Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wideband showing too lean
jbalat Offline

Wideband showing too lean
Guys I attached a wideband sensor (PLX M300) and controller to my car to see if my MAF board is working
(I replaced my sensor, I have not connected the norrowband output to the ECU)

Good news is Yes it is working.. Bad news is that my stock afr is 17.4 at idle and 18.5 while driving. With the MAF board on the AFR goes to 20 and beyond..

Whether HHO is on or off makes no noticeable difference to the AFR gauge

I had done some mod to the altimeter sensor. The good news it that this easily adjusts the AFR anywhere you want (20+). The bad news is that even after I took this off the AFR dropped a little but still sitting above 18

So I deliberately put the car into safe mode, engine light on by disconnecting the MAF. The AFR then dropped to 15 which is good. But undriveable in safe mode.

So looks like something is wrong. Just trying to find some info on the wideband sensor to see if it may be a calibration problem, however the exhaust really smells and I get a light grey smoke.

Help ?
05-15-2010 06:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jbalat Offline

RE: Wideband showing too lean
Just an update

I connected up the narrowband output to the ecu and within a couple of minutes the afr came down to 14.7. It was like a magnet even on the highway readings would fluctuate between 14.7 and 15.5. ??

Disconnecting the O2 sensor again and things started going lean again back up to the mid 17's.. I have run without the o2 connected several times and fuel economy was always worse. I assume afr of 17.5 does not give any savings ?

With the O2 sensor connected, I turned on the HHO and readings went from 14.7 up to 16.??? This was observed at low rpm. While on the road afr was dropping back down to 15. At low rpm and idle it was back up to high 16's low 17's

Ok mike or others ? What afr are we aiming at for a good savings with hho ?
05-15-2010 11:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jbalat Offline

Hi jbalat, its me jbalat !!

Seriously though this is what I did tonight

* Turned off HHO
- Disconnected the o2 sensor wire to the ecu and AFR jumped to 17.5 - 18
- I reprogrammed my board to richen the mixture instead of lean!!
- I set the MAF to produce 15.3 AFR during cruise, this worked very well at 60km, 80, and 100 km/hr cruise. It drops to 13 during hard acceleration which is good and up to 16 at idle.

* Then I turned on the HHO
- What I observed was no noticeable change in the AFR at 80 and 100km/hr cruise.
- Pinging increased when trying to accelerate hard
- I adjusted the timing to reduce pinging.. There was a comprimise here, I decided to go with slightly less power but no pinging
- In general power was way up from before. The power was still there at 16 AFR but I decided to stay with 15.3 for now

Anyway.. If anyone has an update regarding the Best AFR for HHO please post as I am currently using 15.3
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2010 03:41 AM by jbalat.)
05-17-2010 03:40 AM
jbalat Offline

So no-one has anything to contribute here ??

Just thought I would post that 15.3 gave me really bad results. I have adjusted the AFR to 16 for cruise and I will test some more.
05-19-2010 03:45 PM
jbalat Offline

Ok so 16-16.3 got me back to slightly better than stock 12.4 L/100

I have adjusted to 16.9 AFR at cruise. Engine seems quite happy and responsive. Hope this yields some savings!!
05-24-2010 03:12 AM
LittleGreenDot Offline
Super Moderator

Hi jbalat,
You want your A/F ratio to be at 14.7:1 or higher to see the best savings.
http://www.tricktuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7
If you were running straight hho it would be as high as 33:1
I know you posted two years ago, hope you're still around.
Dot
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 01:45 PM by LittleGreenDot.)
08-31-2012 01:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply