only. You would need to change the main jets if you want to lean it out.

Cant answer the timing question, other than try it and see what happens.

Dazza
07-03-2008 02:42 PM
Thumbpicker Offline

I think I'd get the engine back to where it idles well first. The timing may help you if you have problems with spark knock,or pinging. Failing that I'd think it was all up to the amount of the hho you can generate.
If you are connecting the hydrogen in front of the throttle plate in the carb I'd think the throttle plate would still regulate the idle for the most part and when you open it up there would be more vacuum to draw the hydrogen in. If I'm thinking right then it's entirely up to how much hydrogen is going in to help burn the gasoline and where you have to set the throttle versus what will give you the same amount of power as you get when not burning the hydrogen. I'd think that a reduced throttle position should yield the same power. Then again I'm new at this stuff. So more experienced folk may disagree
Good Luck, Thumb
07-10-2008 06:11 PM
EStanley Offline

I think what thumbpicker said is on the money although I'm just a newbie. But the more HHO that is used the more the timing will have to be retarded.

I just read an very informative article about electrolyzers and many things related to it. There is a section in there talking about timing and explains it in good detail (even uses pics, which I like). This may help some. Check it out.

http://pesn.com/2007/09/29/9500450_BobBo...ans/d9.pdf
07-10-2008 09:44 PM
tesla Offline

I don't profess this to be the ultimate tuning aid (especially when running HHO) but an old timer's trick for setting timing is thus:

Engine warmed up, air cleaner in place, all vacuum hoses connected (especially to the vacuum advance on the distributor)

Hook up a vacuum gauge and a tachometer. Loosen the distributor hold down bolt just enough to allow you to move it.

Run the engine up to around 2000-2500
Note the vacuum
Turn the dist. slightly one direction and back while watching the vacuum (the speed will vary somewhat as you do this)
Once you find the highest vacuum WITH the smoothest running, then retard it SLIGHTLY and tighten the distributor

This procedure is a poor man's dyno...as you're somewhat simulating driving conditions. The reason you ultimately retard the timing from optimal is because there's no load on the engine (as there would be if you were actually driving). This usually prevents any pinging you'd have otherwise.

The neat thing about timing an engine this way is that it allows for the best timing for YOUR engine. It will compensate for wear, carbon deposits, loose timing chain, slipped timing ring on harmonic balancer and all the other stacked variable that conspire to make the timing marks way inaccurate.

Bottom line is, on an older non-injected/computer controlled engine this is often the best real world way to set timing.

...same thing we do every night Pinky, plan to take over the world!
07-24-2008 07:58 AM
HANK1948 Offline

romulus Wrote:While I am waiting for my duel EFIE I am running an hho system on my V-8 boat engine. It has no electronics Big Grin just a 2 barrel carb and I have adjusted the fuel mixture screw as far lean as I can and still keep the engine running smooth. The timing is set at 8 degrees BTDC. I am trying to get the most efficiency and power by adding the HHO. What would adjusting the timing closer to 0 degrees do for the power or efficiency?

If you are working on a good ole' carb I would check out Eagle reaserch web site they have good info on carbs

http://www.eagle-research.com/

1983 CC Chevy 1ton running on WVO and HHO
Always trying to stick it to the man!
07-24-2008 08:17 AM