Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wet vs. dry cell
lucky55 Offline

Wet vs. dry cell
Big Grin Re- wet cells i hear they are less efficient than dry cells due to leakage off the edges of the plates. Q. what if one was to paint all the edges of all the plates with GLYPTAL (electrical insulating varnish) would that elliminate these losesl? If so, output for amount of SS can be maximized due to waste of SS from the gasket out to the edge being at the outer edge. Even 1/8" wide would be a fair area due to it's length. i live and learn from opinions of others.
Confused I'm a newbie to this hho, but been industrial electrician for 35 years.
06-07-2009 04:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ptours99 Offline

RE: Wet vs. dry cell
well your saying that 1/8'' would be like an o ring and it would work if you had a groove cut in for it to fit cuz w/out a groove there isn't enough of that material to contain leakage after a few heat cycles you keep torquing down bolts and that type of compression would make it to thin.tightening process may take more than a few torquing sessions.unless your going to use a material that doesn't collapse.

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
06-07-2009 05:49 AM
lucky55 Offline

What I was getting at, was to maximize the plate surface for electrolisis, much of which is lost under any kind of gasket or O ring. thanks
06-07-2009 08:06 AM
abe Offline

(06-07-2009 08:06 AM)lucky55 Wrote:  What I was getting at, was to maximize the plate surface for electrolisis, much of which is lost under any kind of gasket or O ring. thanks

Lucky, I like the way you think. I was thinking a wet cell will produces better per sq in. Because of the lost of plates due to the room the gaskets do take up in a dry cell. Yes you do lose voltage on the ends of a wet cell but you also lose a lot of curent at the holes of a dry cells.I like that a dry cell is small than a wet cell with the same size, plates.There is not enought room in my car for some of these wet cells.But what if you could make a dry cell like a wet cell.Say a plexaglass box with like groves that the plates would slide in so the curent would not jump across the ends.Dont put any holes in the plates.Seal the top off with another piece of glass with holes inbetween the cell to let gas out and water in.This would mean another chamber on top of that,with 1/4" gas out and water in holes.Anyway thats what I been thanking about. Make it is another matter. What do you thank?
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2009 10:24 AM by abe.)
06-07-2009 10:05 AM
lucky55 Offline

(06-07-2009 10:05 AM)abe Wrote:  
(06-07-2009 08:06 AM)lucky55 Wrote:  What I was getting at, was to maximize the plate surface for electrolisis, much of which is lost under any kind of gasket or O ring. thanks

Lucky, I like the way you think. I was thinking a wet cell will produces better per sq in. Because of the lost of plates due to the room the gaskets do take up in a dry cell. Yes you do lose voltage on the ends of a wet cell but you also lose a lot of curent at the holes of a dry cells.I like that a dry cell is small than a wet cell with the same size, plates.There is not enought room in my car for some of these wet cells.But what if you could make a dry cell like a wet cell.Say a plexaglass box with like groves that the plates would slide in so the curent would not jump across the ends.Dont put any holes in the plates.Seal the top off with another piece of glass with holes inbetween the cell to let gas out and water in.This would mean another chamber on top of that,with 1/4" gas out and water in holes.Anyway thats what I been thanking about. Make it is another matter. What do you thank?

That sounds like a novel idea. Access to a digital milling machine would be ideal to cut the grooves for the plates, and cut a slot @ 90 to the plates in the middle of the lid and base plates(not to the outside edges) so it can collect gas and deliver juice silicone the edges of the plates into the plexiglass box and VOILA no holes no gaskets no bolts to torque I LOVE IT. But how do the internal and extrernal connections get made.
my first thought is to TIG weld the plates and tig weld studs onto 2 plates
to bring out the 2 terminals. But once again access to a TIG helps.
And then again i think u can get by, to have a section on top with exposed edges (only a tiny leakage)to make your connectins, unless u want to drill holes through the lid for each pos and neg plate (silcone the tabs coming through the top to seal them. I wana try one now.
Gasp had light go off about how to imbed plate into the plastic simply space and clamp the plates heat the plate edges JUST warm enough to melt 1/16" to 1/8" into the plastic ...... (voila grooves cut)
06-07-2009 12:06 PM