Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Voltage Stabilizers
Gary Offline

Voltage Stabilizers
I've been looking into these things and the best deal I'd found was here on FleaBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0119415245
Here's what I think: They list them according to cars, but when you click on your model, all the units say "universal" "fits all cars" and so forth. Looking at what they do, it's totally obvious that all they are is a few capacitors, my guess being about 3 different mf ranges. They put them in a pretty box and, voila!, you have a new miracle toy.
However.
I'm sure there can be some merit to them, as we've used 1Kmf caps for bass response on car stereos for some time now. As for fuel savings, I dunno, but I DO have a bunch of large caps laying around.

Anyone know what values would be best to use for a car?
Anyone know why detroit doesn't put them on every car?
Anyone HAVE one of these, so we can see the values?
12-03-2008 05:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stl_hemi Offline

RE: Voltage Stabilizers
Gary what does this do really?

Paul
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC Hemi Off Road
5" of lift with 35" Super Swamper SSR's

Trucks forsale
Buying a 2010 Ram 3500 Mega CTD Smile
12-03-2008 05:43 AM
Gary Offline

In my limited electronic knowledge, I'll attempt an answer. Remember, I'm assuming that this is capacitors because of the fit description of what they claim they do.
A capacitor is an electronic means of storing and releasing current/voltage.
A battery is a chemical means of storing and releasing current/voltage.
There is a time lag for the battery to make the chemical changes that charge it, a capacitor charges at the speed of electrons.
The alternator is making an alternating current, converting it to DC and sending it through the regulator, which keeps it above your 12v capacity of your battery. The surges and/or spikes of the running charging system won't charge the battery instantly, but rather the continuous overvoltage is what does the chemical change. However, these spikes/surges can be stored instantly in a capacitor. When your subwoofer thumps, AC comes on, wipers, or whatever, a large amperage current is drained from the battery, leaving supposedly less current for all other operating systems.
In effect, they are claiming/assuming/proposing that the system suffers as a result and will benefit from an extra supply of current. I don't disagree with this, but as for the coils and plugs to suffer, or any other noticable shortcoming, I somewhat doubt the amounts to be noticable. Think of a capacitor bank as an extra reserve, sort of like making your battery larger in a dynamic sense. It won't give you starting power, since a cap discharges instantly, but it could affect voltage stability (lack of spikes/valleys) in a dynamic sense as the systems are in operation. As I've said, this is merely my opinion, from my own knowledge base, not from any articles or ads. I just don't want to buy what I have laying on my bench that could be soldered up if I knew which ones to use.
Confusing enough?
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2008 06:14 AM by Gary.)
12-03-2008 06:11 AM
stl_hemi Offline

Actually you cleared it up for me. Thanks

Paul

Trucks forsale
12-03-2008 11:20 AM
stl_hemi Offline

Gary did you look into this any further yet?
As cheap as these are really I might try one. I'm already on the deep end of the pool in my family. Family all thinks I'm making a bomb.

I told them I'm making the truck into a bomb then shipping it over sea's to blow up the Taliban cause I think they killed Dale Sr. Smile

Paul

Trucks forsale
12-06-2008 08:19 PM
Gary Offline

I can only guess. It would seem that there may be a frequency with which voltage is spiked, dropped and replenished by the alternator. Or a range, rather, which is why I suspect that there are more than one caps in the stabilizers.
So there must be an optimum charge rate and an optimum discharge rate, although it may be simpler than that. It COULD be that you just need some caps big enough to handle it. And man, I got some BIGGUNS! Just not big enough for the subwoofer amp.
12-06-2008 08:47 PM