Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which one makes hydrogen
Hydro-Cell UK Offline

Which one makes hydrogen
Hi all

I am trying to clear this up in my own mind as i have found different information on the good old net. Which one makes the hydrogen a possitive prob or negitive prob i am sure it is the negitiveCrazy Please help!
01-11-2010 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Paulusgnome Offline

RE: Which one makes hydrogen
(01-11-2010 12:53 PM)Hydro-Cell UK Wrote:  Hi all

I am trying to clear this up in my own mind as i have found different information on the good old net. Which one makes the hydrogen a possitive prob or negitive prob i am sure it is the negitiveCrazy Please help!

When the water splits into ions, as it does when you dissolve the electrolyte in it, it splits into a H+ ion (positive charge) and an OH- ion (negative charge). Positive ions will be drawn to the negative electrode, and vice versa. So the H+ ions will go to the negative electrode, where the electrolysis will neutralise the charges and release H2 molecules.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2010 07:06 PM by Paulusgnome.)
01-11-2010 07:05 PM
benny Offline

Both probes are required to separate H2 and O2 molecules from water. The actual splitting is caused by electrons passing through the liquid which disrupts the bonding of the two types of molecule in the liquid. Actual separation of the two is much as as Paulusgnome describes. Hydrogen with a net positive charge is attracted to the negative probe, O2 with a net negative charge to the positive probe.

To answer your question, in electrolysis, both probes play an active part in both hydrogen and oxygen production. Polarisation of the probes aids in separation of the two gases.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Probes can be any shape. Plate, rod, etc, etc.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2010 02:08 AM by benny.)
01-13-2010 02:04 AM
Greencell Offline

Pardon my ignorance but just clear things up. Is it better to have more negative electrodes in the cell than positive?
01-16-2010 12:20 PM
benny Offline

(01-16-2010 12:20 PM)Greencell Wrote:  Pardon my ignorance but just clear things up. Is it better to have more negative electrodes in the cell than positive?

That's a matter of some conjecture. Some would say definitely yes, others that it makes little overall difference. Case of suck-and-see what works best for you.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2010 12:37 PM by benny.)
01-16-2010 12:35 PM
Greencell Offline

(01-16-2010 12:35 PM)benny Wrote:  
(01-16-2010 12:20 PM)Greencell Wrote:  Pardon my ignorance but just clear things up. Is it better to have more negative electrodes in the cell than positive?

That's a matter of some conjecture. Some would say definitely yes, others that it makes little overall difference. Case of suck-and-see what works best for you.

Thanks Benny
01-18-2010 01:03 PM
laicyer Offline

you can connect me with laicyer@gmail.com,chinese will be fer
06-07-2010 06:02 PM