Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Water in crankcase
Sidco7 Offline

Water in crankcase
We are all aware that the by-product of the combustion of HHO gas is water. Has anyone found a problem with, or experienced the possibility of water seeping past the piston rings and into the crankcase? Would this even be possible?

I reference a paper published by Walter Lanz, in 2001, stating that this just might be a problem. "Hydrogen Fuel Cells and Related Technologies. Rev 0, Dec 2001" pp3-15 Module 3 Section 3-7 "Crankcase Ventilation"

Just throwin it out there.

Heres the link: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandf...anual.html
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2008 01:39 PM by Sidco7.)
06-23-2008 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Handyman08 Offline

RE: Water in crankcase
I think, and this is just my opinion, that the water vapor that would enter the combustion chamber would be turned into steam-- the steam at some point will condense but I do not think that would happen until it hit the cooler atmosphere of the exhaust system. Aircraft engines have been using water vapor injection for many many years and I asked a friend who is a well seasoned aviation mechanic and he never observed a problem with water entering the crankcase unless there was a problem with the cylinder (piston) rings (low compression and blow by).
06-23-2008 03:21 PM
CheezWiz Offline

It is normal for the engine to accumulate moisture anyways. That is one reason it is recommended that stored cars be run to operating temperature on a regular basis. Also, cars that are frequently driven short distances and never reach high temps are considered as being used in an extreme environment and require more frequent service intervals. I would think that just running the vehicle without the unit on for a period of time (at full temp) every so often would remove any accumulated moisture from the oil..
06-23-2008 06:04 PM
visek Offline

You can set up a PCV jar which will remove excess moisture...espec if it in in a cool area.
06-24-2008 04:03 AM
Sidco7 Offline

visek Wrote:You can set up a PCV jar which will remove excess moisture...espec if it in in a cool area.

I'm thinking here that the fine people at the College of the Desert were referring to the combustion process which happens inside the engine cylinders. No matter how 'dry' the hyrogen/oxygen mix is before entering the cylinder, the combustion of the two gasses together produce water. They were not referring to any water vapor entering the cylinders

I agree with CheezWiz and Handy in that it shouldn't be a problem (theoretically) but the reason for the thread was to see if anyone who has been burning HHO for some time, has had any problems with it. Has anyone changed oil in their motors and found a mess of oil and water mix?
06-24-2008 06:55 AM
visek Offline

Some people do inject water or methanol/water mixes...I used a PCV jar when doing this.

Gasoline already produces lots of water vapor during combustion.

A hydrogen generator doesn't lose much water over time....and this is the water that would show up when the HHO is burned.
06-25-2008 03:28 AM
eudamac Offline

No problem, don't worry about it
Water is also a major by-product of burning gasoline. Your engine is already designed to deal with this issue.

Water is a byproduct of burning ANY hydrocarbon. "Hydrocarbon" - e.g. has hydrogen and carbon in it. When hydrogen burns, it becomes water. When carbon burns it becomes CO2, which trees love to gobble up.

99% of what comes out the tailpipe of an ordinary vehicle is water and CO2. The "pollutants" are only a trace of it - a very stinky trace, but still, just a trace.
06-25-2008 11:22 AM
Gary Offline

As eudamac said, not a problem. But if you ever do have water in your oil, the oil will turn milky looking and you'd better check your radiator first. The amounts of water in the combustion chamber from the recombining of Ho and o2 are blown out the exhaust port anyway. I could see problems from rusting mufflers, but we have that anyway from gas.
You ever see water coming out of a tailpipe? I see it all the time.
06-29-2008 11:11 AM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

Yes it isn't a problem, on my mustang I have methanol injection, it injects a 50% methanol and 50% water mixture directly into my intake, it I have no problems.
06-29-2008 11:17 AM
colchiro Offline

Gary Wrote:As eudamac said, not a problem. But if you ever do have water in your oil, the oil will turn milky looking and you'd better check your radiator first. The amounts of water in the combustion chamber from the recombining of Ho and o2 are blown out the exhaust port anyway. I could see problems from rusting mufflers, but we have that anyway from gas.
You ever see water coming out of a tailpipe? I see it all the time.

... all symptoms of stop 'n go driving.Blush

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-29-2008 11:56 AM