Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wide Band EFIE on Honda Civic
Darth Offline

Sad Wide Band EFIE on Honda Civic
We installed the new wide band EFIE on my son's Honda Civic and it has lowered the mileage from 27mpg to 22mpg. We are getting lots of hydrogen generation and turning up the EFIE did result in turning off the "check engine light" but no increase in fuel economy and at the last adjustment resulted in poor engine stabilization.

Help
04-13-2009 12:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Wide Band EFIE on Honda Civic
Do you have your efie turned down to a very low level (like 1/8 turn)? For the original version 1/4 turn was too high for most people.

What were the mpg results with hho, but no efie?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2009 12:27 PM by colchiro.)
04-13-2009 12:23 PM
mike Offline

I am also interested in the answers to colchiro's questions. But there is another point that has recently come up with Hondas. It seems that at least some models also use the downstream sensors to control the air/fuel ratio. This, as you may know if you've read the documents on our site, is not the usual behavior. But we have debugged some Hondas recently when we found in our mechanic's database service that Honda is doing this, and had people install narrow band EFIEs to their downstream sensors.

Please fill out a Sensor Request Form and in the space for additional information, be sure to say you want to check if the downstream sensors are used in air/fuel calculations. Those forms are submitted to support@fuelsaver-mpg.com, and you will get an answer quickly. The form makes you give all the data we need to look up your vehicle.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-13-2009 01:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darth Offline

(04-13-2009 12:23 PM)colchiro Wrote:  Do you have your efie turned down to a very low level (like 1/8 turn)? For the original version 1/4 turn was too high for most people.

What were the mpg results with hho, but no efie?

We started out with the EFIE turned down and have slowly been turning it up.

The hho by itself resulted in a loss of fuel economy frrom 27 to 23 also.
04-14-2009 10:41 AM
colchiro Offline

Ok, so 22 to 23 mpg, so no worse with the efie.

I think you need to recheck the hho portion....

What size engine, how many liter per minute, at how many amps?

Have you checked for leaks? You can brush soapy water on the connections and watch for bubbles.

What kind of cell(s) and how configured? (I'm concerned about the possibility that you have 12 volts across each set of plates, which reduces efficiency and often makes the cell boil).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-14-2009 12:20 PM
Alttech Offline

If you have an AFR upstream, you will definately need to install a regular EFIE on the downstream O2. You will also need a MAP adjust circuit.
I am interested to hear your responses to colchiro's questions also. The output of the cell is important.
04-14-2009 05:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darth Offline

(04-14-2009 05:17 PM)Alttech Wrote:  If you have an AFR upstream, you will definately need to install a regular EFIE on the downstream O2. You will also need a MAP adjust circuit.
I am interested to hear your responses to colchiro's questions also. The output of the cell is important.

This is a Tereo (sp) cell, producing about 3/4 liter per minute at 10 amps.
05-06-2009 02:21 PM
John Sargent Offline

(04-13-2009 01:24 PM)mike Wrote:  I am also interested in the answers to colchiro's questions. But there is another point that has recently come up with Hondas. It seems that at least some models also use the downstream sensors to control the air/fuel ratio. This, as you may know if you've read the documents on our site, is not the usual behavior. But we have debugged some Hondas recently when we found in our mechanic's database service that Honda is doing this, and had people install narrow band EFIEs to their downstream sensors.

Please fill out a Sensor Request Form and in the space for additional information, be sure to say you want to check if the downstream sensors are used in air/fuel calculations. Those forms are submitted to support@fuelsaver-mpg.com, and you will get an answer quickly. The form makes you give all the data we need to look up your vehicle.

Howdy,
Mike is right on here. It is not enough to put only the wideband AFR efie on the front; I had to put both wideband and narrowband efies on the front AFR sensor and the rear narrowband O2 sensor of my 2005 Honda Civic. The front one should be probably fairly low (maybe 1/4 turn, slightly more or less), and the rear one set to about .250 mv with a digital multimeter.
You should start getting some good results then. Hope this helps.
John Sargent
05-07-2009 06:17 AM