Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Water solution during winter
wareagle Offline

Water solution during winter
What can be done to keep the water solution from breaking the jars in extreme cold weather?
10-24-2008 08:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pondscum5 Offline

RE: Water solution during winter
WINTER OPERATION like any other equipment exposed to the elements, must be protected from freezing during cold weather. This can be accomplished by adding denatured alcohol a 20% alcohol solution. 4 to 1 ratio.
10-24-2008 02:22 PM
thomasbala Offline

wareagle Wrote:What can be done to keep the water solution from breaking the jars in extreme cold weather?

Buy some "HEET". You can find it just about anyplace, Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, etc. It's methyl alcohol primarily used to dilute with water to make windshield washer fluid. Years ago when everyone used water in their "squirts" they put methyl alcohol in the w/s washer tank with water to prevent freezing.

NASA has used Methyl alcohol as an electrolyte for some of their projects. I don't know how they did it; when I tried using it ,pure, electrolysis was almost non existent. In solution though it has worked for me with NaOH, KOH, citric acid and acedic acid. You need to get an antifreeze tester ($3.99) and test your electrolyte every day. The heat generated in your HHO generator evaporates the methyl alcohol quickly. I would imagine isoproply alcohol (rubbing alcohol) or ethyl alcohol (booze) would work just as well.
10-24-2008 03:06 PM
wboggs Offline

I've heard 25% wood alcohol but frankly I have done bench tests on windshield washer fluid and didn't seem to get any less production though I didn't measure it. I did run a cell all night on WW fluid then put it in the freezer in a container over night to see if it lost any anti freezing properties and the used solution would not freeze. So using it does not alter it's ability to stay fluid.

Oh and the blue coloring had no visible adverse effect.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2008 08:14 PM by wboggs.)
10-25-2008 08:13 PM
wareagle Offline

wboggs Wrote:I've heard 25% wood alcohol but frankly I have done bench tests on windshield washer fluid and didn't seem to get any less production though I didn't measure it. I did run a cell all night on WW fluid then put it in the freezer in a container over night to see if it lost any anti freezing properties and the used solution would not freeze. So using it does not alter it's ability to stay fluid.

Oh and the blue coloring had no visible adverse effect.
10-29-2008 05:15 AM
wareagle Offline

GuGys, I am stil not getting production and I have added 4 more jars for a total of 10. I have a Dodge Ram w/360 engine and have extended the oxygen sensors away from the exhaust stream but still no hydrogen. The wiring is right and I get a reaction off each jar w/the stainless steel electrode but still nothing. There is adequate suction from the carb. What might be the problem?
10-29-2008 05:23 AM
chadwick Offline

Would it be possible,to install a evacuation pump on the hydrolizer to just drain the system?
then when your ready to go you just reverse the process and it refills.A simple two way switch wired both ways would work. The fluid could be pumped into a hose wraped around your heater hoses. Once the vehicle is hot ,the solution will be ready to go .Call me a dreamer but I figure that some people are happy with a certain mixture that really works for them and why change or add solvents, Iam trying to think green.Also this way you could get your mixture temp up to a better operating temp quicker.
All food for thought!
10-29-2008 06:23 AM
hydrotinkerer Offline

I was just sitting here measuring PH of different chemicals. This is a scale from 1-14 with 7 as the neutral.
Naoh was 14
isopropyl alcohol was 7
methyl alcohol was 7
w/washer fluid was 7(contains methanol)
regular(green)antifreeze was 11

The neutral ones should not affect or have minimal effect on electrolite mix(affecting gas production). Regular antifreeze does have anti electrolysis additive. I don't know how much that would affect production though. When we measure coolant system electolysis it should not be over .10v so the additive might have a minimal affect.
10-29-2008 07:16 AM
howiemandel Offline

Why not use a BIRD BATH HEATER on the bottom of your cells? SOmething of that nature. Any good tack company or feed company will have 10 or more different style from dish to jar to tank heaters, already made for what we want.
10-29-2008 10:10 AM
badhabitwv Offline

HYDROTINKERER I have just tried to use antifreeze and you really have to put in alot of electrolite to get very little production and turns very crapy. My oppinion it aint worth the money or effert to even try it.
11-21-2008 05:12 PM