Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What kind of gas...survey?
jksav7 Offline

What kind of gas...survey?
I think there might be some inherant problems to running gasoline that has had ethynol added to it. I recently read a post where Bob Boyce was doing a road trip, and as he went from state-to-state he had to fill up at various places. One time he bought oxygenated (ethynal) gas, and it dropped his mileage drastically. If I recall, it dropped it to the point where there wasn't really any noticeable gain.

So, for all of you that are testing these generators on your vehicle(s), I'd like to know whether you run pure gasoline or the gasoline/ethynal mixture. If you state where you live that would be helpful too.

I live in Minnesota, and the gas here is at least a 10% ethynol mixture. I hate it!!! I also haven't experienced any fuel economy increases with my generators on two different vehicles. I have an EFIE-type device (Jay-car product) on one but not the other one.
04-30-2008 03:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: What kind of gas...survey?
... and 10% ethanol gas is cheaper. Hmm

Stick your numbers in this calculator, using 10% for E85 and calculate your cost per mile.

FWIW, I run 85% ethanol and love it.

You better get used to ethanol, that's going to be the majority of your fuel in a few years. 20% is already mandated for MN in 2013, if it isn't already higher.

FWIW #2, you'd probably get the same mileage, maybe better, with 20-30% ethanol. Blush

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-30-2008 02:48 PM
jksav7 Offline

"ethynal"

I wish I could actually spell.Hmm
04-30-2008 03:29 PM
jksav7 Offline

I haven't heard one person yet tell me that they get better fuel economy off of a blend mixture verses straight gasoline. The purpose of this thread is to compare experiences and successes/failures using the gasoline as the main variable in order to perhaps determine if the gasoline used is a problem.

colchiro Wrote:... and 10% ethanol gas is cheaper. Hmm

Stick your numbers in this calculator, using 10% for E85 and calculate your cost per mile.

You better get used to ethanol, that's going to be the majority of your fuel in a few years. 20% is already mandated for MN in 2013, if it isn't already higher.

FWIW #2, you'd probably get the same mileage, maybe better, with 20-30% ethanol. Blush
04-30-2008 03:39 PM
AlexR Offline

I'll add in my experience here also.

I have a 1990 VW Jetta with over 210,000 miles on it. Gas engine, manual tranny. The vehicle has been in the family since new and has always gotten 29-30 mpg. Then came along the 10% ethanol mix and the mileage dropped 10-15% percent. Even a mechanic at the local dealership has had the same experience.

Alex

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
05-03-2008 06:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ptours99 Offline

colchiro Wrote:... and 10% ethanol gas is cheaper. Hmm

that fuel is crap period. don't know how your doing it but it retards fuel mileage.i think it's 30%less energy compared to reg fuel.is your car a flex fuel?

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
05-14-2008 04:29 PM
S10 Hybrid Offline

jksav7 Wrote:I think there might be some inherant problems to running gasoline that has had ethynol added to it. I recently read a post where Bob Boyce was doing a road trip, and as he went from state-to-state he had to fill up at various places. One time he bought oxygenated (ethynal) gas, and it dropped his mileage drastically. If I recall, it dropped it to the point where there wasn't really any noticeable gain.

So, for all of you that are testing these generators on your vehicle(s), I'd like to know whether you run pure gasoline or the gasoline/ethynal mixture. If you state where you live that would be helpful too.

I live in Minnesota, and the gas here is at least a 10% ethynol mixture. I hate it!!! I also haven't experienced any fuel economy increases with my generators on two different vehicles. I have an EFIE-type device (Jay-car product) on one but not the other one.

jksav7, I am here in MN too. Yesterday regular was $3.71 for 9/10 of a gallon around the corner. I hate ethanol. When my truck ran 100% gas, it ran well and gave me almost 15% better MPG. I had a drastic drop. Performance was down about the same too with ethanol.

Anyone I have ever discussed ethanol with was either an investor in that junk or hated it due to these problems. Guys that race for show hate it too.

Just a thought, could you be making too much gas? I had an experience that if I made tons of gas my MPG would go down when I first installed my HHO system with no EFIE but power went way up. This happened to me running 19 to 25 amps. I lowered the amps to 10 amps with a hot cell and my MPG went up 15% to 20% with no EFIE. Thats when I realized after 2 weeks of experimentation that to optimize the HHO system for better MPG not just zero emissions & better engine performance, I needed an EFIE.

Now I run the cell at 10 amps and clear vinegar as electrolyte, this seems to give me the best HHO boost for the buck. Nice low temps. There seemed to be a curb for the gas injected related to power, MPG and O2 detection.

I hear most people do not get gains with HHO alone. Sometimes a drastic drop in MPG. I am thinking, are they just making too much gas for just a boost?

eddie b.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2008 02:59 AM by S10 Hybrid.)
05-15-2008 02:48 AM
jksav7 Offline

Good points, Eddie. I haven't experiment with low amps as of yet. It's very interesting to hear about your experience. Thanks for sharing it.
05-16-2008 02:48 AM
Atfab Offline

I believe that 10% ethanol is mandated in all 50 states by the greedy idiots in D.C. Not to save gas, (which it does not). Not to save the enviroment (which it does not). But, to keep their big oil friends happy and rich(which it does). Not to mention Big Farming (which it does) and pad their own retirement (which it does).

But to get back on topic, I believe that S-10 is correct about too much of a good thing. this idea has started to pop up in many forums. The theory is that many of the needed mods to make HHO work well can only go so far and if you supply too much HHO, you excede what the engine can handle, ie: too rich.

Perhaps those of you that have installed systems that are not making much gain, could try backing DOWN the electrolite mix and trying again.

Maybe those junk dealers on FleaBay actually are doing us a favor with their 2 rod, 3 amp mason jars.

Atfab

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
05-20-2008 08:01 AM
S10 Hybrid Offline

Atfab Wrote:I believe that 10% ethanol is mandated in all 50 states by the greedy idiots in D.C. Not to save gas, (which it does not). Not to save the enviroment (which it does not). But, to keep their big oil friends happy and rich(which it does). Not to mention Big Farming (which it does) and pad their own retirement (which it does).

But to get back on topic, I believe that S-10 is correct about too much of a good thing. this idea has started to pop up in many forums. The theory is that many of the needed mods to make HHO work well can only go so far and if you supply too much HHO, you excede what the engine can handle, ie: too rich.

Perhaps those of you that have installed systems that are not making much gain, could try backing DOWN the electrolite mix and trying again.

Maybe those junk dealers on FleaBay actually are doing us a favor with their 2 rod, 3 amp mason jars.

Atfab

Amen...

The HHO and MPG deal I found by simple tinkering was not a surprise to me. Lots of modern computer emissions junk in this old Chevy truck. They packed junk in like a flea market under the hood. It would do good with 10 amps & 7/8 of a liter per minute injected but if I cranked it up to 20 - 30 amps, 2+ liter per minute the MPG would sink like the economy is doing right now. I think that anyone not getting at least a slight improvement with HHO alone should try to look in to this..

Honestly... Can't hurt.

eddie b.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2008 01:12 PM by S10 Hybrid.)
05-20-2008 01:10 PM