Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Voltage setting
koya1893 Offline

Voltage setting
Has anyone experience their EFIE setting increasing after running awhile. I mean Months, I've had a wide band and narrow band installed on my 2009 F-150 5.4 flex fuel. On my last tank of gas I noticed that my mileage was not the usual 18mpg city. So I thought I would check the signal wire voltage on the rear sensor, I had it set at 285 mv, it climbed to 313mv.
05-19-2010 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Voltage setting
(05-19-2010 04:47 PM)koya1893 Wrote:  Has anyone experience their EFIE setting increasing after running awhile. I mean Months, I've had a wide band and narrow band installed on my 2009 F-150 5.4 flex fuel. On my last tank of gas I noticed that my mileage was not the usual 18mpg city. So I thought I would check the signal wire voltage on the rear sensor, I had it set at 285 mv, it climbed to 313mv.

Are you measuring the signal wire vs ground? Or are you measuring the voltage at the test points? The black test point is not ground.

There will be some difference in the EFIE setting between summer and winter due to temperature effects. That may be part of this. For rear sensors, that's OK, but you may want to set the rear EFIE a bit lower if you're getting a reduction in mileage.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-20-2010 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
koya1893 Offline

Mike,
I am using the Dual EFIE Deluxe to handle the rear sensors. when I take the reading I use the red port and the black on the EFIE, of course red for the red test lead and black for the black test lead. I tried measuring the voltage with the red test lead in the red port and ground the black test lead to a frame ground. The reading is much higher at 1.12 or so.

Should I not use the black port on the EFIE for ground when adjusting the voltage?
05-24-2010 05:17 AM
mike Offline

Yes. You are reading it correctly. You can't really call the black test port "ground". But that's where your black meter lead should be.

Ok, so the increase in mv is a seasonal thing due to temperature change. The rear o2 sensors are not very sensitive, so you should probably find a good average setting for them that will work year around. If not, a seasonal adjustment would be needed.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-24-2010 12:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
loseitnow9 Offline

i noticed the same thing on mine too....when i test using the black test port for the - side of the meter it is lower then if i put the test probe grounded to the body of the car. example---in black test port reading is .080....grounded to the body .124---i'd be interested to know which one is accurate
08-08-2011 11:02 PM
mike Offline

This applies to the Deluxe Analog EFIEs. Not to digital EFIEs. Just want to make that clear to all readers:

The black test port is not connected to ground. The black test port is connected to the raw signal coming from the o2 sensor. The red test port is connected to the output to the computer. When you measure between the test ports, you are measuring the amount of voltage the EFIE is adding to the signal.

Visit Our Documents Page
08-09-2011 09:04 AM