Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which method works better, plates or round?
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

Which method works better, plates or round?
Hello! I'm seeing that a popular way to build the anodes for HHO gens. is to make them in a plate formation. However, I have seen a few setups where people just get two long plates or so of ss and roll them together. I have not been able to find any information on these really other than on a website that I found, http://www.diyhydrogenhho.com . I'm currently modeling my anode design off of that one, by using 6"x12" 304 stainless 18ga sheets instead of 4"x12" 16ga.

Does anybody have their setup similar to this? If so, what are your outcomes usually, and which design, plate or round, does everyone think would produce more HHO faster with the same variables (Amps, volts, electrolyte, etc.)?

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2008 07:44 PM by colchiro.)
07-08-2008 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Which method works better, plates or round?
I fixed your link.

Looks a lot like Mr. G's cells.

[Image: MrG3-26-0812.jpg]

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-08-2008 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RDKamikaze Offline

yeah, that's the basic idea that I'm trying to obtain. My main obstacle right now is how do I roll these plates? It's 6" 18ag stainless, rawr! Ideas there would help, too! Big Grin

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-08-2008 07:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nitebot Offline

Hello i am new here, but i have had a similar ideas as you RDK.So i hope this helps.In my research i came acrossed this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEds4sqwttQ
I'll save you the time reading thru all the posts.
Super G-cell is constructed of .004" grade 304 stainless steel separated by a fine polycarbinate mesh, then coiled up.

Check out all the videos pretty cool stuff.

I was going to use Shim stock coil. I found a site that sells it.
http://www.maudlinproducts.com/products/...02_304.xml

Anyhows hope this helps out some.
good luck let me know how it turns out i'll do the same when i build mine Smile .
07-08-2008 10:14 PM
Sidco7 Offline

I beleive its all in the square inches of surface material. Be it flat plates or rolled plates. The total square inches of the anodes and cathodes determine the HHO production. Simple calculations can determine which design has more surface area. Also the gap between them plays a very large role as well. Too large a gap will take more power to crack the water, too small a gap will either short out, or will impede bubble flow with very little water inbetween, less output.
Cheers
07-08-2008 10:48 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

Hey nitebot, thanks for the link to his youtube threads. I wasn't searching for the right thing aparently :P . And what does the ss coil look like, I don't understand?

Sidco - That's what I was thinking as well, but it just seems that pretty much everyone is doing the plates. I was just wondering if there's some special nitche about them that I didn't know about.

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-08-2008 10:51 PM
Nitebot Offline

The SS Coil or shimstock is a flat roll of ss..ss shimstock on the site i posted is 6" wide and 50 to 100" long, thickness depending on what you need..Its pretty bendible too so rolling isnt to tuff from what ive found.Think rolled up metal i guess.

What Sidco said about the surface area is true. Example the guy in the vid claims about 10 lpm of hho production..He's surface area is 48"x4.75"x4 sides = 912 sq in or 6.33 sq.ft. But the guy has said it gets hot. But anyhows i think alot of people do the the plates because its cost effetive to be honest...I know the plates metod use alot of neutrals while i havent seen that used on a rolled up cell.
Probally easier to deal with the amps and heat i would guess.
07-09-2008 01:13 AM
RDKamikaze Offline

Thanks for the info! Please be sure to post pocs if you do the coil method nitebot, I would love to see that!

One more question just came to me this morning. With the plates being close together, if there is no solution between them (as in water level doesn't reach the top of the anode), will there be arcing? Someone please explain that to me, because I'm not exactly sure how arcing works yet. Thansk a ton!

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-09-2008 08:47 AM
colchiro Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:yeah, that's the basic idea that I'm trying to obtain. My main obstacle right now is how do I roll these plates? It's 6" 18ag stainless, rawr! Ideas there would help, too! Big Grin

Here's some info on various cell designs and mr. g. has a couple posts there. You should be able to find all the posts he originated and I'm sure he has discussed it a lot (search for Mr. G cell maybe).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-09-2008 04:16 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

Hey thanks a ton for that information, I'll do some more research on how he did it tomorrow! As of tonight, I'm off!

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-09-2008 11:32 PM