Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which one to adjust? IAT? MAP/MAF? or O2? all the above?
firefly Offline

Which one to adjust? IAT? MAP/MAF? or O2? all the above?
OK, so far, I've installed my Hydro Super 2 and drove 300 miles. At first the fuel needle moved just a hair after driving 60-70 miles, but then seemed to move as normal speed. After driving 300 miles, I calculated my MPG's and the HHO unit had produced 0 MPG gain. FYI, I'm trying to use a few hypermiling tricks, such as driving slower, keeping a constant TPS reading on the scangauge, taking off slower than my grandma, coasting to stop signs, and my rated vehicle MPG is 25 highway and after the driving tricks my scangauge reported an average of 27-28 MPG. After running the HHO unit my MPG average was 29 MPG, which could be just a variation on the driving tricks resulting in the 29MPG which made me think the HHO unit did nothing.
Or did the ECU detect the extra oxygen during the first 60-70 miles and then start dumping more fuel in? Anyway, I then put on a 02 extender and reset the ECU, drove 50-60 miles, and calculated my MPG, it was now 24MPG. So the 02 extender produced negative results it would appear.

So here is my question...Which sensor would you recommend modding first? If you change the IAT reading this can affect the Air/Fuel mixture, or changing the MAP/MAF reading can affect the Air/Fuel mixture, or changing the 02 sensor reading can affect the Air/Fuel mixture. So which one do we do first to get the biggest MPG gain without going too lean? How does the ECU know which sensor to listen too first and which sensor to use? Will adjusting the o2 sensor be enough, or will you have to adjust the IAT as well or all three of these sensors at the same time? Will the ECU ignore changes made to the IAT or MAP/MAF or o2 sensor in favor of listening to the other sensors? Sorry, for asking so many newbie questions, but I'm just trying to decide on which sensor to adjust first in order to see gains from running my HHO unit. I see units to adjust both the IAT and MAP/MAF and was wondering if you could adjust these 2 sensors and not adjust the o2 sensor and see MPG gain with the HHO unit? Or is adjusting the o2 sensor alone enough to see MPG gain without having to deal with the other sensors? Any advice?
06-19-2008 01:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jimmmmy1958 Offline

RE: Which one to adjust? IAT? MAP/MAF? or O2? all the above?
firefly Wrote:OK, so far, I've installed my Hydro Super 2 and drove 300 miles. At first the fuel needle moved just a hair after driving 60-70 miles, but then seemed to move as normal speed. After driving 300 miles, I calculated my MPG's and the HHO unit had produced 0 MPG gain. FYI, I'm trying to use a few hypermiling tricks, such as driving slower, keeping a constant TPS reading on the scangauge, taking off slower than my grandma, coasting to stop signs, and my rated vehicle MPG is 25 highway and after the driving tricks my scangauge reported an average of 27-28 MPG. After running the HHO unit my MPG average was 29 MPG, which could be just a variation on the driving tricks resulting in the 29MPG which made me think the HHO unit did nothing.
Or did the ECU detect the extra oxygen during the first 60-70 miles and then start dumping more fuel in? Anyway, I then put on a 02 extender and reset the ECU, drove 50-60 miles, and calculated my MPG, it was now 24MPG. So the 02 extender produced negative results it would appear.

So here is my question...Which sensor would you recommend modding first? If you change the IAT reading this can affect the Air/Fuel mixture, or changing the MAP/MAF reading can affect the Air/Fuel mixture, or changing the 02 sensor reading can affect the Air/Fuel mixture. So which one do we do first to get the biggest MPG gain without going too lean? How does the ECU know which sensor to listen too first and which sensor to use? Will adjusting the o2 sensor be enough, or will you have to adjust the IAT as well or all three of these sensors at the same time? Will the ECU ignore changes made to the IAT or MAP/MAF or o2 sensor in favor of listening to the other sensors? Sorry, for asking so many newbie questions, but I'm just trying to decide on which sensor to adjust first in order to see gains from running my HHO unit. I see units to adjust both the IAT and MAP/MAF and was wondering if you could adjust these 2 sensors and not adjust the o2 sensor and see MPG gain with the HHO unit? Or is adjusting the o2 sensor alone enough to see MPG gain without having to deal with the other sensors? Any advice?
I too have the super2 unit and also,see no gains. My cel light keeps coming on,even with the effie. I have grave concerns over tweaking these various sensors that lean out the mix. What do you think would happen when the map sensor is tricked into a lean mixture and reduces the trans speed because of load fooling and you are cruising at 70mph? I dont here any reports on this website about real success with tweaking sensors over any length of time. Its all cool to suggest all these mods,when it's not their vehicle to wreck! Hate to sound negative,but where is the proof? JP
06-23-2008 07:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply