Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do my MPGs decrease after a couple of days?
streamlineenergy Offline

Toungue Why do my MPGs decrease after a couple of days?
Can anyone tell me why this happens? When I first connected my three HHO cells and reset the computer by disconnecting and reconnecting the negitave lead on my battery I received a massive increase in MPGs. I had over 100 miles on the first 1/8th tank of gas the first day. The next day I went on another long drive and this time 100 miles brought my gas tank all the way down to just above a half tank. It used three times the ammount of gas it did on the first day the system was installed. The cells are not getting hot so it's not a steam issue. I do not have an EFIE installed but I do have O2 extenders on the pre cat sensors. Is it possible the computer in my car is confused by the huge increase in MPGs and somehow makes the car burn more gas? Or is it just a matter of needing to increase the voltage with an EFIE? Why would I get such a huge increase at first and then loose it? This make me wonder if the computer is actually set to offset a large increase in MPGs? Crazy If it was a leaning issue, it wouldn't work at first and then stop working would it?
10-24-2009 04:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Why do my MPGs decrease after a couple of days?
What you describe is very common for users without an efie.

It takes several days for the ECU to adjust after you reset it, and that's why your mileage changed with time. When you reset it, it starts with settings that should work for use with gas, but hho often confuses the o2 sensors and they go too rich, causing a drop in mileage as the ECU adjusts.

It's a well documented fact that the extenders do not work, (except for about 3 people who swear by them).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-24-2009 05:04 PM
streamlineenergy Offline

Thanks Rick, I will install an EFIE and remove the O2 extenders and see how that works. Will I need to install an EFIE on pre cat and post cat sensors or just on the pre cat sensors? I have an 06 Chrysler 300 and read that post cat EFIE might be required on newer Chrysler and Dodge vehicles. I was also wondering if it's possible to wire one EFIE to two O2 sensor outputs in parallel with each other or do I have to purchase an EFIE for each O2 sensor?
10-24-2009 05:48 PM
colchiro Offline

If you click my "documents" link, there's a sensor request form at the bottom. You can fill that out and ask what kind of O2's you have and what efie is the best for your. I suspect you'd probably need one of the quad efie's, which treats all 4 sensors and would be cheaper than separate efie's for front and rear, since many of the Chryslers use front and back o2's.

Paralleling two sensors won't work, and using just one to feed both ECU inputs is asking for trouble. They installed separate o2's for each bank for a reason, it's best to stay with Chrysler's design.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-25-2009 05:49 AM
DC-Hybrids.com Offline

you need an EFIE and it should solve your problem

http://www.dc-hybrids.com/Digital-EFIE-O.../defie.htm

David Gibson
www.dc-hybrids.com
1-888-813-2492
01-14-2010 02:47 PM