Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Volo chips
Ryanrpm Offline

RE: Volo chips
So Gary & gerber,

How is the Volo chip working for you guys...? What's the latest on your gains?

Purchased! The AquaThrustPlus. Installed on my engine: Tundra 4.7L

[Image: f_emp3hbpw24tm_bcf4d7d.jpg] [Image: f_d32qa8uwm_b9baaff.jpg]

My next mods: Envalve, Vapor Assist.
01-01-2010 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary Offline

I've been holding off paying for one until I got enough testimonials to warrant the experiment. At this point of study, there are more NOT getting gains than those that are. And that's not accounting for people off of this website who may be prone to subconscious hypermiling, so I'm very dubious as to the efficacy of this product as yet.
Something else that seems to have happened to my pickup, is my gains have tanked either from winter fuel, or flashing the ECU so many times. I suspect that I've erased the LT fuel trim memories and it's going rich to compensate. At best, I'm getting about stock mileage on a very well-cared for truck.
01-01-2010 08:48 AM
gerber Offline

(Not happy with chip so far), i just change my o2 sensors and now the truck starts faster and runs a bit smoother so i then reset ecu and turned on h2 and re connected fs-2,reset chip and drive 140 miles like they tell u before car adjusts.
i then filled up and drove 65 miles mpg turned out to be 13.9 from the shitty average of 15.9 running no cell.
Too many unknowns with model years, brands, Ecu vs.jap ecu to h2 levels etc.
I know h2 works if all unknowns are figured out but as for the fs2 chip i have only tried it in this 99 ranger so please explain if you see them helping.
I have heard more then twice that jap cars are easier to manipulate running cells and tricking ecu...
01-18-2010 02:37 PM
Gary Offline

thus far, I have several shelves full of things that didn't work or got upgraded. I'm running out of room.
01-18-2010 03:31 PM
Ryanrpm Offline

Well, no results for me to post yet...only have about 70 miles on it so far. After a few tank fulls, then I'll throw some numbers on the screen.

01-18-2010 04:25 PM
waterboy1 Offline

ok I'll thow in my 2 cents worth. I bought a Volo "economy chip" last fall for my 96 Chevy P/UP last fall before a trip from NC to Fla. My truck has the 5.7L eng and I have never beeen able to get consistent gains with many differnt types of hho generators and with MAP enhancers, efie's etc. My normal mpg has been consistently between 10-12 mpg city and 15-16 hwy for the last 7 years that I have owned the truck. I installled the Volo chip using their instructions and set it according to the directions. On the trip to Fla (about 850 miles) I averaged about 20-22 mpg and over the past months I have gotten 15-16 mpg around town.
I am generally pleased with the chip but have several things that I have noticed:
1. the performance is about the same as stock--EXCEPT when you put the pedal to the metal. The engine then bogs down and will not accelerate. As long as you plan ahead and don't go above ~3200rpm it is no problem and accelerates well. You may be are thinking--what if I really need the rapid acceleration??? Yeah me too. I have pretty much gotten used to it and not had any problem but use caution.
2. the savings from the mpg increase have paid for the price of the chip.
3. Rarely the service eng light will come on and I have to reset the OBD II. The code indicates a problem with the O2 sensors (I can't remember the code#)
I have not rehooked my hho generator to the truck with the chip installed, so can't tell about that. I do plan to do so soon and will try to post results on that.
Should you get one?? I can't say- depends on what you want, how you drive, etc.
01-28-2010 12:31 PM
Kleen George Offline

(10-14-2009 06:20 PM)gerber Wrote:  has anybody used the Volo Performance chips fs-2 for example
if so what were your results and car make

I purchased 4 FS1.2 chips fitted to of them to date on Caddillac SRX and a BMW X5 Both vehicles have no noticeable MPG gains have not bothered to fit the remaining chips to 2 Ford vehicles
02-04-2010 12:27 AM
Ryanrpm Offline

I have ran about 2 tank fulls on the FS-2 so far, and it is doing something. The readings show there has been a gain of about 2-3 mpg.

I will continue to keep a close eye on it, and report back with more info as I burn through tank after tank......

02-04-2010 06:05 AM
waterboy1 Offline

Just thought that I would update my latest results for a trip to Fla and back with the Volo chip in my 96 Chevy p/up w/ 5.7L engine. I drove about 1600 miles, with most all of it on the interstate and at or near the speed limit (65-75mph). I kept close tabs on the mpg at every fill-up and averaged 18.7 mpg with a high of 19.9 mpg on last leg home. My truck only has 186,000 miles on it so far and I did not have my hho installed due to time restraints. I still need to get back to hho and find out if that makes a difference with the chip installed. This is an average increase of 4-6mpg over all my previous trips and I figure that the chip has paid for itself on this trip alone.
02-22-2010 12:43 PM
abe Offline

(02-22-2010 12:43 PM)waterboy1 Wrote:  Just thought that I would update my latest results for a trip to Fla and back with the Volo chip in my 96 Chevy p/up w/ 5.7L engine. I drove about 1600 miles, with most all of it on the interstate and at or near the speed limit (65-75mph). I kept close tabs on the mpg at every fill-up and averaged 18.7 mpg with a high of 19.9 mpg on last leg home. My truck only has 186,000 miles on it so far and I did not have my hho installed due to time restraints. I still need to get back to hho and find out if that makes a difference with the chip installed. This is an average increase of 4-6mpg over all my previous trips and I figure that the chip has paid for itself on this trip alone.

I was looking at the Volo chip too. Thanks for the update.
02-22-2010 05:19 PM