Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why not use E85?
colchiro Offline

Why not use E85?
I see people trying to lean out their mixture because they're using Brown's gas and in the e85 forum I'm seeing people trying to richen their mixture to keep from having a CEL.

Why not use both? In the midwest, e85 is usually about 50 cents cheaper than gas and is available all over the place. I would think the two would complement each other nicely.

Anyway, that's what we're discussing here.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-15-2008 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Why not use E85?
An interesting concept indeed.

I've not looked into E85 gas, but can you tell me, are other mods required to use it? Or is it just the oxygen sensor, and richening the mix? It's possibly an interesting solution for those with AFR sensors.

Have you tried disconnecting your E85 controller and running E85 with your unmodified sensors and ECU? Or am I missing something basic on this?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-15-2008 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Mike, I worked my way up to 60% ethanol (mixed E85 and E10 at the pump) with no problems. At 70% I started running into starting issues and at 81% I was getting CEL's at stop lights (too lean). Decided 60% was good for awhile until I installed a converter. Most people do the converter or bigger injectors. Some use s/w to re-tune their ECU.

Now we're checking into E85 with Browns and no conversion to see if that works.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2008 08:15 PM by colchiro.)
03-15-2008 08:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

Sounds like a promising line of research. Let us know if something comes of this.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-15-2008 08:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply