Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WARNING: Stainless Steel
steelerfan89 Offline

WARNING: Stainless Steel
Cutting stainless steel is hazardous to your health. It effects you via inhalation and skin contact. If you are cutting stainless steel at home or welding stainless or chrome metals, read this:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hexchrom/

excerp

Hexavalent chromium (Cr(VI)) compounds are a group of chemical substances that contain the metallic element chromium in its positive-6 valence (hexavalent) state. Occupational exposures to Cr(VI) occur during the production of stainless steel, chromate chemicals, and chromate pigments. Cr(VI) exposures also occur during other work activities such as stainless steel welding, thermal cutting, chrome plating, painting, and coating processes

Just a heads up guys. There is no point in getting to 89 MPG if we only get to use it on the way to our funeral
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2008 11:18 AM by colchiro.)
06-15-2008 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3UZFE Offline

RE: WARNING: Stainless Steel
steelerfan89 Wrote:Cutting stainless steel is hazardous to your health. It effects you via inhalation and skin contact. If you are cutting stainless steel at home or welding stainless or chrome metals, read this:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hexchrom/

excerp

Hexavalent chromium (Cr(VI)) compounds are a group of chemical substances that contain the metallic element chromium in its positive-6 valence (hexavalent) state. Occupational exposures to Cr(VI) occur during the production of stainless steel, chromate chemicals, and chromate pigments. Cr(VI) exposures also occur during other work activities such as stainless steel welding, thermal cutting, chrome plating, painting, and coating processes

Just a heads up guys. There is no point in getting to 89 MPG if we only get to use it on the way to our funeral

True. But welding in general is hazardous, and people do it all day for a job. Somone that is just cutting a few plates for a day of thier life isn't at much risk. I am welding 5" shec. 40 galv pipe together today. Of course I am grinding off the galvy first (which you don't really want to breathe either). This is probably 20 times worst than cutting a few plates of stainless. Just be smart people, I always wear goves (mostly for cuts) and try to wear a mask as much as I can grinding. Odds are that most people would be more likley to blow themselves up with the finished booster before being poisoned by metal. You could be t-boned by a diesel tomorrow too? Live life!

New to the forum, sorry for the rag for the first post, just trying to be helpful.
06-15-2008 12:04 PM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

It also says thermal cutting such as a plasma cutter or something of the nature, using tin snips or a shear will not pose a danger, and as for the fumes if you do cut or weld it as stated above I doubt its anything to be concerned about for what little people are doing here. If it was your job and you did it everyday for 10 years you might have problems but other than that I think the threat is minimal
06-15-2008 03:36 PM
steelerfan89 Offline

tjh566 Wrote:It also says thermal cutting such as a plasma cutter or something of the nature, using tin snips or a shear will not pose a danger, and as for the fumes if you do cut or weld it as stated above I doubt its anything to be concerned about for what little people are doing here. If it was your job and you did it everyday for 10 years you might have problems but other than that I think the threat is minimal

No guys. Im afraid this isnt one of those cases. Chromium hexavalent is bad news period. When you weld steel all day long it really doesnt matter. Thats like saying 'I get dust all day long from cars riding down a dirt road, so a little asbestos isnt going to hurt me'. It just doesnt work that way.

Take proper precautions if your burning stainless. Long sleeves, gloves, etc. When your done let the clothing that has been exposed air out for a day before washing it as the chromium breaks down very quickly. I know some people are not going to heed this, but at least your not going in blind now.

From the OSHA site. The amount OSHA will let a worker be exposed to is basically.... ANY
ie... if your company exposes you to ANY fumes from cutting stainless then they broke the law. Its worse the asbestos exposure.

SUMMARY: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is
amending the existing standard which limits occupational exposure to
hexavalent chromium (Cr(VI)). OSHA has determined based upon the best
evidence currently available that at the current permissible exposure
limit (PEL) for Cr(VI), workers face a significant risk to material
impairment of their health.

The evidence in the record for this
rulemaking indicates that workers exposed to Cr(VI) are at an increased
risk of developing lung cancer. The record also indicates that
occupational exposure to Cr(VI) may result in asthma, and damage to the
nasal epithelia and skin.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp....L_REGISTER

I make a living looking out for things like this. It really is that bad. The worst thing you could do is play it down for those not in construction that dont have any idea. Their wife and kid might be looking over the shoulder when they cut the next part
06-15-2008 04:54 PM
havoc Offline

People lived to be over a hundred years before any of this OSHA crap even existed. Most of us grew up in asbestos homes. You don't need to freak out about every little thing. Take the necessary precautions and that's it. Live life and stop worrying about what's going to kill you. Do you know how many chemicals we breath everyday? Just loosen up and you will feel much better.
06-15-2008 07:37 PM
qsiguy Offline

I'm all for safety as well but seriously, you can't live life worrying about every thing that will hurt you. I'm still around and I have done a lot of welding including stainless. All we can do is follow safety procedures the best we can. Unless you live in a bubble you can't avoid anything that will cause health problems. Every day I work with welding (much of it stainless steel), metal cutting/grinding, high voltages (excess of 10K volts at times), ozone gas, and other chemicals...I guess my days are numbered.

"if your company exposes you to ANY fumes from cutting stainless then they broke the law" If this statement is true who's going to weld all the stainless steel projects that need to be done?

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
06-15-2008 07:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3UZFE Offline

"if your company exposes you to ANY fumes from cutting stainless then they broke the law" If this statement is true who's going to weld all the stainless steel projects that need to be done?
[/quote]

True that! It's amazing what companies do. A friend works for a dump truck manf. And they only wear resparators when OSHA is around, they are in a isolated spot so they know. I told him he should just use it but....you know what they say about a horse and water!

Your statments are totally correct, I am by no means condoning slack safety practices. Just dont be scared by the amount most of the people here are doing. And if your wife and kids are leaning over your shoulder while your cutting and grinding metal.......well thats just natural selection, its the bottom of the food chain!Shocked
06-16-2008 07:16 AM
qsiguy Offline

3UZFE Wrote:...And if your wife and kids are leaning over your shoulder while your cutting and grinding metal.......well thats just natural selection, its the bottom of the food chain!Shocked

LOL, that is funny, had to laugh. Seriously, I make my older boys wear safety equipment when they are around when I'm working and or course when they are helping. If my younger kids are around they must leave the garage when I am cutting or welding anything. Honestly, if I'm welding or cutting my wife and kids rarely want to hang around, they usually make a beeline for the house when my tools start up.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
06-16-2008 07:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply