Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do i need a MAP enhancer?
77 chevy k30 Offline

Why do i need a MAP enhancer?
I have a 1989 suburban with a TBI 350ci engine. I installed a passive water/methanol bubbler between the pcv valve and the TBI base plate. I also installed the EFIE controller. I was told i needed a MAP enhancer to add to this set up, can anyone tell me why i need it and where to get a cheap one thats siimlar in looks small and neat like the single EFIE deluxe sold here.

I have seen single and dual MAP enhancers. which one do i need. They come with city and highway settings and other features.

Any comments and feedback is appreciated.

PS i have a one, single wire O2 sensor.
01-10-2009 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Why do i need a MAP enhancer?
The more sensors you mod, the more the ecu thinks it's ok to go a bit leaner. The idea is to make small changes to several sensors so to not affect driveability or cause other issues. See my Tuning for Mileage link. For most vehicles, altering the output of a MAF/MAP sensor is as simple as adding a variable resistor (aka a pot or potentiometer), less than $5.

Since you have an efie, you should only need a single MAP since you still want to use your efie for the main control, and just set the MAP to a low setting, like about 10%. If you weren't able to install an efie, then the dual city/highway feature would be more applicable since you'd want a lower setting for city to keep from getting a CEL (check engine light).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-10-2009 08:29 AM
thomasbala Offline

(01-10-2009 08:19 AM)77 chevy k30 Wrote:  I have a 1989 suburban with a TBI 350ci engine. I installed a passive water/methanol bubbler between the pcv valve and the TBI base plate. I also installed the EFIE controller. I was told i needed a MAP enhancer to add to this set up, can anyone tell me why i need it and where to get a cheap one thats siimlar in looks small and neat like the single EFIE deluxe sold here.

I have seen single and dual MAP enhancers. which one do i need. They come with city and highway settings and other features.

Any comments and feedback is appreciated.

PS i have a one, single wire O2 sensor.
My experience with MAP/MAF enhancers and HHO is they don't work well enough to justify even a minimal cost. O2 sensors rule; they have the last word when it comes to what signal the ECU sends to the injectors [in your case the TBI]. MAP/MAF enhansors are attractive because they're cheap. There is no free lunch.
01-10-2009 08:33 AM
77 chevy k30 Offline

I only get a check engine light every so often when i get on the highway, never city driving. George Wiseman recommended i put one on, but you are saying that the reason for the MAP sensor enhancer is to just prevent a check engine light?

If i did get one where and how much should i pay?
01-10-2009 06:53 PM
77 chevy k30 Offline

Wideband or narrowband?
Should i be using a wideband or narrow band O2 sensor, and how do i know which one i have?

I have a 1989 suburban with a 1 wire O2 sensor. Occassionally i trip the Check engine light sometimes when i get on the freeway.
01-11-2009 07:11 AM
colchiro Offline

A one wire o2 is narrow band so you'd need a regular efie. If you have 2 of them before your cat converters, you'd need a double efie. See "what do I need to know about my oxygen sensor" in my documents link below. Also note there's a Store link at the top for pricing and info on Mike's efies. Mike owns this forum.

You need to have that code read so you know what it means. For all you know, it could be unrelated to anything you've done here.

How many miles on your o2's? They should be replaced around 70k miles or so.

You can build a resistor-type map/maf mod for about $20 with parts from Radio Shack, including a case, switch, pot, knob and wire so I wouldn't pay much more than that. There are some dealers here and some on fleeBay.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-11-2009 08:00 AM
77 chevy k30 Offline

I rather buy one done, because i really dont have alot of time to sit down and make one myself. Time is a precious commodity that im very deficient in, free time that is.
01-13-2009 04:28 AM
colchiro Offline

I suspect fleeBay has some. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

Rick

01-13-2009 02:24 PM
cmac0351 Offline

Ebay item # 160310618090 if you are still interested in one. These are the ones I make. I hope it is ok to mention on this forum.

(01-13-2009 04:28 AM)77 chevy k30 Wrote:  I rather buy one done, because i really dont have alot of time to sit down and make one myself. Time is a precious commodity that im very deficient in, free time that is.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2009 07:31 PM by colchiro.)
01-17-2009 06:54 PM
colchiro Offline

Nothing wrong with advertising stuff when asked. OTOH, you could also stick a link to your store or home page in your signature too.

Rick

01-17-2009 07:31 PM