Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is 302/304 stainless steel?
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

What is 302/304 stainless steel?
What is 302/304 stainless steel? Is it just 304 stainless, or what? I'm kind of confused with the dash in between. Last I checked, 302 was not the same as 304? Maybe I'm just confused...

I'm getting the stainless from this link:
http://www.maudlinproducts.com/1275.xml?cat=1165

.004" thick, 6"x50"

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
07-16-2008 03:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owen1969 Offline

RE: What is 302/304 stainless steel?
Are you using this for outside casing? of for the anode/cathode?
Im not really sure why they have the dash between 302/304 unless when ordering you can get 302 or 304. Usually it's 302 or 304. But one thing is for sure, if your using it for the neg or pos /anode or chathode you should get 316. If your question is asking what the diffrence is between the 302/304 the diffrence is the properties in the metal, or ingredients used to make it. I ran across 321ss in my garage, I think I got it from my father inlaw but not positive. So to see what it's properties were I asked the QC at work to run me a printout on it's properties, My 321ss is really high in nickel if I remember right(cannot find the printout). But the diffrence is the properties. I noticed that the switch plates at home depot are made od 302ss, guess thats why they are only .72 each. 316 is more expensive but stands up much better for what we are doing .
Hope this helps, John
07-19-2008 04:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RDKamikaze Offline

Thanks! I already knew the differences in the stainless, but that could help someone browsing the thread if they had that question. Big Grin

As for MY original question (sorry if it wasn't clear), I'm curious what "302/304" stainless steel is. I did a bit more research on it and found out that it's traditionally called "18-8" stainless (if I remember), which is the other name for 304 stainless. I also compared the chart on the website with another website's 304 stainless, and they're exactly the same.

And another question that I thought I knew, but aparently I don't know EXACTLY:
Why is it critical that we use 316 stainless for the anode/cathodes? I knew that it had less resistance and the properties make it last longer, but is that it? I know people out there using 304 stainless and it's fine...? I thought we could use 304 as well, or am I wrong?

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-19-2008 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
visek Offline

* some claim that plain steel works OK if heat treated in some way

* I use 304ss for both _ and +...but with my cells the - plates are what corroded....while everyone else seems to have problems with the + plates. I did start out with some old Draino though...now using Roebic NaOH

* for a test design I'd just use 304...you can always upgrade to 316 when you have it worked out?

RDKamikaze Wrote:EXACTLY:
Why is it critical that we use 316 stainless for the anode/cathodes? I knew that it had less resistance and the properties make it last longer, but is that it? I know people out there using 304 stainless and it's fine...? I thought we could use 304 as well, or am I wrong?
07-19-2008 01:19 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

That's what I'm doing too. I've got 304 stainless for a basic test, and later, if I decide to upgrade to 316 for any reason, I'll know how to do it and make sure I didn't waste my money the first time.

Ex. I'm rolling 304 ss sheets to get a coil (Mr. G) design, nut now I learned that I can buy coiled ss sheets of a much thinner gauge for cheap. I ordered 304 to test these sheets out, and if they work as planned, I'm upgrading to 316 for my future cell designs. Big Grin

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-19-2008 01:57 PM
stevekos7 Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:That's what I'm doing too. I've got 304 stainless for a basic test, and later, if I decide to upgrade to 316 for any reason, I'll know how to do it and make sure I didn't waste my money the first time.

Ex. I'm rolling 304 ss sheets to get a coil (Mr. G) design, nut now I learned that I can buy coiled ss sheets of a much thinner gauge for cheap. I ordered 304 to test these sheets out, and if they work as planned, I'm upgrading to 316 for my future cell designs. Big Grin

I am using 304 at the moment. I have used the same plates to build 3 cells now. I have just assembled my latest one and the plates were pretty good. I have sanded them back to a bright finish again, but they should last a good few months to give me a chance to test them well. The electrolyte does colour up a bit, even with NaOH but not too bad.

316 ss here in Australia is VERY expensive. It will cost me over $150 to get the plates done when I go to 316ss (material and cutting - 12 plates 200mm x 65mm). And 316L is only available in very thick sheet (2mm). Cost me $70 for 304. I could build 2 complete gens in 304 for the cost of 316 plates alone.

Our $ is about par with $US at the moment, but doesn't buy as much when I read prices for things on this forum. eg. SS cover plates here are about $15 each! Wrong profile as well, they are too deep. The lip is 90 deg and about 10mm. I think they are only 302ss anyway.
07-19-2008 04:29 PM