Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Whats happening ??
bsmart Offline

Question Whats happening ??
My test vehicle responds to the H2 gas in such a way that after its 'tasted' it for a while, it wants to cut back the idle speed to the point it almost dies. It also doesn't run quite as smooth coasting down when off the throttle. Mad

I suspect its leaning out so much the idle stumbles. ??? What are your thoughts??Sad

I believe I have found a temporary remedy to this. I can switch the generator 'off' for a couple of start and stop cycles, then turn it back on, and the problem goes away for about a week or so. Then the condition repeats itself. Kinda crazy. What's happening???Sad

The other thing that seems to eliminate this problem is adding a small amount of Acetone to the gas tank. Rough idle goes away until the next fill-up. Well it did for a while, but now it seems to be temporarily fixed, then returns after a few days.Gasp

The other thing I've noticed..........when H2 is going into the system, the vehicle tends to 'ping', pre-ignition, under heavy load conditions, where it wouldn't otherwise. This condition is 'cured' by adding the acetone. Big Grin
Any ideas ??
08-07-2009 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Whats happening ??
Are you connected to the engine vacuum or the air cleaner housing?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-07-2009 05:06 PM
bsmart Offline

I'm routing my H2 gas to the air filter box inlet. No connections to the vacuum system.
08-09-2009 01:41 PM
colchiro Offline

I assumed it was a problem d/t using engine vacuum. Since it isn't I'm not going to be much help.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-09-2009 03:41 PM
bsmart Offline

OK, thanks anyway.............maybe someone else will chime in on this.

It certainly has me stumped !!

My suspicion is .......I've reached the limit of the ECU's ability to adapt to the AFR its 'seeing'. If that's the case, my pursuit of better fuel mileage has come to a disappointing end.
08-10-2009 09:12 AM
colchiro Offline

I wonder if the best thing might be to make absolutely sure that your vehicle runs without problems w/o hho for a week or so.

You might also post some specs like your cell's output and then number of amps it draws.

Also could use some vehicle details, year, model, engine size, number of miles on your o2's.

Rick

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2009 01:20 PM by colchiro.)
08-10-2009 01:19 PM
bsmart Offline

(08-10-2009 01:19 PM)colchiro Wrote:  I wonder if the best thing might be to make absolutely sure that your vehicle runs without problems w/o hho for a week or so.

You might also post some specs like your cell's output and then number of amps it draws.

Also could use some vehicle details, year, model, engine size, number of miles on your o2's.

Oh sure, no problem....good questions.....its a 2001 Isuzu Trooper 3.5L 6 cyl. gas engine with about 96,000 miles on it. I replaced the O2 sensors about a month or so back, so they are in good shape. I have 2 electrolyzers operating in parallel at this time, and the combination is drawing about 7.5 amps at 13.5 VDC. The Troooper is a great running vehicle and I've recently tested it several times with and without H2 addition. It runs fine w/o H2.......no idle problems, no rpm stumble while coasting, nothing.

Its always been a 'strong' feeling engine since day one. Back when it had around 18K miles on it, it would get 21 mpg when cruising the interstate at 70 mph. It typically gets 15 - 16 mpg in town driving and about 19 mpg on the highway. It's always performed really well, and mpg's have been better than average for this vehicle, from what I've read and heard from others. I also have a 1999 Trooper, and it's a nice vehicle, but the 2001 is 'head and shoulders' above it in performance.

The 2001 really runs great, gets pretty good mpg's and is a fun-to-drive SUV. So........as far as its performance w/o H2 addition, its fine.

My goal with H2 addition was to get a 25% mpg improvement in city and highway mileage. So, I'm shooting for about 19 mpg in town and about 25 mpg highway. I'm getting close to my in-town mpg target, but I've not seen much improvement in the highway mpgs yet. I may however be at the end of my quest based on the rough idle issues. I've installed a switch on the center console so I can turn the electrolyzer on and off easily if needed. This is my answer to the rough idle issue right now. I pull up to a stoplight, and if the idle gets rough, I turn the electrolyzer off for a few minutes and everything smooths out. When that happens and everything gets stabilized, I switch it back on and let her remain in service (usually a couple of days) until the rough idle returns. Then I repeat the process. It's not much of an inconvenience to gain a few mpg's in my opinion. But, if someone has an idea of whats going on here, and how to fix it, I'm all ears.

And there's the issue of not seeing the desired highway mileage mpg improvement I want. I'm still trying to make progress on that. It may take several generators (electrolyzers) operating in parallel to get there. Problem is, I'm out of space under the hood to install them.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2009 09:29 AM by bsmart.)
08-11-2009 09:43 AM
bsmart Offline

UPDATE 9/11/09
As suggested I removed ALL H2 equipment from the vehicle and continued to drive it. After several days it began to exhibit the same symptoms described earlier. Poor idle, etc.
OK, its not a H2 problem after all........maybe.
I continued to drive the vehicle and the problem continued, and increased in severity. I finally decided to do 2 things. Replace the EGR valve and the spark plugs. The spark plugs went first. They had been in service about 60K miles. They looked OK when I pulled them out, but the gap had widened to about .60 or so. With the new plugs installed it ran much better, I thought the problem was corrected. Not the case. It came back again after a few days driving. Soooo......I pulled the EGR and replaced it. Continuing to drive the vehicle and the problem seems to be corrected. I'm gonna wait a while longer, then if things stay 'normal', I'll re-install H2 setup and see what happens !!
09-11-2009 09:37 AM