Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What have I missed?
glbart Offline

What have I missed?
1993 chev corsica 3.1 auto 3speed. I have a smacks booster, efie set at 200mv, 3.9k resistor on iat,cts. 60 mile round trip to work no stops no traffic 65 mph cruise set. 32 mpg is my best so far. Tried the map sensor cheater, ran real bad took it off. Do i need this. If so is there some better info on how to set it up. I thougth with all of this i should get better mpg. I used to get 28-30 before any mods.
06-12-2008 05:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: What have I missed?
It's hard to debug with this information. First, I don't know if the Smacks is putting out gas, or if it's built well enough to be efficient. How many amps and how much gas would be my first questions.

Also, I don't know if the resistor values you're using for the IAT and CTS are in a correct range. That may be correct, and it may be so far off that the computer just thinks the sensor is bad and ignores it.

Do you have a check engine light? If so what is the trouble code?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-12-2008 02:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glbart Offline

15amp cold 25 amp hot. 1.5L per minute. iat & cts raised 13 degrees. o2s runs in 900mv range. no ck eng lite. I am an ase master tech at a large chevy dealership. I drive with a tech 2 in my lap. But all my training is for factory settings. This cheating the computer is all new to me. I expected better results, from all that i have read on this subject.
06-13-2008 04:37 AM
jksav7 Offline

Don't know, but maybe you have the millivolts too high even though it's not throwing a code. Also, 25 amps might be too much draw. You might have better success around 10 amps. Don't know for sure, just suggestions.

glbart Wrote:15amp cold 25 amp hot. 1.5L per minute. iat & cts raised 13 degrees. o2s runs in 900mv range. no ck eng lite. I am an ase master tech at a large chevy dealership. I drive with a tech 2 in my lap. But all my training is for factory settings. This cheating the computer is all new to me. I expected better results, from all that i have read on this subject.
06-13-2008 08:23 AM
mike Offline

I have the same suggestions. Those amps cost you mpg, and there's only so much gain you're going to get with HHO. Please see this article which explains why: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/HowMuchHHO.html

I'm not sure what you mean by 900 mv range. That's got to be above the switching point for the sensor if I'm understanding your meaning. An unmodified sensor puts out an average of .45 volts, switching high and low constantly. The EFIE must be set for less than .45 or the sensor will never go low and the computer will "see" a dysfunctional sensor. What have you set your EFIE to?

Visit Our Documents Page
06-14-2008 12:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glbart Offline

What amps would u suggest i try?? 900mv is scan tool data (rich) on the scan tool an 02 ranges above and below 450mv. I had my efie set at 300 first try, dropped to 24.5mpg no code set. Then I was watching scan tool on my way home and 02 went into open loop, o I backed off to 200mv on efie, next tank went to 29.8. This week was 31.7 Less amps less HHO?? I had water dripping out of tail pipe one day after 30 mile drive, too much HHO ?????????
06-14-2008 05:21 AM
colchiro Offline

I agree with jk and mike, try to keep amps below a maximum of 20.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-14-2008 06:58 AM
mike Offline

More (HHO) is not always better. See the link in my last post.

It sounds like you're getting closer to the correct settings based on your mileage. Keep adjusting in the direction of better mileage.

The amount of water created by the HHO you're adding is super small. It's not going to cause water to run out of your exhaust. Realize that water is one of the primary by products of your gas burning. That's why on cold mornings you see steam come out of a car's exhaust pipe. So don't worry about your HHO in this regard.

Visit Our Documents Page
06-15-2008 04:14 PM
drip32 Offline

I have installed a Smack as well on a Saturn Ion. I set the Efie at 220MV and the Amps at 15 and I'm not seeing an increase. What am I doing wrong? No codes. scan gauge is saying that the o2 sensor is at 108 at idle but when I'm driving the car it stays under .45. Please Help!!
06-18-2008 06:26 AM
glbart Offline

I don't know I give up, tired of messing with it.
06-18-2008 07:17 AM