Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What to buy?!!
brad_h Offline

What to buy?!!
Hi Mike,

So glad I found your forum here. I've been trying to find some kind of forum for HHO, EFIE explorations, etc...., and well, this seems to be the only one on the net! Keep up the good work! On with my question (I'm new to this whole hydrogen thing, so bear with me): I just bought a HHO generator off eBay. The guy I bought it from stresses in his ad to buy 2 other products along with his system. He points to another company called Protium Fuel Systems. They make a 'Gas Optimizer' and a 'Oxyisolator.' (I won't link to their website because I'm not sure that's allowed) Anyway, It seems to me that their 'Gas Optimizer' is just an EFIE. And the other product seems like a waste. If I just buy your EFIE, I don't need this other crap, right? Basically, I'd just like a recommendation as far as whats needed to get the best results from an HHO Generator. That's all I would need, is an HHO Generator and an EFIE, right? Also, with just the HHO generator and an EFIE set properly, the check engine light won't be on all the time, right? One more thing, how long does it usually take for you to ship to California? Thanks Mike!
01-14-2008 12:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: What to buy?!!
Hi Brad,

Let me start by telling you what I know about:

The short answer to your question is definitely "Yes". If you buy an HHO device (hydrogen/oxygen electrolyzer), then all you need to go with it is an EFIE. It doesn't matter what kind of HHO device it is. They all produce HHO. The EFIE adjusts the oxygen sensor signal so that it (the sensor) and the computer don't misread the additional oxygen in your exhaust and then promptly dump more fuel in to compensate. I'm assuming you've read the EFIE stuff on my Documents page. If not, the theory of how these work is covered more completely there.

Regarding the check engine light: Yes the EFIE, set somewhere near correctly, will definitely keep the check engine light (CEL) off. When the CEL comes on, you know something is grossly wrong. You're not only not getting better gas mileage, but are probably getting worse mileage when the CEL is on. With an EFIE you can not only get the CEL to go away, you can fine tune much better than that, to get the best mpg that your engine/HHO combination can produce.

The Oxyisolator: This seems like a step in the right direction, but is bound to be less workable than an EFIE. It's trying to do the same thing, and I guess by moving the sensor out of the exhaust stream, it senses less oxygen in the exhaust. My main problem with this unit is that it's not adjustable, and therefore can't be tuned as needed to go with your particular engine/fuel-saver combination. It therefore may over or under adjust, leaving the computer to compensate incorrectly which means less mpg. You also can't turn them off, if you need to shut down the HHO for any reason. I wouldn't recommend this item over an EFIE, but then, I'm prejudiced. Big Grin On the other hand, it's probably better than nothing.

The Fuel Optimizer: I don't know what to say about this. It could be quite workable. It would however be a separate device from the HHO and the EFIE or Oxyisolator (depending on which you used). Off hand I would say that if you used this device with an HHO and EFIE device, you could fine tune your engine settings further, and thus get better mileage. But I don't know, I've never used one. I believe, from what I'm reading on their web site, that you could use one by itself to some benefit, AND you could use one with an HHO and EFIE to some benefit as well. But for sure the HHO and the EFIE by itself will work, and save you fuel costs. My impression is that this device would be great for the advanced tinkerer, or perhaps for the obsessive tinkerer.

My comments on these devices has to be taken with a large grain of salt. I've never used them. Someone who's had experience with them as well as with a conventional EFIE device would be better prepared to give a proper review on those devices. What I know about is EFIEs and I know that an EFIE will work with your HHO device.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2008 02:45 AM by mike.)
01-14-2008 02:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brad_h Offline

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. Very well explained. I think you jut answered all my questions about this. Sorry to sound like an idiot, but pretty much everywhere I went for information says something else. Most sellers of HHO devices don't even mention the need for an EFIE, and from what I knew about oxygen sensors this never made sense to me. It was only by chance that I discovered what an 'EFIE' was, which finally sold me on installing an HHO device in the first place! Very frustrating. Anyway, I think I'm off to your store to purchase your EFIE! Once I get everything installed, I'm sure I'll be in touch. Smile
01-14-2008 09:36 AM
mike Offline

Ok, Brad, Great. I'm glad we could be of service.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
01-14-2008 07:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skiers4ever Offline

Hi All,

Has anyone used a device called a Protium Power Conditioner on their HHO system? I believe it's suppose to eliminate the need of an electolyzer so one can just use distilled or rain water without putting baking soda, vinegar, KOH etc. in it at all. It costs around $180. If it does work, is it worth the cost? I've heard baking soda and KOH can damage an engine (and the HHO unit itself)...is that true? If so, than this device would be worth it if, in fact, it does work?

Thanks!
John

2007 Honda Ridgeline 3.5L 4WD
Hydro Super 2 installed on 5/21/08
Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
05-23-2008 12:14 PM