Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Winter
ahsem1972 Offline

Winter
I just drained my unit for winter but I was wondering what others did do you add something to the water and do they work as good this is my first winter with one so I did not know what was best to use in it for winter.
http://www.mpgimprovements.com
11-07-2008 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HALS-GUNSMITHING Offline

RE: Winter
ahsem1972 Wrote:I just drained my unit for winter but I was wondering what others did do you add something to the water and do they work as good this is my first winter with one so I did not know what was best to use in it for winter.

20% isoprophl alcohol
11-07-2008 06:37 PM
thomasbala Offline

ahsem1972 Wrote:I just drained my unit for winter but I was wondering what others did do you add something to the water and do they work as good this is my first winter with one so I did not know what was best to use in it for winter.

Ashem1972:

Hals-Gunsmithing is right; a 20% [1 to 5 parts ] isopropyl [rubbing] alcohol is right on the money. You could also use HEET; a windshield methyl alcohol additive. Don't forget that alcohol, methyl, ethyl, isopropyl, etc. evaporates quickly. If you live in a cold clim don't leave your generator without a shot of alcohol, i.e. if you live in Ankorage and drive 30 miles to work don't shut down your vehicle or your HHO generator before you give it a "shot" and let it circulate through the whole sytem, cell, reservoir, tubing, etc; chances are in that 30 mile drive to work your cell heated up enough to evaporate your alcohol. Also, alcohol inhibits electrolysis; thus, you need to increase the concentration of your electrolyte. Don't be fooled by current low gas prices; use this hiatus to smarten up on HHO and beat big oil next round of high gas prices.
11-07-2008 07:17 PM
gtkco Offline

Well, for what it is worth, I did freeze tests on 1 part isopropyl [rubbing] alcohol 70% to 3 parts vinegar. First ice crystals began to form between 12-14 degrees. It was a heavy slush at 10 and might not expand through 1/4 inch tubing. By 6F it was solid ice crystals and would certainly damage a fully submerged system. But, probably not a open bath design and not bend the plates. The ice that it forms is not as hard as pure water.
11-07-2008 07:59 PM
sax88player Offline

what do people use to keep their bubbler from freezing? I have mine in a small jar and in wisconsin it's going to get down to sub-zero temps....
11-09-2008 10:44 PM
gtkco Offline

sax88player Wrote:what do people use to keep their bubbler from freezing? I have mine in a small jar and in wisconsin it's going to get down to sub-zero temps....

The bubbler is the easy one ( I assume you have a check valve between it and your system). Just put windshield fluid in it. But that is the least of your problems especially for wisconsin. Still haven't found a reliably tested method. So far, only series systems with high concentrations of naoh or koh might not be damaged by freezing (when they do freeze it is a soft loose ice). I have freeze tested up to 11 teas Naoh to 500 Ml of h2o over 48 hours. At -2 the h20 had formed a soft slush in 95% of the solution. 5% remained liquid. In this state it probably wouldn't burst or bend anything. Now all I have to do is make a gen that uses this concentration of electrolyte solution. Crazy
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2008 06:25 AM by gtkco.)
11-10-2008 06:24 AM