Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the best way to save on fuel?
Fillerup Offline

Exclamation What is the best way to save on fuel?
Learn how to save at least 50% at the pump Laugh
01-08-2010 02:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bradedvin Offline

RE: What is the best way to save on fuel?
Brake the right way
A car consumes most gas as it accelerates. It's a simply law of physics (force equals mass times acceleration). A moving car doesn't require much gasoline to keep moving (due to the inherent inertia). In real life this means, in order to improve your mileage you need to keep the ride smooth.

Turn off your air condition
This tip might be somewhat impractical in some areas. I would never dare to switch off the air condition of my car in Arizona in the Summer. However I also know that the compressor for the air conditioner loads the motor of my car more, which will reduce my fuel economy. I try not to use the air conditioner if I don't have to. Park your car in the shade if you can, so you won't have to keep the AC working as hard when you go somewhere.

Reduce weight
Coming back to the force equals mass times acceleration. We already established that one shouldn't accelerate as much. You can also try to reduce the mass of your car by emptying out the trunk and removing heavy items that you don't need (keep your spare tire and car lift, but get rid of the gardening equipment).

Turn your car off
When you turn on a car, it uses a bit of gas. When the car is idling, it uses a fixed amount of gas over a period of time (especially with the AC on). In most scenarios (depending on the car), the energy balance will be positive if you turn off your car for more then 20 seconds.

memory stick
04-06-2010 01:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply