Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where to get PWM and is it worth it???
HHOe Offline

Question Where to get PWM and is it worth it???
I'd like to know if anyone who uses a pwm would reccomend using it to someone who doesn't and where to get them.

2001 Chevy S-10 2.2 5 speed
22-23 before
27-33 after
06-26-2008 09:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: Where to get PWM and is it worth it???
http://www.electronic-light.com/advan.html

HHOe Wrote:I'd like to know if anyone who uses a pwm would reccomend using it to someone who doesn't and where to get them.
06-26-2008 11:25 AM
qsiguy Offline

That looks like a nice kit. There are many around and dozens on e-bay. I consider a PWM a bandaid for an inefficient generator. Some try to claim you can get increased production with a PWM and that is nonsense. All they do is allow you to manually adjust the current going through your generator. Most of the time they are used when an inefficient generator has problems with amp runaway which is when the amps skyrocket when the unit heats up.

I say first make a good, efficient sealed series cell generator. Get it dialed in properly with the correct electrolyte solution. IF you need small adjustments a PWM is one option.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
06-26-2008 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HHOe Offline

qsiguy Wrote:That looks like a nice kit. There are many around and dozens on e-bay. I consider a PWM a bandaid for an inefficient generator. Some try to claim you can get increased production with a PWM and that is nonsense. All they do is allow you to manually adjust the current going through your generator. Most of the time they are used when an inefficient generator has problems with amp runaway which is when the amps skyrocket when the unit heats up.

I say first make a good, efficient sealed series cell generator. Get it dialed in properly with the correct electrolyte solution. IF you need small adjustments a PWM is one option.

thank you

2001 Chevy S-10 2.2 5 speed
22-23 before
27-33 after
06-28-2008 05:31 AM
CitatioN10 Offline

I would get a PWM from PWMPOWER.COM , I have 3 of them
07-03-2008 06:46 PM
qsiguy Offline

Hmm $189 or $20 for basically the same thing, as far as what we need it for. Simple choice for me. That $189 unit is way overkill to merely control a runaway generator...but that's just my opinion.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
07-07-2008 10:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply