Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What am I doing wrong?
midnight1957 Offline

What am I doing wrong?
Hi, I am new to the forum and experimenting with the hydrogen cells. I ordered the 2 mason jars with the SS wire twisted around the inner support. I wanted to become familar with hydrogen and how to produce and use it then I would like to build Joe cell.
Today I benched tested my cells by putting the distilled water in the jars and added 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda according to the instructions that came with it, hooked it up to my charger and no bubbles. I kept adding baking soda 1/2 teaspoon at a time until I have added a total of 4 1/2 teaspoons, and still no bubbles.
Here are my other readings: 25 amps at 107 degrees F.
In some post I have read that you have to let the cells condition themselves, is this true? I have noticed that the water is not clear anymore and has a light reddish tint to it.
Also it seems that after about 2 teaspoons of baking soda that it was actually making less of the fine cloudy bubbles.
Do I need to empty everything out and start over with lye?
I ask the guy that I bought it from about using lye but he said to be careful and not get the plastic lid too hot.
What do you think, let it run for a few days or start over and start using lye, if so how much should I start with.
I have read and learned a lot from this forum and any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks and have a Blessed day,
Wade
07-17-2008 10:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
midnight1957 Offline

RE: What am I doing wrong?
OK here is where I am now.
To begin with here is the way my 2 mason jar cells were wire together. Negative from battery going to black post, wire going from red post of 1st jar to black post on 2nd jar and battery positive going to red post of 2nd jar.

When I got no bubbles I removed the battery positive from the second jar and connected it to the red on the first jar. It ran for a short time making pretty a good amount of bubbles then blowed a 10 amp fues. I replaced it with different amp fuses up to a 30 amp but it blows them as soon as I connect the battery negative to it.

I thought maybe 4 1/2 teaspoosn of baking was too much so I emptied the jar, washed the cell and put distilled water in it with only 1 teaspoon of baking soda, still blowing fuses. I then emptied it again, washed the cell and filled it again with distilled water only, NO baking soda, again as soon as I connect the negative to the battery it blows fuses.
Does anyone have any idea whats going on?

The reason that I seperated them in the first place was it was not making any bubbles and any place I checked with my meter I could only get 6 to 7 volts but at my battery I am getting 13 to 14 volts.

Have I fried the cell, do I need to try to hook up the 2nd cell only?
I know this is a learning curve but it looks like I have a long way to go.
Why wasn't I getting only 6 to 7 volts when the cells were connected together and no bubbles with 4 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda in each one of them?

Guys any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Wade
07-17-2008 12:53 PM
colchiro Offline

Since you have two cells, the most efficient way to wire them is like you had....

+12 volt ---- fuse ---- relay ---- ammeter ---- cell1 ---- cell2 ---- gnd.

This should be twice as efficient as hooking both red to battery and both black to ground.

You'll probably have to make the electrolyte stronger than before to get the amount of gas you wanted. Wired this way, you're only going to have 6-7 volts on each cell.

Your fuse HAS to match the weakest point in your wiring. You can't run a 30 amp fuse if your wire's only good for 20 amps. That's how fires start.Hmm

FWIW, if the voltage on both is the same, your jars have the same current running through each.

Most people here complain about rust with baking soda so you'll want to check out NaOh or KOh.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-17-2008 04:01 PM
midnight1957 Offline

Thanks Colchiro for your reply. What is the reason that now with only water no baking soda that as soon as I connect the negative it will blow a 25 amp fuse?

Wade
07-17-2008 05:39 PM
colchiro Offline

Sounds like something shorted out in your cell.

Something rust out already or jiggle loose?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-17-2008 05:50 PM
cbgeorge Offline

midnight1957 Wrote:Thanks Colchiro for your reply. What is the reason that now with only water no baking soda that as soon as I connect the negative it will blow a 25 amp fuse?

Wade

You got a dead short somewhere, empty the cell out, check it with ohm meter.
11-01-2008 05:08 PM
ted Offline

Yes a dead short for sure! Are you sure that the wire is a good way to go. I found that it has too many faults. How can you determine how much amprage is required etc...
yOU SHOULD CONVERT TO USING SS PLATES. are you ready for that step?
11-01-2008 08:10 PM
colchiro Offline

You guys aware that there's a lapse of over 3 and a half months before cbgeorge's post?Wink

I would think by now, the problem is resolved, he started over or gave up.

Rick

11-01-2008 08:31 PM
ted Offline

Fargo nd .I think I saw a movie called Fargo Yah ! isnt that HIGH COUNTRY!
Being a moderator is that like being a brown noser. Who cares! Point is we all learn from interesting points and comments regardless of age . but thanks for pointing it out. I will reset my comment O meter as of Mid night tonight.
11-01-2008 08:58 PM
colchiro Offline

... prior to that movie, people used to think everyone here wore cowboy hats and fought with the indians.Hmm

Looks like midnight is still around working on a new dry cell: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php...6#pid20816

Rick

11-02-2008 05:49 AM