Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Very High EFIE Reading
ghkrahn Offline

Question Very High EFIE Reading
I'm a little puzzled. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram with a 5.9 gas engine and I have a Hydro Super 2 double unit with no other mods except a K&N air filter. The truck has one O2 sensor upstream of the catalytic converter with 4 wires. I installed my EFIE properly and I was getting the normal readings. I started out with about 200 mV and slowly started working my way up to about 450 mV. No MPG gains, no check engine light.

I cranked it up to over 500 and this triggered my O2 sensor error code. I reset the error code and turned down the EFIE to 200 mV. I slowly worked my way up again, but now I get no error code. I am up to about 700 mV and still no check engine light. The EFIE won't go higher than 709 mV.

I thought I might have broken it, but I'm able to turn it down and then up again to 700. I did the tests to see what the computer is reading and it's about 1500 mV, which makes sense because it was around 800 and I added 700.

Has anyone else gotten readings this high without tripping the engine light? Why would it trip after 500 mV the first time and now not at all? Also, I thought that you couldn't go over 1 volt without getting an O2 error code. Mike, do you have any advice or does anyone have a similar story out there?
05-22-2008 08:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Very High EFIE Reading
I'm not sure why the engine light isn't coming on, but I can tell you that a setting above .45 volts is not going to work. In fact, you might as well just unplug your sensor because the ECU won't use it's data anyway. 450 millivolts is a magic number in the ECU. Anything below that value is "low" and anything above that value is "high" to the ECU. If the voltage it receives is never below .45 volts, then it will think that the sensor is dysfunctional and ignore it. It expects to see several transitions per second from low to high. It should throw a light too. You must set your efie below .45 so that the efie's voltage plus the sensor's voltage can be below .45 volts when the sensor is actually reading low.

I wouldn't set it above .4 volts for this reason.

As to your lack of mileage increase, you might want to get your EFIE set properly and drive on it for a tankful or two. See what happens as the ECU settles in to the new setting. Also, check with your supplier of the Hydro Super II. You may not have that set up correctly. I assume you've tested to see if it's putting out gas. Have you measured the amount you're getting? I'd be interested to know what your amp draw is, and the amount of gas you're getting.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-22-2008 10:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghkrahn Offline

Hi Mike,

I figured out my problem. While I was waiting for my Fuse Buddy amperage tester to show up, I just mixed the default 1 teaspoon of baking soda to 1 gallon of rain water. That didn't seem to increase the mileage so I tried the 50/50 vinegar/distilled water mix. After it ran for a while some of the mix went into the generators and the water level in the tank went down. In an effort to get amazing fuel mileage increases I did something foolish. Instead of topping up the tank with water I added vinegar.

Well now it was bubbling so much it looked like it was boiling. I thought this was good until my Fuse Buddy arrived. I tested the amp draw and I'm at 19 to 20 cold amps. More than double the recommended 7-9 amps! So there's my problem. I'll let you know my results after I've burned through a tank of gas with the right mix to get the amperage correct and with my EFIE set correctly.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2008 05:41 PM by ghkrahn.)
05-30-2008 05:39 PM
ghkrahn Offline

ghkrahn Wrote:Hi Mike,

I figured out my problem. While I was waiting for my Fuse Buddy amperage tester to show up, I just mixed the default 1 teaspoon of baking soda to 1 gallon of rain water. That didn't seem to increase the mileage so I tried the 50/50 vinegar/distilled water mix. After it ran for a while some of the mix went into the generators and the water level in the tank went down. In an effort to get amazing fuel mileage increases I did something foolish. Instead of topping up the tank with water I added vinegar.

Well now it was bubbling so much it looked like it was boiling. I thought this was good until my Fuse Buddy arrived. I tested the amp draw and I'm at 19 to 20 cold amps. More than double the recommended 7-9 amps! So there's my problem. I'll let you know my results after I've burned through a tank of gas with the right mix to get the amperage correct and with my EFIE set correctly.

Hi Mike,

Quick question: If I'm driving mainly in town, will the EFIE even help? I drive such short distances that the O2 sensor doesn't even go into closed loop.

I completed my first test with the EFIE and Hydro Super 2 off. So now I know with certainty that my base fuel mileage is 12.3 MPG (mainly town driving).
06-12-2008 09:05 AM
mike Offline

You won't be in open loop all the time, even in city driving, unless there is something wrong with your sensor or something. But you are correct in that the EFIE is a closed loop handing. If you spend a lot of time in open loop, you might try some of the other sensor handlings in Tuning For Mileage, such as the IAT or MAF handlings.

Visit Our Documents Page
06-13-2008 08:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CitatioN10 Offline

So we want the EFIE to run at 400mv correct ?
06-20-2008 04:55 PM
mike Offline

I don't know how you came up with that number. The correct setting for an EFIE in a particular vehicle is found by trial and error. Please see the installation instructions at http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/EfieInstall.html

In most vehicles that will be too high, but may not be in your case. The EFIE voltage plus the sensor voltage must be able to drop below .45 volts when the sensor goes low. If it never gets below .45 volts the ECU will think the sensor is damaged and never go into closed loop operation. You therefore need to test your EFIE setting. If it gets too high your mileage will get lots worse, and you'll probably set an error code. If that happens drop the EFIE back about .1 volt and if the ECU accepts that, move back up from there in smaller jumps.

I can't tell you what efie setting you should have. It varies between make/model/year of vehicle and depends on the HHO or other fuel saver you are using.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2009 11:16 AM by mike.)
06-20-2008 05:54 PM
ghkrahn Offline

Hi Mike and everyone else. I just made a very important discovery! I've been testing and experimenting on my 2003 Dodge Ram for weeks. I've got a 5.9 gas engine and I'm running a Hydro Super 2 and a single EFIE from Mike. Here's a HUGE tip to everyone out there (especially the newbies): MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING HOOKED UP PROPERLY BEFORE YOU GIVE UP AND THINK THIS AMAZING TECHNOLOGY ISN'T WORKING. I just found out that since day one my EFIE has been hooked up to the oxygen sensor DOWNSTREAM of the catalytic converter, not upstream like it's supposed to be. Everyone, please read and re-read all of your instructions on everything; HHO generator, EFIE, MAP/MAF sensor adjuster, etc.

I'm paying for my mistake with a lot of wasted time, money, and gas. I got the idea to check the wiring on my O2 sensor by reading one of the posts on this forum. Maybe this will help someone else out. I'll post my results after I've driven a tank's worth of gas with the EFIE hooked up to the upstream oxygen sensor. Don't give up out there...I almost did!
06-28-2008 08:24 PM
HerronPerformance Offline

I would test it, but I can not imagine that anything above .200 will work but also, I do not know how much O2 you are getting into the airstream so that number could go up with a good HHO system.

With the MPGs going down you are either jacking up the EFIE too high and getting knock retard which adds fuel and reduces timing.

http://www.herronperformance.com
06-29-2008 09:32 AM
cantburn Offline
All Fired Up

I am going to jump into this forum because I hooked up the EFIE today and was taking test reads on the sensor wire before hook up and this what I got for approx. 5 minutes. My millivolt reading were anywhere from -.68 to 798 back down to 125 then to 350 so on and so forth. Jumps all over the place.....Hooked up the EFIE and I was getting a rock steady 522. My O2 sensor is upstream and there is only one and it is a 3 wire, 2 heat and one signal. The O2 sensor is brand new Bosch unit and it is directly in the exhaust stream. Sooooo, I turned the EFIE down and kept turning it down until I have a reading of approx. 322. The engine idle did change a little but it is still idling the way it always has and I was just curious if this is acceptable becuase I hear that most people have to turn their EFIE up. I can crank mine down some more but I a little foggy on which way is best and just what is the computer reading with this adjustment. Mike, that is a great little unit you made, I made a video and put it on youtube which shows my installation on my '95 Tahoe, of course it is still uploading as we speak but check out your handy work, put Hydrogen By Cantburn in the search box and look at video #9.

"Life is but a tire swing"
06-30-2008 04:49 PM