Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why the smell??!!
live45 Offline

Why the smell??!!
Since I have been using the new EFIE with hydrogen on my truck, I've noticed the old "Rotten Egg Smell!" I've read where it could be a bad cat. converter of course, water in the exhaust, high temp in the cat., and even hydrogen sulfide gas. Just looking for you guys take on this. Oh yea, already thought of the local mechanics, but what do you think he'll say about all this hydrogen gear. "THATS YOUR PROBLEM!" Gas mileage is still 18.5 to 19.7 even in the the colder weather.Confused
12-17-2008 07:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
autocraz Offline

RE: Why the smell??!!
I HAVE BEEN TURNING WRENCH,S FROM THE TIME I WAS KNEE HIGH TO A GRASSHOPPER.HAVE SEEN VERY FEW CATS.28 YEARS OR BETTER.
YOU HAVE SOMETHING WRONG,WITH YOUR FUEL SYSTEM.MOST TIMES IT IS YOUR MAP OR ON LATER CARS, YOUR MASS.IF YOU ARE SHURE THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM.!! YOUR PUKER IS BAD!!
SHORT OF BAD WIRES.
28 YEARS?
I AM FROM GOD'S LAND.SALT WATER.
SOUTH GA.
SEEN IT ALL.MAP OR MASS.
ROTTON EGGS MELT PISTONS!!
12-17-2008 07:39 PM
colchiro Offline

The sulfur smell you describe is from a catalytic converter before it warms up. Is it possible you're not driving your vehicle enough to warm it up and it's the cold weather that's to blame?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-17-2008 07:40 PM
autocraz Offline

autocraz Wrote:I HAVE BEEN TURNING WRENCH,S FROM THE TIME I WAS KNEE HIGH TO A GRASSHOPPER.HAVE SEEN VERY FEW CATS.28 YEARS OR BETTER.
YOU HAVE SOMETHING WRONG,WITH YOUR FUEL SYSTEM.MOST TIMES IT IS YOUR MAP OR ON LATER CARS, YOUR MASS.IF YOU ARE SHURE THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM.!! YOUR PUKER IS BAD!!
SHORT OF BAD WIRES.
28 YEARS?
I AM FROM GOD'S LAND.SALT WATER.
SOUTH GA.
SEEN IT ALL.MAP OR MASS.
ROTTON EGGS MELT PISTONS!!
MOST EVERYTHING AROUND HERE,HAS BEEN RUNNING UNDER WATER FOR YEARS
12-17-2008 07:42 PM
live45 Offline

Rick, drove about 25 minutes this afternoon. Noticed the smell again when I got home. Valves don't rattle, temp still at about 190 degrees, no check engine light, plenty of power. Go figure. Maybe just coincidence with HHO. Leaning towards bad cat converter. It sure isn't the smell of success.Tongue
12-17-2008 08:29 PM
colchiro Offline

Might have to break down and ask a mechanic. Sorry, I have no experience with cats, except I've smelled a few in my lifetime (but it's been a long time).

Turn off the hho and see if it goes away.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-17-2008 08:45 PM
daddymikey1975 Offline

live45 Wrote:Rick, drove about 25 minutes this afternoon. Noticed the smell again when I got home. Valves don't rattle, temp still at about 190 degrees, no check engine light, plenty of power. Go figure. Maybe just coincidence with HHO. Leaning towards bad cat converter. It sure isn't the smell of success.Tongue

what kinda truck do you have??

I've ran across the same smell before... I have no explanation for it, other than 'it's the catalytic converter' it did go away the same day or the day after... from what i remember it wasnt on old tired busted a$$ cars either... it could be any car.. I don't think it's a problem, however colchiro has good advice.... try to unhook your HHO and see if it goes away... or drive for a day or 2 and see...

i hope this helps
mike
12-18-2008 04:14 AM
live45 Offline

Maybe bad too worse or even the solution. Decided to check production of cell today and, Nothing. After a complete once over, I found a resevoir full of whipped cream!Mad All this time of playing with HHO, never had a foaming problem . Anyway, drained the tank and mixed another batch of secret sapoo. Back to good production and after running today, no rotten eggs. Scared me a little. Glad to see the foam had not made it to the bubbler. I'll just cross my fingers and see what happens.
12-18-2008 09:24 PM
mrbillr Offline

live45 Wrote:Maybe bad too worse or even the solution. Decided to check production of cell today and, Nothing. After a complete once over, I found a resevoir full of whipped cream!Mad All this time of playing with HHO, never had a foaming problem . Anyway, drained the tank and mixed another batch of secret sapoo. Back to good production and after running today, no rotten eggs. Scared me a little. Glad to see the foam had not made it to the bubbler. I'll just cross my fingers and see what happens.

The only time I have smelled that sulfur smell is when I was behind a car and they romp on it. I guess a super rich condition from the acceleration. That being the case, I would think your vehicle would be running rich and the mpg should have dropped.

My 2cents worth. Glad you found the problem.

MrBill
2008 f250 XLT 6.4 diesel 2x4 automatic extended cab
12-19-2008 09:54 AM
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

Just read your last post, good find with the problem.

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2008 02:58 PM by RDKamikaze.)
12-19-2008 02:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply