Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Voltage Supply relay question?
Robert Ameigh Offline

Shy Voltage Supply relay question?
if I install a relay rated at 10amps and 12 volts output but it is fed with a running voltage of 14.6 will the relay hold up without burning out the meter hooked to it? My vehicle has 14.6 volts running and 12 volts key on not running which GM says is correct.I will keep aperage down to 10 amps or less if I can find a relay to support it. Thanks every one for your support.All help is greatly appreciated.Wink
06-23-2008 08:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Voltage Supply relay question?
Robert Ameigh Wrote:if I install a relay rated at 10amps and 12 volts output but it is fed with a running voltage of 14.6 will the relay hold up without burning out the meter hooked to it? My vehicle has 14.6 volts running and 12 volts key on not running which GM says is correct.I will keep aperage down to 10 amps or less if I can find a relay to support it. Thanks every one for your support.All help is greatly appreciated.Wink

The 14.6 volts will not be a problem for driving the relay's coil. I'm sure it could handle much more voltage than that.

However, 10 amps seems pretty small if you're going to use it with an HHO gen. If you use a relay rated this low, then for sure get a 10 amp fuse on that circuit too.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-25-2008 12:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Robert Ameigh Offline

mike Wrote:
Robert Ameigh Wrote:if I install a relay rated at 10amps and 12 volts output but it is fed with a running voltage of 14.6 will the relay hold up without burning out the meter hooked to it? My vehicle has 14.6 volts running and 12 volts key on not running which GM says is correct.I will keep aperage down to 10 amps or less if I can find a relay to support it. Thanks every one for your support.All help is greatly appreciated.Wink

The 14.6 volts will not be a problem for driving the relay's coil. I'm sure it could handle much more voltage than that.

However, 10 amps seems pretty small if you're going to use it with an HHO gen. If you use a relay rated this low, then for sure get a 10 amp fuse on that circuit too.
research on relay problem was this relay was for gen with 14.6v and a 40amp max output thus to many amps for the Air fuel ratio guage to handle. We will use a 15 amp fused circuit with the 14.6 v and should resolve the issue of burnout by controling the amount of amperage available. What does the group think? this circuit will be seperate from the generator controller also.
06-28-2008 10:57 AM
skiers4ever Offline

Hi Bob, My unit has drawn almost 20 amps before I shut it off. It has a 30 amp fuse on it. I've heard others that blew their 30 amp fuse so I'm not sure 15 amps will be enough.

Good luck though!
John

2007 Honda Ridgeline 3.5L 4WD
Hydro Super 2 installed on 5/21/08
Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
06-28-2008 11:54 AM
owen1969 Offline

I seen a real nice cell from a guy on utube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYuwY_PSm...ture=email
I asked about his relay and he wrote this back,His english is broken or a bit scrambled but very understandable, here is his reply:
"Hi John, the relay is needing to switch the current of the load (cell). It's a std. one open contact relay, for automotive application, 12V 20A rating. You can buy one of it, to car parts shop for 1 or 2 bucks (maybe)..."
Now of course he is in Italy I think but I have tried all over town here in Sarnia Ontario Canada and Porthuron Michigan and cannot find anything, Anyone know where to get one?

06-30-2008 07:12 PM
brupska Offline

I found my 30 Amp relay at autozone. I just asked for a 4 wire 30 amp relay and they had it. I don't know what car its for. Good luck Brad
07-01-2008 08:00 PM