Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What effect do Winter Fuel Mixes have?
Yodamaker Offline

What effect do Winter Fuel Mixes have?
With winter here the oil companies have re-formulated the fuel.
1. What effect does this have on our HHO installations?
2. What steps should we take to winterize our set-ups?
3. Do we need to adjust our startup routines for cold weather?
4. What sensor adjustments will be best to compensate?

I have given a lot of thought about how to winterize the cell itself and came to the conclusion that buying pipe heat tape and plugging it in when not in operation, especially over night is the best way to go.
Using electrolyte will lower the freezing temp of the solution, no matter what you use, but when it comes to cold storage it would take too much electrolyte, for normal operation, to make it freeze proof at near 0 temps let alone temperatures lower than that. Just my experience.

These are things that all of us need to concider and if you have any experiences that you have had success with please post in this thread?

89 Ford Probe 4cyl 51mpg/hwy
http://www.greatertech.com
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2008 09:22 PM by Yodamaker.)
11-18-2008 09:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
palongee1 Offline

RE: What effect do Winter Fuel Mixes have?
Hey there..ive been searching all over for some sort of way to keep the cell from freezing without having to plug it in to AC. I was hoping to find 12volt heat tape but no luck. I actually posted on here asking if anyone had figured out some sort of 12 volt heater setup but got no responses. Today I got rid of my old soultion and mixed up fresh distilled, naoh, and 10% methyl alcohol. I noticed after getting the gen up to temp and running again that my production looked pretty weak...SO I tested it and it is about 35-40% less output than it was with my old mixture at the same temperature!!!! Thats pretty crappy if you ask me. Ideally I would like to figure out a way to use distilled water and naoh...and heat it somehow...it wouldnt need to get it hot..just keep it above freezing...so far it looks like alcohol....
11-19-2008 01:48 PM
ptours99 Offline

RE: What effect do Winter Fuel Mixes have?
palongee1 Wrote:Hey there..ive been searching all over for some sort of way to keep the cell from freezing without having to plug it in to AC. I was hoping to find 12volt heat tape but no luck. I actually posted on here asking if anyone had figured out some sort of 12 volt heater setup but got no responses. Today I got rid of my old soultion and mixed up fresh distilled, naoh, and 10% methyl alcohol. I noticed after getting the gen up to temp and running again that my production looked pretty weak...SO I tested it and it is about 35-40% less output than it was with my old mixture at the same temperature!!!! Thats pretty crappy if you ask me. Ideally I would like to figure out a way to use distilled water and naoh...and heat it somehow...it wouldnt need to get it hot..just keep it above freezing...so far it looks like alcohol....
why not go to lowes or depot,get a roll of 1/4'' cooper and form it aroun d your cell take both ends over to the heater core section and splice them in instALL A VALVE TO SHUT OFF IN SUMMER.

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
11-19-2008 03:04 PM