Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What did I do wrong?
Grocko72 Offline

What did I do wrong?
I just built a Hydro chamber and I dont get any gas

It is a 6 chamber box, each chamber holds about 2 Qts of water, in each chamber has 4 plates that are 2" X 6", each chamber is wired in series, When I put power to it (12 volt) I get nothing, if I only power one or 2 chambers it works great but not all six.

this is my first atempt at a 6 chamber setup.

Do I have too many plates?

any input would help

Thanks
06-03-2008 07:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ricker1078 Offline

RE: What did I do wrong?
I think you are dropping all your voltage across the first 2 chambers not enough voltage to push amps through them all in less you put them in parellel perhaps 2 cells in series but parellel every other
Grocko72 Wrote:I just built a Hydro chamber and I dont get any gas

It is a 6 chamber box, each chamber holds about 2 Qts of water, in each chamber has 4 plates that are 2" X 6", each chamber is wired in series, When I put power to it (12 volt) I get nothing, if I only power one or 2 chambers it works great but not all six.

any input would help

Thanks
06-03-2008 11:38 PM
jksav7 Offline

Sounds like it should work, especially when run at close to 14 volts. What kind of catalyst are you using, and how much of it?

Grocko72 Wrote:I just built a Hydro chamber and I dont get any gas

any input would help

Thanks
06-04-2008 08:40 AM
Grocko72 Offline

I used tap water with salt, not much salt, It was just a test so I didn't take the time to make a proper catalyst since it was just a test. I still should have gotten something but got nothing, when I hook power to only one chamber it works great.

I wanted to make 6 chambers to cut down on heat becouse its all made of plastic and I dont want it to melt
06-04-2008 05:21 PM
colchiro Offline

Salt makes chlorine gas, nasty stuff to inhale or suck into your engine. Vinegar would be safer.

How far apart are your plates?

Get a decent electrolyte in it and see how it works.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-04-2008 05:40 PM
Grocko72 Offline

For my final electrolite I was going to use baking soda. I only used the salt for a quick test and then dumped it out.

the plates are about 1/8" apart, however the spacing does vary, and is at some point closer to a 1/4"

If I wired it in parellel Im sure I would get the results Im looking for, but would it create heat? or if I wired 2 cells in series 3 times for the 6 cells and then wired those 3 in parellel, would that work? My goal is to split the voltage to cut down on heat.
06-04-2008 07:04 PM
colchiro Offline

3 separate cells (each with their own electrolyte) in series would be much better. Series cells like that are about 6 times more efficient.

Your spacing should be as close to 1/8 inch for the entire length of the cell for maximum gas production. Electricity will take the closet path so with your current cell, most of the action is happening at the closer end.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-05-2008 05:27 PM
Maxy Offline

Good luck with your quest. Let us know how it works. If you can wait a day or two before consumption it might help the buzz. I don't have a jar of Skippy in front of me, but I do have a jar of Jif. It claims to have zero trans fats and hydrogenated oil is a trans fat.
02-09-2011 08:24 PM
Paulusgnome Offline

(06-04-2008 07:04 PM)Grocko72 Wrote:  For my final electrolite I was going to use baking soda. I only used the salt for a quick test and then dumped it out.

the plates are about 1/8" apart, however the spacing does vary, and is at some point closer to a 1/4"

If I wired it in parellel Im sure I would get the results Im looking for, but would it create heat? or if I wired 2 cells in series 3 times for the 6 cells and then wired those 3 in parellel, would that work? My goal is to split the voltage to cut down on heat.

Baking soda is a poor choice for an electrolyte.
Do a search on this forum and you will find many posts warning not to use baking soda, it decomposes under electrolysis to sodium hydroxide and CO2 gas (undesirable), and it seems to eat your stainless steel plates.

Sodium or potassium hydroxide, readily available as a drain cleaner, is known to produce good results.
02-10-2011 06:17 PM